1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

I'm so pro it hurts.

  • The Postman
  • December 30, 2005 at 12:15 AM
  • The Postman
    • December 30, 2005 at 12:15 AM
    • #1

    There's a bit of a debate foaming in the background about how "pro" mapcore is. How acceptably professional and presentable we are, as a whole, to the outside game design community.

    There have been a few changes to my liking. Namely my cracking down on AOL-speak in Poli. Disc. and a quick hammer taken to those who try to sneak EOT-esque stuff out of EOT. However Stolve just messaged me and said that zilla just changed his idiotking avatar because it wasn't "pro" enough for the 'core. Come on. That's just petty. I know there's a contingent of 'core folks that don't like EOT, but it serves its purpose and is a bonding factor for more than a few 'core regulars. To change his avatar for the reason given is just rolleyes-tastic.

    Every art forum I've ever been to has a goofy, pally, clique atmosphere and while being pro allows people to pretty much keep their avatars as they will so long as they're not intentionally offensive.

    Let the stolve keep his old avatar

  • st0lve
    • December 30, 2005 at 12:23 AM
    • #2

    ps we are talking about the idiot king avatar, not my regular (which I now changed to the old ik avatar).

  • RD
    • December 30, 2005 at 12:25 AM
    • #3

    i think you should be grateful to mike because i like the new one better, its awesome

  • Grinwhrl
    • December 30, 2005 at 4:14 AM
    • #4

    new avy is cool

  • mikezilla
    • December 30, 2005 at 4:25 AM
    • #5

    it was just a stepping stone on redoing the forum.

    i like the new one

  • st0lve
    • December 30, 2005 at 12:52 PM
    • #6

    thats cause you made it.

    atleast let me draw it, it will be AWESOME.

  • Thrik
    • December 30, 2005 at 2:59 PM
    • #7

    Delete EoT. [Blocked Image: http://olympus.tkvault.net/images/tup.gif]

  • The Postman
    • December 30, 2005 at 5:35 PM
    • #8
    Quote from Pericolos0

    the new one doesnt have a monocle anymore

    This is disturbing in and of itself. If anything, let stolve draw the new one. I don't think it needs remaking whatsoever in any case.

  • Skjalg
    • December 30, 2005 at 8:02 PM
    • #9

    can someone post pictures of the "new" one.. All i see is st0lve using the old avatar twice...

  • FrieChamp
    • December 30, 2005 at 10:34 PM
    • #10
    Quote from Skjalg

    can someone post pictures of the "new" one.. All i see is st0lve using the old avatar twice...

    The F5 key is your friend

  • Skjalg
    • December 31, 2005 at 3:16 AM
    • #11
    Quote from FrieChamp

    The F5 key is your friend

    hm weird ;P It actually made a sign-in box pop up on my screen from teamkilled.net or something... weird

    But atleast now i see that horrible thing, the old one was waaaaaaay better!

  • Thrik
    • December 31, 2005 at 4:13 AM
    • #12

    Yeah, that was my fault. Sorry about that.

  • Bic-B@ll
    • December 31, 2005 at 4:32 AM
    • #13

    way to be pro thrik

  • Jezpuh
    • December 31, 2005 at 2:16 PM
    • #14

    I like the old idiot king avatar better.

  • st0lve
    • December 31, 2005 at 5:02 PM
    • #15

    [Blocked Image: http://img491.imageshack.us/img491/4006/iknew0ya.jpg]

    is that pro enough? or does it sux major eot balls?

    SNAP!

    I forgot the mono thingy, wil ladd tomorrow!

  • Tequila
    • December 31, 2005 at 5:03 PM
    • #16

    I like that.

  • General Vivi
    • January 1, 2006 at 9:53 AM
    • #17

    he he i better go off and redo some of my stuff so i can become pro one day . the hopes and dreams.

  • st0lve
    • January 1, 2006 at 2:48 PM
    • #18
    Quote from Pericolos0

    excellent but worthless without monocle

    so true.how could I forget that? D:!!!!1

    I SUCK,-

  • Bl1tz
    • January 2, 2006 at 11:34 AM
    • #19

    Mapcore really doesn't have a "professional" image. For years, mapcore was always kind of the laughing stock of the level design community as a whole. I admit I was one of those who ignored mapcore for a long time simply because of its reputation.

    HOWEVER!

    I started idling in the chan more and more and there are some genuinely good people who compose the "core" of mapcore. I think the problem is that it's mostly presumed to be a Counter-Strike editing site, so you get the people who make posts like

    "dis map teh secks" (even if it's ironic, it's not funny)

    "nice"

    And so forth. Most of the time it doesn't come across like the users have helpful/insightful advice to give, but I know now that isn't the case. Off the top of my head, I know Reno from Snarkpit who posts here always goes out of his way to post helpful/well thought out advice, and I think you guys should look at that as an example.

    Even if a map is tremendously shitty, it's best to just tell them that it's not good for reasons A, B, and C, and give them the resources and areas in which they should improve.

    This is definitely not a barb at mapcore -- most of you are excellent mappers and great design minds -- I'm simply speaking about the way the board is perceived outside of here.

  • Kosmo
    • January 2, 2006 at 1:25 PM
    • #20

    So the bottom line is that if I redo an avatar, I become pro?

    How awesome is that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™