1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Vileville WIP

  • Patrick_H
  • June 15, 2006 at 5:46 AM
  • Patrick_H
    • June 15, 2006 at 5:46 AM
    • #1

    Hi all, I have been a lurker here for some time now, but its finally time to post...

    This is one of my current projects for UT2k4, Vileville.

    An old fashioned town that's eerily deserted...something is very wrong here in Vileville. The architecture is inspired by the many turn-of-the-century brick buildings in my area. Its 99% custom textures and meshes. Its still in the relatively early stages here- I'll be adding a horror-themed sewer system beneath the streets, and there will be access to the rooftops. Between those additions players will enjoy some vertical gameplay in the level design.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.otherlander.com/vile01.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.otherlander.com/vile02.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.otherlander.com/vile03.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.otherlander.com/vile04.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.otherlander.com/vile05.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.otherlander.com/vile06.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.otherlander.com/vile07.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.otherlander.com/vile08.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.otherlander.com/vile09.jpg]

  • Bic-B@ll
    • June 15, 2006 at 6:59 AM
    • #2

    i like it a lot though it completely lacks in differentiation, the same exact textures/models are used on every building and it looks bad. give some buildings darker bricks or something, balconies, i dont know.

  • General Vivi
    • June 15, 2006 at 8:24 AM
    • #3

    i actually like the way it looks .

  • Sa74n
    • June 15, 2006 at 10:16 AM
    • #4

    looks pretty good to me. i hope you will work out the style a bit further looking forward to the next WIP pics

  • KoKo5oVaR
    • June 15, 2006 at 12:35 PM
    • #5

    omg that's really sweet, the atmosphere is here for me. Although as it was said previously, the windows model is a bit repetitive, you could use various ones

  • hessi
    • June 15, 2006 at 1:22 PM
    • #6

    good work. your lighting is pretty cool. i'm curious where you can push it!

  • Patrick_H
    • June 15, 2006 at 1:59 PM
    • #7

    Hi guys... I recognize generalvivi, he's seen this stuff over at pixelmorgue!

    I have to agree that the overall design needs more variety. The brick textures and window meshes are sort of a starting point, so I can get a feel for the atmosphere of the environment. I do plan on having at least a couple more types of buildings, with new exterior textures, as well as new architectural meshes like windows doorframes and trims. I was hoping to get a sense of what others thought of the map so far. Hopefully I will get some more pics up soon.

  • ⌐■_■
    • June 15, 2006 at 2:04 PM
    • #8

    I like the lighting alot, as I do the textures and the atmosphere, but I'd scale the floortexture down alot! It's way too big imo.

    But yeah, love the looks of it!

  • Patrick_H
    • June 15, 2006 at 2:17 PM
    • #9
    Quote from killertomato

    I like the lighting alot, as I do the textures and the atmosphere, but I'd scale the floortexture down alot! It's way too big imo.But yeah, love the looks of it!

    That's not a bad idea. I was considering making use of Unreal's static meshes to make a modular floor mesh with the cobblestone texture applied to a bunch of actual modeled stones and repeated as necessary.

  • dissonance
    • June 15, 2006 at 4:09 PM
    • #10

    Reminds me of Arcanum, very nicely done.

  • Squirrelly
    • June 15, 2006 at 7:26 PM
    • #11

    Love it.

  • MJ
    • June 15, 2006 at 10:11 PM
    • #12

    luv those arches..

  • RA7
    • June 17, 2006 at 12:52 PM
    • #13

    Sweetttttt

  • mabufo
    • June 17, 2006 at 6:43 PM
    • #14

    It looks brilliant.

  • mike-0
    • June 18, 2006 at 6:07 AM
    • #15

    looks solid, but you should consider vines and trees and shit to break things apart

  • JeanPaul
    • June 18, 2006 at 5:37 PM
    • #16

    I quite like it, but your lighting is way to white.

  • nico
    • June 20, 2006 at 12:25 AM
    • #17

    those lamps looks like they belong inside a submarine or something. Change them with something else, and work on lighting. Other than that is looks pretty sweet to me =)

  • Patrick_H
    • June 20, 2006 at 3:34 AM
    • #18
    Quote from nico

    those lamps looks like they belong inside a submarine or something. Change them with something else, and work on lighting. Other than that is looks pretty sweet to me =)

    I can't disagree with that. They will be something I will relegate to the sewer areas instead. Already working up a much better, more elegant lamp.

    ...maybe a bit like this?

    [Blocked Image: http://www.otherlander.com/vv_lamp01.jpg]

  • nico
    • June 20, 2006 at 1:53 PM
    • #19

    that would be better, yes.

  • KoKo5oVaR
    • June 20, 2006 at 2:01 PM
    • #20

    you could have both of them

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™