1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Creative Chat

Textures and Questions

  • BlueCoatKarma
  • March 18, 2005 at 8:41 AM
  • BlueCoatKarma
    • March 18, 2005 at 8:41 AM
    • #1

    I've kinda thrown myself into a high-res-ifying project involving the textures from NS (ns.wad and ns2.wad mostly). I haven't really done any texturing before (I did some VERY simple re-texturing for Deus Ex as well, but it was items instead of environment textures.) It's still nice because I don't have to be very creative to remake something.

    The big obstacle here is that I can't do any 3D modeling, and I don't have a program to do so even if I could (which is a good part of why I can't.) Because of this, my normal maps are just Nvidia plug in affairs, and I haven't actually been successful in viewing these in Hammer (having problems with the .vtf/.vtm thing). For now just color layers, although I've done a normal map for the first of these.

    So I'm looking for input on these. I'm struggling to get used to the idea that there shouldn't be much (any) lighting/shading "baked in" with the colors.

    [Blocked Image: http://img179.exs.cx/img179/2417/teckwall01big9xc.th.jpg]

    (Here's the old one):

    [Blocked Image: http://img194.exs.cx/img194/6908/teckfloor01old9gq.th.jpg]

    Here's a vent. Having not really ever used normal maps before and not knowing much about them, this is the one that really needs help. Obviously some (all?) of the shading shouldn't be there.

    [Blocked Image: http://img186.exs.cx/img186/9372/teckfloor045zf.th.jpg]

    EDIT: I just realized that the first one needs some explanation. We kinda decided that it needed to be cleaned up for Source - it would have looked to repetitive with such distinct features (the big metal hinges etc.) That's why there's a complete lack of them. Keep in mind that in NS textures aren't tiled all that much because walls don't usually go very long before being broken by details or supports or models or something.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™