1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Vault
  3. Archived Forums
  4. Portfolios

Help with portfolio

  • Bop@
  • May 10, 2014 at 2:19 AM
  • Bop@
    • May 10, 2014 at 2:19 AM
    • #1

    Hi I am currently in my last semester of school in video game and as a person who wants to be a level designer, I am not sure what do for my portfolio. Should I model a whole level and build it with gameplay or should I use premade meshes and do with it. What do you suggest ? What engine should I use? (I learned UDK and Unity).


    I went thought many level designer portfolio and most of their project were for a shooting game, is there a reason for that? What If I am more of an RPG person and not FPS?

  • Sentura
    • May 10, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    • #2

    There are tools out there for RPG design as well (Elder Scrolls/Fallout toolkit, shadowrun). However it might just complicate things for you if you are new to the field. Getting acquainted with tools and understanding what makes up one level - any kind of level - is much more important than individual preference in the beginning. If you want to become a level designer, meshes in general don't matter - what you want to show off is the gameplay. This also factors into your portfolio in the sense that videos of gameplay will always show more than screenshots.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™