1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Vault
  3. Archived Forums
  4. Services

SEEKING YOU ADVICE : COMPOSER & MUSIC FOR GAMES

  • Jon_Forest
  • March 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM
  • Jon_Forest
    • March 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM
    • #1

    Hi everyone, [/b]


    My name is Jon, long time lurker, first-time poster![/b]


    I’m a composer based in Melbourne and just starting out - my focus is writing immersive interactive music for games. I was hoping to get some advice/guidance from you.[/b]


    I’ve put together a website (http://www.jonforest.com.au) with a few samples of my music but I’m not entirely sure where to go from here.[/b]


    What are things that you look for when hiring a composer to make music for your games? [/b]


    My point of difference is to make a unique and customised piece of music for games that really “pops” over using “stock” sounds that anyone/everyone has access to? So, what would make you hire a composer like me over using stock websites like http://www.musicbed.com/%E2%80%8E that provide cheap or free effects/music etc?[/b]


    If anyone has any feedback or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated![/b]


    Thanks[/b]

    Jon[/b]

  • -HP-
    • March 10, 2017 at 6:47 PM
    • #2

    I think it's a bit creepy that your website main page focus on a huge photo of your face. xD Otherwise I really like the website, clean and to the point. I wish I could seek the tracks tho, seems like if I click the timeline in the track, it just pauses the music. (I found your soundcloud page tho, so I could check out the tracks better)

    Also, game developers look a lot for "ambient" tracks, music that just sits great on the background, with not a lot of ups and downs. The tracks you have on there seem to be great for cutscenes or set pieces in a game, but not necessarly for mood or ambient music, which is usually the most looked after musics for games.

    Usually games follow this formula: Main theme track (with a very recognizable main melody), used in the intro, credits and main cutscenes, the rest of the tracks are usually sort of ambient music. You'll definitely see that pattern if you listen closely to a lot of games soundtracks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™