1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Interesting take on the commercial failure of BG&E...

  • Furyo
  • August 3, 2006 at 11:22 AM
  • Furyo
    • August 3, 2006 at 11:22 AM
    • #1

    ...or how NOT to launch a game like that.

    http://jumpbuttonmag.com/?p=25

    King Kong was the following game, and we're now working on Rayman Raving Rabbids for the Wii.

  • Warby
    • August 3, 2006 at 12:26 PM
    • #2

    i played and loved beyond good and evil but this article .... after reading it i still dont know what went wrong ?! other games that arnt franchises oder movie tie ins make money ... like i dont know ... god of war (best game ever btw) ?!

  • Patrick_H
    • August 8, 2006 at 1:24 PM
    • #3

    Beyond Good and Evil really was a fabulous game. I have played dozens of PS2 titles, and that is one of the few I have kept on my shelf. Shame on all those who never played it! It just reaffirms my belief in the bad taste of the masses.

  • Thrik
    • August 8, 2006 at 5:31 PM
    • #4

    Yeah, truly. It's without a doubt one of the best games I've ever played on any medium, and I put it in a similar league to the likes of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango.I'm still bewildered by its lacking sales considering how good it is. I mean, it's hard to emphasise to those who haven't played it just how good it is, short of simply saying "just play it".

    So seriously. Anyone who hasn't played it needs to ASAP at risk of severely missing out. It's available on PS2, Xbox, GC and PC, though the PC port was a bit shittily done when I played it. I recommend getting it for a console.

    As far as general play goes it's comparable to Zelda, though obviously it's a lot different in that it's futuristic and has a different style. It's got the massive bosses, dialogue, puzzles, big world and all that shit though.

    The YouTube trailer is worth seeing, even though it only shows the action stuff.

  • Polaris
    • August 8, 2006 at 5:38 PM
    • #5

    I've seen this in bargain bins before for about $5. Should pick up a copy next time

  • Thrik
    • August 8, 2006 at 5:48 PM
    • #6

    Haha awesome, I love YouTube. Someone's put the whole intro (including ingame stuff) up, which those who're on the edge about trying it might want to watch.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    Put me in the mood for sorting out my GameCube for some this weekend. ;D Looks even better than I remember it too graphically, which is a kind of rare thing to say. ¬¬

  • Alf-Life
    • August 8, 2006 at 8:19 PM
    • #7

    I got a friend to buy it and now he loves it despite being skeptical with the silly (but cool) title and the "strange" style. As he describes it.

    He now describes it as ... "the animation is so perfect" ... "I love the characters" ... "It's like a movie." ... "It's just so perfect" ... "The Pig-man is cool."

  • KoKo5oVaR
    • August 8, 2006 at 8:26 PM
    • #8

    That game got a really "french" artstyle, it reminds me many french comics

  • Polaris
    • August 8, 2006 at 8:27 PM
    • #9
    Quote from KoKo5oVaR

    That game got a really "french" artstyle, you saw that really often in french comics

    Speaking of which, anybody play XIII? It's also by Ubisoft.

  • KoKo5oVaR
    • August 8, 2006 at 8:28 PM
    • #10

    I played it like 3 years ago i think, but it wasn't as good as i was expected :/

  • Polaris
    • August 8, 2006 at 8:31 PM
    • #11

    Yea, it did end up as just a generic shooter in many ways. Though I did like the art style, the those pop-up comic panels when you killed an enemy, and the way you could pick up tons of different things and use them against the enemey. The chair was the best lol

  • KoKo5oVaR
    • August 8, 2006 at 9:46 PM
    • #12

    Yeah probably true peris, infact in don't see many comics from other european countries in book shops, so i can't really tell

  • Thrik
    • August 8, 2006 at 10:11 PM
    • #13

    Well the game was designed by Michel Ancel (Rayman), and he's French.

  • Furyo
    • August 8, 2006 at 11:09 PM
    • #14

    It was made in the studio I currently work at, in Montpellier. The PC port was done by Ubisoft Milan in Italy

  • Furyo
    • August 8, 2006 at 11:30 PM
    • #15

    No I arrived there last march (first job in the industry), right after they were done with King Kong, which was the game following BG&E.

    Working with Michel Ancel definitely is a great experience and a challenging opportunity to get better and better at what you do...

  • Thrik
    • August 15, 2006 at 8:48 PM
    • #16

    Random article about Jade (main character in BGAE) here:

    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/58/21

  • KungFuSquirrel
    • August 16, 2006 at 1:16 AM
    • #17
    Quote from Furyo

    No I arrived there last march (first job in the industry), right after they were done with King Kong, which was the game following BG&E.Working with Michel Ancel definitely is a great experience and a challenging opportunity to get better and better at what you do...

    Damn, you're my hero

  • ReNo
    • August 16, 2006 at 9:48 AM
    • #18

    Once Ancel has finished rekindling his fire with Rayman he'd better get on to making a game that lives up to BG&E's potential. It was such a good premise and hinted at such great things, but for me it never reached the heights it should have. BG&E scaled up to match something like The Wind Waker would be a beautiful thing indeed.

  • RD
    • August 16, 2006 at 11:30 AM
    • #19

    I think the game flopped quite simply because it wasnt good enough. If it was a superb adventure game, word would have spread, i would have bought it. I thought about buying it this week but after reading some reviews i thought... nevermind.

  • Thrik
    • August 16, 2006 at 11:44 AM
    • #20

    You're wrong.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™