1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Vault
  3. Archived Forums
  4. Portfolios

Tuan Tran - Environment Artist

  • johndo
  • May 13, 2010 at 4:56 AM
  • johndo
    • May 13, 2010 at 4:56 AM
    • #1

    Hi. I'm working on my portfolio right now, and I would really appreciate some help.

    I'm working on improvements to the site and pieces.

    Any feedback and criticism is greatly appreciated. Here's the link:

    http://drtuantran.blogspot.com/

    Thank you

    -Tran

  • sarge mat
    • May 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    • #2

    I would say get your own url like youname.com .

  • Corwin
    • May 15, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    • #3

    I would also suggest that you get your own host because it seems photobucket & blogspot can be quite slow sometimes. For instance, the header screenshot (behind your name) failed to load.

    Layout wise, here are the things that bother me:

    - The thumbnails shots right under the large pictures: it sorts of unbalances the look of the portfolio and makes it longer to scroll down, while you've got room to place them on the side. I dunno how much control blogspot gives you, but I'd do something like this:

    [Blocked Image: http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/8542/81555949.jpg]

    - I prefer when the links to pictures open in new pages/tab (add target="_blank" within the link code () if you have that possibility) instead of onto the page.

    - I don't think you really need 3 pages About, Contact & Resume. For once, your contact info is on your resume, and the About page is short and sort of useless. You could probably merge them into one by having the About text above your resume and getting rid of the contact page. I also think your resume layout is a bit confusing, too spaced/spread out and the main headers aren't distinguishable from the sub headers. That's my own opinion of course, you should of course present your resume as you see fit.

    However, it's not your web design skills that are going to be judged, so I think it's a fine portfolio. Content-wise, I think you should put the character models above the drawings. I mean, generally you should put these categories in the order you want to promote them. If you're looking for an environment artist job, I'd say put the environments category first, then assets and characters, then drawings as it's a great skill to have but secondary to the job at hand, while your modeling skills are going to be judged.

    The Abandoned Wheel piece is good but could use some more trash on the ground in front of it.

    The ChongQing Alley is great but two things strike me as odd: the black panels' texture on the wall above the stairs is a bit weird, I can't figure out what material it's supposed to be, and the vegetation in the corner is a tad bright compared to the light that hits the wall.

    Good work overall!

  • johndo
    • May 16, 2010 at 1:10 AM
    • #4

    Yeah, I'm planning to make my own website for a better url and better control of the website. I'm amazed at the screenshot, I've been testing the website and have never seen my layout look like that. Though like what you said, I need to host my own images and that could cause that problem. I'll fix the problem of the ChongQing Alley, I've noticed those little problems.

    Thanks Sarge Mat and Corwin!

  • ChopperDave
    • May 16, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    • #5

    Also, it may be good for quick reference to mention what tools you used to produce what art in your portofolio (like where you have those captions next to some of the images), this way people scanning your work can get an idea of what tools you know without having to look at your resume. I'm no artist so I could be way off.

  • arje06
    • May 18, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    • #6
    Quote from johndo

    Yeah, I'm planning to make my own website for a better url and better control of the website. I'm amazed at the screenshot, I've been testing the website and have never seen my layout look like that. Though like what you said, I need to host my own images and that could cause that problem. I'll fix the problem of the ChongQing Alley, I've noticed those little problems.Thanks Sarge Mat and Corwin!

    You should have to make your own website dude. That would really make you do a better url and better control of a web. In doing this, I believe you will have a great future in your artworks.

  • johndo
    • May 21, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    • #7

    -ChopperDave I'll add that information somewhere. I'm trying to keep down all the noise. My format will be modified a bit to accommodate that.

    -arje06 I'll work on implementing that soon. This site is a temporary to a permanent one.

    Thank you guys for all the suggestions!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™