1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

[HOMM3:HD] Dragon's Prize

  • Sjonsson
  • July 29, 2015 at 1:08 AM
  • Sjonsson
    • July 29, 2015 at 1:08 AM
    • #1

    Hello there Mapcore!

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/3C3i44z.jpg]

    What and why?
    Followed by the HD release of the classic Heroes of Might & Magic 3 came my desire for making a map for the game. Partially because it's fun to work with aged engines (dunno, I'm a masochist) and partially because I wanted to put my documenting and research skills to the test. HOMM3 is a game with a vast variety of spells, units and different mechanics that you have to keep in mind when designing maps and more problematic; the game is pretty unbalanced in certain ways on purpose. Everyone who have played any of the HOMM games know random factors such as the randomized items, mine types, resource pickups and more. What I want to do with my map is to create a somewhat symmetric map which gives the players prequisites that are likeworthy.

    The first thing I decided to do was to actually learn more about the game as it was at least six year ago I played the game. So I sat down with a veteran friend of mine, played a couple of games, read guides - just to get a better grasp on the different strategies thare exist in the game, their dependencies and how they relate to other counter-strategies.

    I compiled some of my findings in a document (currently work in progress) as a reference to keep in mind while designing the map, if anyone's interested here it is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gh…dit?usp=sharing

    Map Objective
    I want to explore by making this map is creating an objective for the players to reach within the level that is not only about conquering castles and flagging mines which is usually the case in HOMM3 maps. To achieve this the map will be focused around a quest called Dragon’s Prize which each player can get hold of in their starting areas. In short this quest is all about getting a password to unlock a portal to the Dragon’s Den, beat a series of challenging guards and finally reach the final room where there are tons of gold accompanied with Dragon Dwellings. The first player who get’s there will be able to recruit a massive army of dragons and eventually defeat her/his enemies.

    Mega Screenshot Overview (Early Layout)
    It should be mentioned that the initial design of the map does look boringly symmetric and I plan on creating it symmetric at first and then distort it with visual variation but keep the boundries the same - leaving the gameplay intact.
    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/6UYZnIC.jpg]


    Map Top-down Sketches: Surface and Sub-terranean

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/kzKqozF.jpg][Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/NvoFTAB.jpg]

  • Sjonsson
    • February 27, 2016 at 12:10 PM
    • #2

    Just realised I haven't posted my updates here.

    Still working on this but I've changed the layout a bit.

    Mega Screenshot Overview
    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/9hJVfzM.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/Cxaa29H.jpg]

  • Quotingmc
    • February 27, 2016 at 12:28 PM
    • #3

    I have no knowledge at all of the game, never even heard of it, but those look really cool!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™