1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Tile Array

  • Hatefacecore
  • November 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM
  • Hatefacecore
    • November 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM
    • #1

    I have a simple question that no one can seem to answer. I suppose this can go for any 3D modeling software. I'm designing the interior of a hospital using Blender 3d and am up to the part where I'm supposed to make the tiles for the floor. The easiest way would be to make a texture, put it on the floor and add the different maps to it right? (Normal map, specularity map, etc) The problem is that it doesn't seem to give me much control over each individual tile. Like if I want to remove a few of them at a certain location. Now, I found away around it by making an array of tiles which look great...but takes up a lot of space. I get to pick and choose which tiles I want to discard but it slows done my computer. One person said that I should use a texture and mess with the normals. How would I go about doing that or is there a better way of going about this without all those expensive vertices? Any body know how the pros do it?

  • Tschoppo
    • November 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    • #2

    -make a plane

    -texture it with your tile texture

    -cut out some rectangles

    -extrude those down and give them a different texture

    -tadaa!

  • Hatefacecore
    • November 24, 2013 at 3:01 AM
    • #3

    lol, gotcha. So the array is out. Cutting is the way to go. Thanks!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™