1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Vault
  3. Archived Forums
  4. Portfolios

John_Corn Level & Environment Portfolio

  • John_Corn
  • March 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • John_Corn
    • March 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    • #1

    Hey everyone, I just graduated in August and looking to start a career as an environment designer. Any criticism is helpful and greatly appreciated.

    http://www.behance.net/JohnCorn

  • Sjonsson
    • March 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    • #2

    The first thought I had was that the images are small and that the sizes of all text boxes and stuff are unnecessarily big. I'm guessing that Behance.com is some kind of a service for showing off your portfolio and resumé and that sure can be good, I just believe that you would be more attractive from a viewer's standpoint if you made a website with image slices following the standard patterns.

  • John_Corn
    • April 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    • #3

    Ok so I took your advice and made this:

    http://johncornart.com/

    I'm still working on it, and will be adding more over the course of the week. Any feedback on either the site or my work would be great!

    Thanks!

  • Sjonsson
    • April 19, 2013 at 3:25 AM
    • #4

    Looks better! I think it's important to show the viewer your work directly. However, it's not something bad to have a more blog like page as well I think. If you missed it out, checkout out this thread: might have seen it but I just linked it anyway. There's a lot of good info in there.

  • kikette
    • April 19, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    • #5

    Hey John !

    Since you want to work on Video games, I really suggest you to try to import one of your scene into a Real time engine. You'll be able to create better lighting, shaders, etc to show your props on their brightest side =) Actually, what you show looks a bit flat I guess.

  • John_Corn
    • April 21, 2013 at 5:47 AM
    • #6

    Thanks for the advice, I totally see what both of you mean. Ill try to work on it some more this week.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™