1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Creative Chat

photoshop v.s. painter

  • clankill3r
  • December 19, 2014 at 5:10 AM
  • clankill3r
    • December 19, 2014 at 5:10 AM
    • #1

    Last night I was thinking of starting drawing concept art. And i'm not shitting you, this morning my mouse broke

    Using my dusted wacom tablet now


    Anyway, I was wondering, if people worked with painter. And if they prefer painter or photoshop. And what is better for making textures?

    In the end I would like that I would be better in making textures as well.


    O yeah good tutorials are always welcome!

  • kikette
    • December 19, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    • #2

    Well... Painter is a very nice soft to make handpainted things since... it's a paint tool ! You'll have lot more of control on your brushs compared to photoshop but from what I experienced with Painter and photoshop, I don't remember that I was able to work with photos as easily as with photoshop.

    I cannot imagine myself using a backed Ambient occlusion from a mesh and creating a selection mask from with painter.

    Futhermore, if you are planing to work into a video games studio, everybody use Photoshop and since your teammates will certainly needs to use your work, it's certainly a better choice to stay on photoshop =)

    Keep Painter for your personal pleasure.

  • clankill3r
    • December 19, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    • #3

    thanks, photoshop it will be

  • Steppenwolf
    • December 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    • #4

    Yea definitely stay with photoshop if making textures is part of your goal. Ther's a lot of overlap what you can use from concept art to textures (your brush set/settings, masking techniques, color swatches etc.).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™