1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Level art for an RTS...

  • marque_pierre
  • June 25, 2005 at 10:39 PM
  • marque_pierre
    • June 25, 2005 at 10:39 PM
    • #1

    Hi there,

    Got a freelance contract to produce art for a medieval action puzzle game. I suppose the art will closely resemble what you would find in your run of the mill RTS. Does anybody here have experience making such stuff?

    It seems that at every turn I have to keep asking myself, whether to make this or that in 3D or 2D. It seems the workflow is very much a balance between these two. Like make something that looks bearable in 3D, then touch it up in 2D, and produce the sprite from there...

  • Defrag
    • June 25, 2005 at 11:02 PM
    • #2

    It'd probably be better to ask that question in the other 3d modeling forum. Congrats on the contract

  • kleinluka
    • June 25, 2005 at 11:27 PM
    • #3

    Who cares where it's asked.

    I would say that you should discuss the details with your art director probably.

  • marque_pierre
    • June 26, 2005 at 12:05 AM
    • #4

    My art director? lol I wish...

    Well, this is a small company consisting of some ex-industry coders. I think they worked on City of Heroes, who are trying their hand at indie games released and sold over the net. So I am pretty much... the art department. Don't think there would be work enough for more people in this title I am working on. Such projects are many on the net, but this paid! Like cash up front and all + royalties. Still can't believe it... Anyway compared to the first title they did it shouldn't be too hard improving on the art, but I want it to really shine. You know something more than what would impress a programmer...

  • ReNo
    • June 26, 2005 at 2:19 AM
    • #5

    So is this game played from a fixed isometric perspective? I know what you mean about impressing programmers; seems to be far easier than impressing the general gaming public for some reason

  • marque_pierre
    • June 26, 2005 at 9:17 AM
    • #6

    Yes it is from a fixed perspective in a 2D engine. The suggestion was to make it pure top down, but do you have any idea how hard it is to make things look good in pure top down perspective?

  • ReNo
    • June 26, 2005 at 12:56 PM
    • #7

    Hehe, I do indeed I did a fully top down turn based strategy type project on the playstation a couple of years ago, and everything looked absolutely god awful. Then again, I made the sprites in flash, in an afternoon, so what did I expect!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™