1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Deralia

  • Ewok
  • August 28, 2004 at 8:15 PM
  • Ewok
    • August 28, 2004 at 8:15 PM
    • #1

    This is a map for a mod i'm currently envolved in named Master Sword : Continued. It's a multiplayer fantasy rpg for Half-Life.

    I've used a few texture house sets to give it some variation so it's not bland, but not too many for it to lose the theme. There's a beacon in the center of the town, for that "beacon of humanity" type effect and acts as a lighthouse for the docks near by that I still have to add. Plus there will be people / npc's walking about in-game to add some life to the town.

    [Blocked Image: http://msremake.fragism.com/images2/deralia_beta0000.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://msremake.fragism.com/images2/deralia_beta0001.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://msremake.fragism.com/images2/deralia_beta0002.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://msremake.fragism.com/images2/deralia_beta0003.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://msremake.fragism.com/images2/deralia_beta0004.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://msremake.fragism.com/images2/deralia_beta0005.jpg]

    - Ewok

  • Mulciber
    • August 28, 2004 at 8:21 PM
    • #2

    Very nice.

    I can't wait for the new ms release.

  • GrayFox
    • August 28, 2004 at 8:51 PM
    • #3

    Add some benches and stuff to the streets. The streets look very empty even if you imagine all the ppl walking there...

  • PhilipK
    • August 28, 2004 at 9:42 PM
    • #4

    Great

    I like the lighting.

  • OL
    • August 28, 2004 at 10:57 PM
    • #5

    i like it but i needs things like wooden carts in the street, thats the only part that looks bland

  • Tequila
    • August 28, 2004 at 11:00 PM
    • #6
    Quote from OL

    i like it but i needs things like wooden carts in the street, thats the only part that looks bland

    How about orphans, riddled with black plague, lining the streets, begging for change?

  • Ewok
    • August 28, 2004 at 11:01 PM
    • #7

    Indeed. It seems to be the general consensus that the streets need detail. Although I haven't got to detailing the level, i'll make sure to add stuff to make the streets not so bland.

    - Ewok

  • von*ferret
    • August 29, 2004 at 12:20 AM
    • #8

    I really dislike that fade. It looks horrible imho. Your ilghting is really bland. BUt the map shows some really good prospects. Overall nice job

  • RA7
    • August 29, 2004 at 1:32 AM
    • #9

    Good job..:-)

  • insta
    • August 29, 2004 at 1:35 AM
    • #10

    That lighthouse lighting looks really trippy.

    Otherwise, good job, although its sorta early to say :G

  • Taylor
    • August 29, 2004 at 8:59 AM
    • #11

    That fire outside doesn't make a lot of sense. I take it that's supposed to be a blacksmith, but he can't be doing too much buisness if his fire goes out every time it rains; it needs a roof section (and a few anvils and weapons, fitting in with the hole "needs more... stuff" sentiments).

  • Ewok
    • August 29, 2004 at 1:12 PM
    • #12

    Yeah, I'm definitely going to be adding swords and stuff to make it seem right. Was contemplating adding thatch roofing, but then would that be stupid? possible fire hazard? I dunno, your thoughts?

    Also there will be a harbour, where you can travel and such which should be cool.

    - Ewok

  • Father Brandon
    • August 29, 2004 at 9:09 PM
    • #13

    I love it, and i can hardly wait to see the harbour

  • Minos
    • August 30, 2004 at 5:15 AM
    • #14

    Looks nice overall, but needs more variation and the streets are very empty now

  • Taylor
    • August 30, 2004 at 11:53 PM
    • #15

    thatch = a-ok

  • zaphod
    • August 31, 2004 at 12:17 AM
    • #16

    the lighthouse looks really wierd, the glowy things dont really make sense since the top is open, and it's too bright anyway. I think you could change the lighting to make it seem a lot more atmospheric and give it some more space. Right now it's pretty ambient with not much contrast. I would make the light_environment be more of a blueish hue, and make the light coming from the windows and street lamps contrast with the ambient light with a yellowish orangish color.

  • Father Brandon
    • August 31, 2004 at 1:39 AM
    • #17

    Yeha that would make the ambient a little more like "Thief" the first one, and if we impliment fog . BTW I loved thief's atmosphere.

  • zaphod
    • August 31, 2004 at 1:52 AM
    • #18

    Yea, fog would add some atmosphere too

  • Ewok
    • August 31, 2004 at 6:58 PM
    • #19

    Thanks Taylor, will do, probably post some pics this weekend of the updates that need to be added mentioned here.

    You're you right Zaphod about the lighthouse, the top is open so it doesn't make sense. I think I'll just leave the env_glow so it's like like an orb / glow of light. It is magical anyways, but then the fade must go.

    Fetter mentioned something about lighting and I couldn't really think of any better way then the light_environment, and as you mentioned blue it does make sense since the sky itself is very blue. So i'll be trying to perfect the lighting as well. Yeah, some house lit windows should look sex, must add. I was waiting for your advice Zaphod, cause you always point out some valid and a good solution clearly. Even if it may seem obvious at times.

    - Ewok

  • Ewok
    • September 5, 2004 at 2:40 PM
    • #20

    I would have new shots of the improved lighting and some really early shots of the harbour / dock area, but hey what can I say, got this new compile error that i've never got before. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated and speed the progress of the map.

    The error is...

    Error: File read failure

    Thanks. Ewok out.

    - Ewok

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™