1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Vault
  3. Archived Forums
  4. Students and Beginners

Searching for a Game Engine ...

  • MstrPBK
  • February 7, 2017 at 10:37 PM
  • MstrPBK
    • February 7, 2017 at 10:37 PM
    • #1

    Many of you have heard the question before ...

    ... Let's start with ... I am now 59 years old. Since high school (1970's) I've wanted to design my own RPG game. The project has grown in my head from something interesting to something extremely complex (the same game). What I need help in is to choose the right game engine to begin this work. My foundation of knowledge is out of the 1970's BASIC programming that was taught in many high schools at the time; I am aware that coding structure; and languages has changed over the years; and that game engines are more intuitive as some are 'plug and test' systems. I've also gained some basic animation theory over the years; and at some point I'ld like to explore 3D creature rendering.. I know that this project is NOT an overnight project.

    I am on an Apple Mac Mini. Recently I've thought that maybe the best way to get started is to begin simply by developing a crawler type game (Brogue would be a good example) and work the variants up from there; and then move over to a 2D tile variant (like Dungeon Crawl - Stone Soup). The longer term goal is to create a gaming environment that is 3D multiplayer (limited numbers) to finally evolve up to an open playing environment with much larger numbers of persons. These later worlds would be quite random and hyper-dynamic.

    So the question is ... what game style ought i start with, and what game engine should I use? I'm alive and kicking now, but life only lasts so long!

    Peter Kelley - St. Paul, MN USA

  • taz-ed
    • February 8, 2017 at 11:49 AM
    • #2

    I would use the UE4 game engine and build the game with Blue prints no coding skills neeed and is really easy to pick up and from the blue prints you can create a fps ,topdown or isometric game view, also with the UE4 there free game style samples you can use and build on https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Blueprints/

  • Sjonsson
    • February 27, 2017 at 9:25 PM
    • #3

    Hello Peter! Amazing to hear you want to give it a go! I would second taz-ed suggestion when it comes to the coding. Blueprints is easier to get into indeed. Another suggestion is trying out the Dungeon Crawler / Roguelike tutorial that the game engine Unity provides. It's on a basic level and there are thorough tutorial videos for the whole process of making a simple game. Check it out here: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorial…uelike-tutorial

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™