1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Normal maps in Source overlays?

  • Furyo
  • April 7, 2007 at 10:51 PM
  • Furyo
    • April 7, 2007 at 10:51 PM
    • #1

    I'm trying to find out if I can use a simple normal map as an overlay, with no basetexture, and if yes what type of shader I should be using.

    I've tried all the logical ones I could think of, and the normal map appears either white or black in game

  • hessi
    • April 7, 2007 at 11:05 PM
    • #2

    belongs to engine discussion!

    though there is no way i know to do this with an overlay. if you have a simple structure where you want to put this normal mapped material, then add a brush above it with 1 unit height difference. otherwise if you wanted a normalmap overlay onto a displacement or so, i got no freakin' idea

  • Furyo
    • April 7, 2007 at 11:18 PM
    • #3

    There, I moved it

    No, I just wanted to come up with a bootprint overlay. A simple normal map that would be displayed on top of whatever ground you want to use.

    I tried to use a blank basetexture in case one was needed, but the normal map remains black

  • merkaba
    • April 22, 2007 at 1:31 AM
    • #4

    I don't think decals/overlays support any sort of effects like normal maps, env maps, or selfillum maps (we certainly haven't had any luck doing this in NS2)

    Maybe you could get a similar effect using the modulation shader, which will let you define shadow/highlights onto the surface it's used on. It would basically be a faked normal map, but it could still look cool maybe.

    Completely off-topic, it is possible to have animated decals & overlays (frame animations).

  • Bl1tz
    • April 22, 2007 at 1:45 AM
    • #5
    Quote from Furyo

    There, I moved it No, I just wanted to come up with a bootprint overlay. A simple normal map that would be displayed on top of whatever ground you want to use.

    I tried to use a blank basetexture in case one was needed, but the normal map remains black

    Did you try changing the values of the alpha channel in the diffuse map? Maybe if you make the alpha channel completely white (or is it black? I forget) it will make the diffuse map completely invisible and only display the normal map.

  • Furyo
    • April 22, 2007 at 1:52 AM
    • #6

    Yeah that's what I tried Blitz, but as Merkaba put it, I think I've come to the conclusion that normal maps or any other fancy effect can't be used with any vmt that would reference a decal.

    And yes, animating an overlay is very feasible, we're using that to some extent in our current game.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™