1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Level Design

Tutorial time #2: Modular Rocks

  • PhilipK
  • July 12, 2010 at 2:07 PM
  • PhilipK
    • July 12, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    • #1

    Hi again.

    I just finished up my second tutorial on the modular subject: Modular rocks (and other more organic stuff).

    This is a bit more step by step but I tried to keep it as general as possible so you should be able to apply it on more things.

    Anyway, hope it may be useful!

    http://philipk.net/tutorials/modular_ro ... rocks.html

  • -HP-
    • July 12, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    • #2

    Oh man! I love you for this!

    It is very step by step, which is what people like the most so you can study other peoples workflow.

    Thank you!

  • Psy
    • July 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    • #3

    Great tutorial!

  • mjens
    • July 12, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    • #4

    Nice!

  • Minos
    • July 12, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    • #5

    Thanks a lot man, I love the rocks in BC =)

    Quick tip: It may also be a good idea to bake radiosity to vertex colors. It's quite easy to do that in 3ds max:

    - add a skylight

    - go to Rendering > Advanced Lighting > Radiosity (it's a good idea to assign an exposure control to fine tune the results later)

    - hit "Start"

    - go to Tools - Assign Vertex Colors and Assign

    a simple teapot with radiosity baked to vertex colors only:

    [attachment=0]radiosity.jpg[/attachment]

    You can mix that with handpainted vertex colors and the results will be fantastic!

    Keep it up phill!!

  • PhilipK
    • July 12, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    • #6

    Thanks guys!

    Yeah it's a nice addition Mino. I think I mentioned it in the tutorial, tho I didn't really show howto do that in Max.

    But yeah it can be really nice as you said to get a base up with that and then handpaint/fix up the rest by hand.

  • Nysuatro
    • July 12, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    • #7

    You tutorials are always impressive. I am curious about what is coming next.

  • Jenn0_Bing
    • July 12, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    • #8

    Awesome stuff, I predict a number of rock models in my near future .

  • Bunglo
    • July 12, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    • #9

    YES!, YES!, YEEEEES!!!!!

  • Pomperi
    • July 12, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    • #10

    Cool, thanks a lot for sharing

  • jaboo224
    • July 13, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    • #11
    Quote from Pomperi

    Cool, thanks a lot for sharing

  • coulianos
    • July 14, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    • #12
    Quote from Pomperi

    Cool, thanks a lot for sharing

  • Seldoon182
    • July 15, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    • #13

    Awesome as hell Philip but I miss some extra such as a wireframe view between the mesh in max and the one in UE3 and the flat geometry in UE3...

  • PhilipK
    • July 16, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    • #14

    Thanks!

    Quote from Seldoon182

    Awesome as hell Philip but I miss some extra such as a wireframe view between the mesh in max and the one in UE3 and the flat geometry in UE3...

    Ah yeah, good points. I'll see if I can update that soon, thanks.

  • Seldoon182
    • July 16, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    • #15

    Oh no thanks you You mate!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™