1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Architecture Books

  • JSadones
  • January 21, 2016 at 4:41 PM
  • JSadones
    • January 21, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    • #1

    Hey all, recently I have been looking for something to read while not working in hammer.

    Would there be any books that you guys recommend?
    I tried googling, but I'm getting all these architecture books that are for real architects.

    I'm more looking at books to do with building styles/environment/designing a house/...

  • poLemin
    • January 21, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    • #2

    Possibly not EXACTLY what you are looking for, but I found the book "An Architectural Approach to Level Design" by Christopher W. Totten a phenomenal lecture since it tells a lot about architectual and spatial principles applicable to level design. Have a look at it! Highly recommended!

  • laminutederire
    • January 21, 2016 at 6:39 PM
    • #3
    Quote from JSadones

    Hey all, recently I have been looking for something to read while not working in hammer.

    Would there be any books that you guys recommend?
    I tried googling, but I'm getting all these architecture books that are for real architects.

    I'm more looking at books to do with building styles/environment/designing a house/...

    I'd advise you the taschen collection. Not so expensive, and they are noon friendly at least that's what I started reading

    if you want some architectural theory insights I'd suggest autobiographies of famous architect :) I have Frank Lloyd Wright 's one and it's somewhat insightful :)

  • jakuza
    • January 21, 2016 at 6:59 PM
    • #4
    Quote from laminutederire

    I'd advise you the taschen collection. Not so expensive, and they are noon friendly at least that's what I started reading

    if you want some architectural theory insights I'd suggest autobiographies of famous architect I have Frank Lloyd Wright 's one and it's somewhat insightful

    Love flipping through "Architecture Now!" for inspiration on form and space. Good photography and great architecture.

  • laminutederire
    • January 21, 2016 at 7:08 PM
    • #5
    Quote from jakuza

    Love flipping through "Architecture Now!" for inspiration on form and space. Good photography and great architecture.

    they have an impressing catalog because they have themed books, like on wood or things like that, then they have general books, historic books, or architect specific etc :)

  • mjens
    • January 21, 2016 at 8:17 PM
    • #6

    Here ya go, dude:

    http://www.amazon.com/Architecture-Francis-D-K-Ching/dp/0471752169/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453407348&sr=1-14

    http://www.amazon.com/Design-Everyda…n/dp/1452654123

    http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Magic-…y/dp/0486271323

    http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Principles-Design-Revised-Updated/dp/1592535879/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436661859&sr=1-1

    http://www.amazon.com/Theory-Design-…e/dp/0195037537

    http://www.amazon.com/101-Things-Learned-Architecture-School/dp/0262062666/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453407312&sr=1-1


    It's not only architecture but also design etc. but IMO very useful stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™