1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Can't decide - maya or 3da max?

  • RealaxFourX
  • September 14, 2016 at 9:29 AM
  • grapen
    • September 15, 2016 at 5:23 PM
    • #21

    Photoshop CC is 10 bucks a month. It's worth it.

    There's also nothing wrong with blender.

  • -HP-
    • September 15, 2016 at 6:10 PM
    • #22
    Quote from grapen

    46 minutes ago, grapen said: Photoshop CC is 10 bucks a month. It's worth it.

    There's also nothing wrong with blender.

    Other than no studio that I know of, actually uses it for development.

  • grapen
    • September 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    • #23
    Quote from (HP)

    31 minutes ago, (HP) said: Other than no studio that I know of, actually uses it for development.

    The tool fits his needs. He wants to make a personal commercial project, but has no money. Might as well learn to model in one tool, then migrate to the next should he ever need to.

  • Motanum
    • September 15, 2016 at 10:54 PM
    • #24

    For CSGO, I am using 3ds Max, simply because of Wall Worm. I wouldn't be doing CSGO maps if Wall Worm didn't exist. The issue here is the licensing, I could afford a static license, but if you can;t, then use the student version. Learn it, and once you can afford it, get the full license. That's the Autodesk strategy, they give their software free to students, and when they become professionals, they pay their full licenses.

    Buy photoshop, is not that expensive, 10 bucks a month and it's very much worth it, everyone uses it. I used Gimp early on, but never really catch up. When I bough photoshop and learnt it, I haven't looked back at all.

    Substance Designer/Painter are pretty cheap on a Steam sales, so no reason not to get those either.

    I think the reason not many studios use blender is support. A company needs support from the company when developing in house tools. I had to use autodesk support a few time, and they are very quick to respond.

  • biXen
    • September 16, 2016 at 3:01 PM
    • #25

    3D tools are obviously not the simplest things to learn, but I honestly think Blender is a cluster-f*** of a UI, but it is very cool that there is such a good tool/renderer that is free. I just hope it becomes better. If you want to actually work with this stuff it's better to just go with Maya / 3DS. You can compete in competions and stuff with non-commercial version so until you sell something or work for someone you should be okay.

    Companies don't use blender because they have pipelines that are built for Maya or 3DS most likely.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™