1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Windows 7 on Apple Bootcamp with Retina

  • Izuno
  • November 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM
  • Izuno
    • November 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    • #1

    After many years of devotion to Windows XP I finally upgraded to Windows 7 (64bit Professional). Since 2006, this is my 3rd macbook pro running Bootcamp. The last two MBPs lasted 4 years each. Anyway here are the basic specs on the new laptop:


    • 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
    • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    • 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    • Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory


    Question:

    The new MBP has retina and the native resolution is 2880x1800 which is nice but goddam the fonts are too small. So yes I fiddled with them but the real issue is that I use an external monitor that I extend my desktop to that has native resolution of 1920x1080. (basically it's 1080p)


    The external monitor looks fine, except everything is the tiniest bit blurry. I'm thinking the solution is a 4k monitor and I just increase the font size, along with simply getting a bigger monitor. Anyone have experience with Bootcamp running secondary monitor on a native retina MBP? Got a suggestion on monitors how best to do this?

  • DrywallDreams
    • November 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    • #2

    Upgrade to Win8.1 (or 10, when it's out), since that actually has proper hidpi support, though I can't speak to how well that works. Or do you mean cleartext or something?

  • Izuno
    • November 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    • #3

    Actually I think I am okay for now. I tweaked some settings in Win7 and the external monitor, while not retina, still looks pretty good. The fundamental problem is the monitor itself (a Samsung TV) just doesn't have enough resolution. I'm probably going to need to buy something pricey, possibly an Apple display but I've since been reading up on how a lot of people have been getting this to work.


    If I figure anything else out I'll bump this thread.

  • blackdog
    • November 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    • #4

    Yeah I don't understand why Windows 7, especially after Win 8.1: from what I've read has fixed most of the main usage issues. While waiting for 10 anyway.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™