1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

compiling models for steam

  • m8nkey
  • October 27, 2007 at 3:29 AM
  • m8nkey
    • October 27, 2007 at 3:29 AM
    • #1

    I've started playing around with prop models from 3ds Max to Source (thanks Generalvivi for the tuts).

    When I goto compile my model using StudioMDL or Wunderboy's GUI I get the following error message:

    SteamStartup() failed: SteamStartup(0xf,0x0012F188) failed with error 1: Failed to duplicate pipe handle, Win32 Error 6 "The handle is invalid."

    I've even tried compiling qc's provided with the SDK and I still get this message.

    After attempting a compile, I get the same message if I run any game or SDK app from Steam and I have to re-install/repair Steam.

    Searched the net and checked the official Steam forums but haven't found a solution. btw I'm using Vista so that may have something to do with it.

  • Wunderboy
    • October 27, 2007 at 5:52 AM
    • #2

    Got steam started?

  • m8nkey
    • October 27, 2007 at 6:22 AM
    • #3
    Quote from Wunderboy

    Got steam started?

    Yep, after doing some further reading I found the error message was a generic Vista error (Win32 Error 6). Completely disabling UAC resolved it and my models compile fine now.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™