1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Buying new cam...

  • skdr
  • May 3, 2005 at 1:26 PM
  • skdr
    • May 3, 2005 at 1:26 PM
    • #1

    So I was planning buying a new camera. Digital one. My friend has this Fuji cam, a bit older model but still almost the same:

    http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/fuji_finepix_f810.htm

    I was shooting to that price range. That Fuji model is really good, tested it few weeks ago. Any experience with this specific model, anyone? Any suggestions for other cams?

    Thanks in advance.

  • JynxDaddy
    • May 3, 2005 at 2:46 PM
    • #2

    I hear Nikon is the brand to buy! (and to tell other people to buy)

  • st0lve
    • May 3, 2005 at 3:25 PM
    • #3

    I use a fuji camera (s5000), and Im happy with it (compared to the price).

    I think that camera should do well unless you want some super pro stuff (SLR and that stuff).

  • Zazi
    • May 3, 2005 at 5:10 PM
    • #4

    I have a Nikon CoolPix 5200, and boy let me tell you it rocks!

    Everything about it is just pure awesome. Hell, with the "scene mode" it basically takes the pictures for you without you pressing a button! haha...

    No, seriously though. If you want an awesome digital camera, get the CoolPix 5200.

  • Kosmo
    • May 6, 2005 at 8:32 AM
    • #5

    What is wrong with you ppl, you talk about cameras and not a single person mentions cameras made by god himself Canon.

    Canon (insert model name here) kicks ass big time, I should know, I have been using them for years and taken thousands of photos and even sold some and used them in ads and public stuff. I have used some other cameras like the Nikon D70 here at work and I say the Nikon UI sucks hiney.

  • Zazi
    • May 6, 2005 at 6:09 PM
    • #6
    Quote from Kosmo

    What is wrong with you ppl, you talk about cameras and not a single person mentions cameras made by god himself Canon.Canon (insert model name here) kicks ass big time, I should know, I have been using them for years and taken thousands of photos and even sold some and used them in ads and public stuff. I have used some other cameras like the Nikon D70 here at work and I say the Nikon UI sucks hiney.

    You're kidding, right? Not only do Cannon digital cameras have the HIGHEST return rate among all other digi cam brands, but they also break the most too. The most common issue with Cannon digital camers is the liquid in the LCD screen on the cameras escapes the glass and breaks the screen. Yeah, THERE is a good design! PFFF!

  • Kosmo
    • May 6, 2005 at 6:22 PM
    • #7

    Yeah, go back to land trallalaa where you found those "facts", all professional photographers in newspapers use either Canon cameras or Leicas (but leica users are near gods anyway). Every single photographer in National Geographic use Canon cameras, James Nachtwey uses Canon cameras and he takes photos in the middle of a war zone so I think he relies to a camera that works in extreme conditions.

    I have never ever heard of such thing you said, but if you can come up with solid proof I can agree.

  • TomWithTheWeather
    • May 6, 2005 at 7:08 PM
    • #8

    I've owned a Canon Digital Rebel for a year and just recently bought a Canon D20. I've never had problems with either.

    I worked in a photo lab for three years and roughly 90% of the professional customers we had used Canon. The others use Nikon. These pros ranged from wedding to newspaper to magazine to artistic photographers.

    I'm not saying Canon is the best or the worst. They make really decent entry-level-pro to high-end-pro cameras. But so does Nikon and other brands. I'm with Canon because my first serious camera was a Canon and my lenses are Canon EF series, therefore if I upgrade, it makes sense for me to stick with Canon, unless for some stupid reason I wanted to purchase all new gear.

    As far as DSLR's are concerned, Canon makes some of the best. The D20 I just bought is AMAZING. It's the best camera Canon makes that isn't $8000 or more.

  • Kosmo
    • May 6, 2005 at 7:15 PM
    • #9

    Well one thing I noticed using the Canon Digital Rebel (EOS 300D in europe) and Nikon D70 was that D70 was a tad better than the Canon offering, but that was just a step so nothing for entry level camera buyer should be considered, they both do the job with outstanding quality.

    But tables turned pretty fast with the new Canon Digital Rebel XT (EOS 350D in europe) and Canon D20, even some professional photographers jumped from Nikon camp to Canon to use the D20, and I have to say, if you are going to buy a pro-sumer camera, you can't find anything better than D20 it has everything the stone hard pro camera widgets and doohikeys but only thing is that it doesn't have 35mm CMOS sensor.

    I myself am going with some medium format cameras and digibacks to go with it, it is the way to go.

  • TomWithTheWeather
    • May 6, 2005 at 7:18 PM
    • #10
    Quote from Zazi

    You're kidding, right? Not only do Cannon digital cameras have the HIGHEST return rate among all other digi cam brands, but they also break the most too. The most common issue with Cannon digital camers is the liquid in the LCD screen on the cameras escapes the glass and breaks the screen. Yeah, THERE is a good design! PFFF!

    Highest return rate? Probably because it's the most popular brand among casual/non-pro photographers. Besides, most non-pro cameras aren't build nearly as solid as the pro level cameras. For instance, the gen1 Rebel's body is made of plastic whereas the pro equivalent 10D's body is made of a magnesium alloy. Both of these cameras are solid, but the 10D is like a tank.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™