1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

My first map: questions and concerns

  • qoph
  • March 26, 2015 at 3:43 PM
  • qoph
    • March 26, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    • #1

    [Blocked Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1dm4z7uezpxovf/de.png?dl=1]


    Hello, im qoph. As you can see, I'm fairly new to hammer. I know about displacements and triggers and lighting and such, but I'm still not fluent with it. I thought about this layout while playing a match on Season, and have been trying to make it real for the past few days now.

    VMF


    The problem is, I cant open the map ingame; it crashes all the time. This might be a compile issue, but I've looked through the log and there doesn't seem to be any errors. I have tried opening it from hammer and by launching the game and typing "map de_cache2"(my temporary map name).


    Every time I do that it gives me the error:

    Code
    ======================================================
    Map de_cache2 missing stringtable dictionary, don't ship this way!!!
    Run with -stringtables on the command line or convar
    stringtable_alwaysrebuilddictionaries enabled to build the string table
    ======================================================

    before crashing. I have since learned that this is an issue between the client and the server, so to remedy it I put "+sv_lan 1" in the hammers parameters thing, but to no avail. Inputting those two commands(-stringtables and stringtable_alwaysrebuilddictionaries) nothing changes. halp?

  • Skybex
    • March 26, 2015 at 4:34 PM
    • #2

    It's because all your fence meshes are set to prop_vehicle that the game is crashing. Make them prop static.


    Also when I loaded your vmf, it had snap to grid turned off. this will cause endless headaches later on so you really should toggle it back on (map>snap to grid)

  • TheGuma
    • March 26, 2015 at 4:37 PM
    • #3

    Or just click Shift + W

  • spence
    • March 26, 2015 at 4:37 PM
    • #4

    You can also ignore the stringtables error. It happens on most maps maps (including official ones). Don't follow the 'run with -stringtables' instructions, because it causes other problems.

  • qoph
    • March 26, 2015 at 4:43 PM
    • #5
    Quote from Skybex

    It's because all your fence meshes are set to prop_vehicle that the game is crashing. Make them prop static.


    Also when I loaded your vmf, it had snap to grid turned off. this will cause endless headaches later on so you really should toggle it back on (map>snap to grid)


    Quote from TheGuma

    Or just click Shift + W


    Quote from spence

    You can also ignore the stringtables error. It happens on most maps maps (including official ones). Don't follow the 'run with -stringtables' instructions, because it causes other problems.


    Thank you all, I really appreciate it!!

  • tomm
    • March 26, 2015 at 4:57 PM
    • #6

    just a few tips:


    - please differentiate the floor and walls and even ceiling by using a different texture, there's plenty of reflectivity textures you can use.

    - standardize walls, 4 units is too thin, I'd recommend using no less than 16 for a regular wall.. unless it's a glass or wood piece.

    - instead of making a gigantic hollow skybox around your map use the cordon bounds, useful for maps in development.

  • qoph
    • March 26, 2015 at 5:52 PM
    • #7
    Quote from tomm

    just a few tips:


    - please differentiate the floor and walls and even ceiling by using a different texture, there's plenty of reflectivity textures you can use.

    - standardize walls, 4 units is too thin, I'd recommend using no less than 16 for a regular wall.. unless it's a glass or wood piece.

    - instead of making a gigantic hollow skybox around your map use the cordon bounds, useful for maps in development.

    Gotcha!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™