1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Thrik

Posts by Thrik

  • Casino Royale

    • Thrik
    • November 18, 2006 at 12:17 PM

    I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Everyone who I've spoken to thus far pretty much loved it, which is a far cry from the scattered ":/" opinions surrounding the latest few. Looked really good from the long trailer too.

  • Time for a new gaming/dev workstation

    • Thrik
    • November 15, 2006 at 9:11 PM

    I think the best answer to questions like these is to go to Dell and just order the highest spec gaming machine.

  • Fable - The Lost Chapters

    • Thrik
    • November 15, 2006 at 9:10 PM

    I loved it up until I stopped playing (college distracted me and I never got back into it), which was just after I beat the arena — how much more game was there after that?

    I know a lot of people were disappointed when it came out because of the hype, but since I walk straight through hype and don't let it influence my overall appreciation of a new game I was extremely pleased with how good a game it was. It may not have lived up to Molyneux's traditional hyping, but anyone who says it's a bad game wants lining up and shooting.

  • The Movies

    • Thrik
    • November 8, 2006 at 5:53 AM

    I thought it progressed to modern times as you played?

  • Wow

    • Thrik
    • November 7, 2006 at 12:36 AM

    Yes, the reason it's not used widely is because the effect literally only works with headphones and is difficult to produce; on stereo speakers it'll just sound dodgy, and on surround sound it obviously becomes redundant.

    When I read about it ages ago I recall it having something to do with them recording it by placing the microphone in the ear of a life-size human head model, and then they perform the sound around this model; somehow putting the microphone there makes it sound like genuine 3D sound when later played back through headphones.

    The catch is that the effect only works its best when your head, ear spacing, etc is roughly the same as the model they created it with. So while it's really awesome, it's no replacement for genuine surround sound and it takes a lot of extra work to produce, and as far as I'm aware would be impossible to use dynamically (ie: in games).

  • They Hunger: Lost Souls - The end is near

    • Thrik
    • November 6, 2006 at 6:04 PM

    name drop alert

  • Halloween Costumes!

    • Thrik
    • November 1, 2006 at 3:42 AM

    Truly amazing Bic.

    I sang your praises on my superb blog http://www.ryansgoblog.com/2006/11/01/h ... o-pumpkin/ (soon to be assimilated D:!!!!!).

  • Halloween Costumes!

    • Thrik
    • October 31, 2006 at 11:50 PM

    lol omg

    Did you make that? D:

  • what happend to......

    • Thrik
    • October 28, 2006 at 3:54 PM

    LOL at the latest post on Telnets' site.

    Quote

    So, im heading home on the train Friday eve, and its fairly full, but not so full that people would have to be packed againced eachother. Anyhow, im sitting in the seat right next to the door reading as its filling up at stops. There is this one guy, who was literaly brushing himself or something againced some 14 year old girl right next to me all the while hes got this stupid grin on his face. She tried to move a way a few times, but he ended up huddling againced her every time she did. I saw that he made her quite uncomfortable by the look in her face, and how nervous she was acting.

    Some things never change!!!

  • Mario Live

    • Thrik
    • October 19, 2006 at 9:05 AM

    Some people find a sense of accomplishment in pointing out that something was created in the past. I never did work out why.

  • battlefield 2142

    • Thrik
    • October 17, 2006 at 10:32 AM

    "In the latest CGW podcast, they received retail boxed copies of BF 2142.


    When you open the box, a big slip of paper falls out first, preceeding any discs or manuals. The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads.


    Now, I can live with certain in-game ads (though apparently there will be Dodge truck and Neon ads in the bleak, futuristic world of 2142), but including a lengthy description - outside of even the Eula - seems to indicate even EA knows that this is some shady borderline spyware shit. I don't support it and won't be buying 2142 (for a host of other reasons, too)."

    I think "FUCK OFF!" is a good response to that!

    Having been following the media more carefully, Quake Wars is looking like the more appealing of the two. I don't know if you guys have seen the videos on gametrailers.com, but the engineer deploys buildings in an RTS-like fashion and everything. It looked really good, while BF2142 looks a bit too much like Battlefield 2.

    I guess I'll see since I'll inevitable get both anyway.

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Thrik
    • October 17, 2006 at 7:53 AM

    Sticky this thread imo.

  • Post Your Pic Extravaganza 2006 ~~!

    • Thrik
    • October 14, 2006 at 12:13 PM

    Yeah, he moved across for the sake of career and love.

  • nforce 680i

    • Thrik
    • October 14, 2006 at 5:55 AM

    Do they normally only have one or something?

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Thrik
    • October 13, 2006 at 5:48 PM

    Post your positions, people! There's been at least a few new industry entries since the last post.

  • Wii Pre Orders

    • Thrik
    • October 13, 2006 at 1:52 AM

    If you enjoy a dramatically shortened lifespan.

  • Wii Pre Orders

    • Thrik
    • October 13, 2006 at 1:01 AM

    More like never.

  • Wii Pre Orders

    • Thrik
    • October 12, 2006 at 9:39 PM

    Yeah, with about four million units at launch I think shops will have plenty going. It certainly won't be the camp-all-night bonanza that the PS3 will be with its 400,000 units.

  • Psychonauts available on Steam

    • Thrik
    • October 12, 2006 at 7:07 PM

    I think you took that joke a bit too seriously ctswin. ;D

    I agree that having a game case used to be nice, but these days I don't really care either way. I think it's largely because publishers don't put much money into them anymore; manuals are almost always paltry, and all UK games have been in DVD cases for years now. All you're paying for is a DVD, a generic plastic DVD case, and a slip of artwork. Is that really anything to get excited about?

    Plus, whenever I get a console game I have to get it in a case anyway. It's bad enough finding room to put all those, nevermind PC ones too. Downloadable games is a good thing.

  • Psychonauts available on Steam

    • Thrik
    • October 12, 2006 at 5:35 AM

    Can't have everything in life. Not unless you happen to garotte a LucasArts lawyer and steal his identity anyway.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™