1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

CS_Metroplex

  • m8nkey
  • June 16, 2007 at 3:46 AM
  • m8nkey
    • January 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM
    • #41

    Thanks for the possitive comments on the road texture . My texturing skill are pretty ordinary. I applied a high res version to a box in 3ds max and bent it to create the curve followed by more ps work to tidy it up. It was simple but I wasted an entire day getting it right. For some reason I was getting seams between the curve and the straight texture even though it was completely seamless. I even blended them together as on giant texture in PS then cut it up and it still had seams. After hours of playing around and remaking the texture from scratch I found out that it was caused by the edge textures on the opposing side of the curve (because the curb is part of the texture). I offset a couple of pixels of the road to appear on the other side of the texture and it removed the seam.

    Some more wips

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/wip0006.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/wip0007.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/wip0008.jpg]

    this shot shows the refractive texture i'm working on for the shopping mall. hopefully it'll look alright and allow me to create a convincing internal area with limited detail.

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/wip0004.jpg]

    I'm looking for someone with better texturing skills than myself to assist in skinning my models. Please contact me if you're interested or know someone that might be.

  • Nexus
    • January 11, 2008 at 12:11 PM
    • #42

    the street looks to clean so add more decals..

  • D3ads
    • January 11, 2008 at 2:38 PM
    • #43

    That's coming along nicely! Love the Cinema listing

  • Sentura
    • January 11, 2008 at 7:43 PM
    • #44

    looks awesome m8nkey. now add some cars and change the trashbin to fit the theme!

  • m8nkey
    • January 13, 2008 at 5:54 AM
    • #45

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Nexus: You're right about decals but I consider them a finishing touch. I still haven't completed the world geometry or creating all the custom props I need which is what I'm concerned with atm.

    Sentura: A new bin and a bus are on my list of models to make, along with an ATM, phone booth, post box, building signage, bollards, magazine dispencer.

  • RA7
    • January 13, 2008 at 12:42 PM
    • #46

    Its just looking better and better

  • Nexus
    • January 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM
    • #47

    cought* spotlight

  • m8nkey
    • February 11, 2008 at 6:31 AM
    • #48

    Work has been busy as hell but I'm still slowly making progress on this thing. I've reconstructed and optimised a lot of the street area, reducing brushwork and doubling the size of footpaths to allow for street furniture. I've almost finalised most of the building brushwork with only a couple of buildings requiring additional detailing.

    kan3, a mapper/modeler/skinner whose skills well and truely exceed my own, has lightened the workload by helping me make all the custom assets I need. Also, Spine from Texturehub http://%7boption%7d has contributed some awesome parody building signage.

    Between kan3 and I we have all the models sorted, however, having a dedicated skin/texture artist would significantly reduce production time. As I've said before, my texturing skills suck balls.

    No additional screenshots yet but hopefully soon.

  • Yokai
    • February 14, 2008 at 8:10 PM
    • #49

    Wow, this is turning out well. Keep it up.

    Streets currently feel a little empty though, but I am sure that you probably already know.

  • m8nkey
    • February 24, 2008 at 2:58 AM
    • #50

    Due to the fact I made some significant layout changes and have worked on this map for over 16months, I started the brushwork again from scratch. I'd say the map is about %40 complete though progressing much faster now. My current goal is to get the interior to the same stage as outdoors before detailing the map.

    I know progress on this map has been slow and it's taken me longer than most to achieve. I'm not in any hurry though and I'm learning as I go (and working a demanding/shit job too).

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/wip060000.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/wip060001.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/wip060002.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/wip060003.jpg]

  • Punky
    • February 24, 2008 at 10:21 AM
    • #51

    Looks good, everything (all the curves etc) look really smooth. Your map is a bit empty though...

  • m8nkey
    • February 25, 2008 at 10:11 PM
    • #52
    Quote from m8nkey

    I'd say the map is about %40 complete though progressing much faster now.

    Interiors coming along nicely (so much easier than outside), Should have some pics in a week or two.

  • RA7
    • February 27, 2008 at 5:23 PM
    • #53

    New screens looks sweet, but empty streets :S

  • m8nkey
    • March 9, 2008 at 6:04 AM
    • #54

    Some interior texture set WIPs. Only %10 complete. Lighting will be much darker with wall fixtures and luminated movie posters. Ceiling will barely be visible

    kan3 is making some very cool interactive models for the map too

    *edit. Jpeg compression hasn't been very kind to these images. Looks a bit nicer in game

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/wip080006.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/wip080007.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/m8nkey/wip080009.jpg]

  • ⌐■_■
    • March 9, 2008 at 9:12 PM
    • #55

    looks cool man..

    also, how did you make the reflecting windows? used a tut on that?

  • m8nkey
    • March 10, 2008 at 6:28 AM
    • #56

    As a starting point I used GCFscape to extract all the Source materials so I could see how they imlpemented various effects. Using them as a base and through trial and error I came up with my on default settings for various materials.

    http://%7boption%7d

    My VMTs started off fairly complex using many additional parameters but eventually I whittled them down to the bare bones. I didn't see any benefit to the other parameters for what I was trying to achieve. For filesize and performance issues, I skimped out on bump maps for many of the reflective materials.

    Alphamap reflections without normal map:

    Open your VMF and create an Alpha Channel.

    Black = Reflective

    White= Matte

    Shades of grey for in-between

    Here's a typical VMT for alphamap reflections on a texture that doesn't have a normal map

    "LightmappedGeneric"

    {

    "$basetexture" "mapname/texture"

    "$envmap" "env_cubemap"

    "$basealphaenvmapmask" 1

    "$envmaptint" "[.03 .03 .03]" <----Intensity of the reflections

    }

    Texture with Alphamap reflections and Normal map:

    Create the Alpha Channel in the Normal map, NOT the diffuse map!

    Black = Matte

    White= Reflective

    I think the colour values are reversed but don't quote me. Mostly used this for tiles where the alphachannel was basically a flat shade.

    "LightmappedGeneric"

    {

    "$basetexture" "mapname/texture"

    "$surfaceprop" "concrete"

    "$bumpmap" "mapname/texture_normal"

    "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1

    "$envmap" "env_cubemap"

    "$envmaptint" "[ .1 .1 .1 ]"

    }

  • insta
    • March 10, 2008 at 10:41 AM
    • #57

    The places where the road goes up in the outdoor shots look more like a skateramp than an actual road. Give the incline more space and don't make it so smooth.

  • dux
    • March 10, 2008 at 11:46 AM
    • #58

    Omg insta, buddy, pal! I was just about to say that!

    Someone would seriously lose their car bumper going up those.

  • ⌐■_■
    • March 10, 2008 at 11:59 AM
    • #59

    wow, thanks m8nkey! that was extremely helpful

  • m8nkey
    • March 10, 2008 at 7:53 PM
    • #60

    I agree with Dux and Insta. I made the incline to reduce vis but didn't consider functionality. Wesley Tack pointed it out to me too so I've already doubled the distance over the incline resulting in a much more gental slope.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 8, 2026 at 7:49 PM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™