1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Vault
  3. Archived Forums
  4. Non-Professional Recruitment

Game Writer and Voice Actor Manager looking for work!

  • SolSara
  • August 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM
  • SolSara
    • August 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    • #1

    Hello,

    My name is Sara Wendel-Örtqvist. I have worked as a Game Writer and Voice Actor Manager for http://%7boption%7d, a first person shooter mod powered by the Source engine. I am now looking for a new project where I can work as either a Game Writer or Voice Actor Manager. As Game Writer for Decadence, I created personalities and background stories for our four characters, wrote short descriptions of the world of Decadence for the Level Designers to use as they pleased and wrote dialogue lines for the characters. As a Voice Actor Manager, I found and coached three voice actors, edited their lines and made sure that they gave everything they got to make the characters sound believable. More information about me and my previous projects can be found at my website: http://%7boption%7d.

    What can I do for your project?

    As a Game Writer, I can:

    • Write a story manuscript for the game and detailed walkthroughs for the individual levels (in cooperation with Game Designers)

    • Create personalities and background stories for characters in order to make them believable from the player’s point of view and also useful for the artists when creating their visual appearances

    • Write background stories for the game world and/or for the events that will take place in the game

    As a Voice Actor Manager, I can:

    • Find voice actors for the game

    • Coach voice actors to ensure that the voice lines are on target and of high quality

    • Edit the sound samples

    If you want to contact me, my email address is: sarawendel(at)hotmail.com.

  • Seldoon182
    • September 6, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    • #2

    Hey Sara,

    I really like those kind of preproduction work. Very helpful in the development process.

    I took some time to read the manuscript of The female Assassin which made me think about Assassin's Creed. I liked the way you developed the Elodie's identity, her past and such. But as a French and as kind of passionate of history (especially World wars) I would say that you didn't dig enough with you research.

    First, I've seen some orthography mistakes with the French by example: "Qu'es-ce que tu faire? What are you doing?" -> Qu'es-ce que tu fait?

    Then, about the swear word like "Merde" and such, I think the people who lived that time were used to say swear word like:

    - "Diantre ! Fi donc ! Foutre ! Morbleu ! Mordious ! Mortecouille ! Par la malepeste ! Que le grand cric me croque ! Ventre saint-gris !"

    "Merde" et "Putain" went too way later though!

    At last, when I was reading I though Elodie compared to her Father/Mother must have a better language to show her respect. More over there is more words to describe in French than in English I think you should make a choice between write the dialogs in French or in English. The way to go would be to read some book from Diderot, Baumarchais, Marivaux, Montesquieu, Voltaire to really get the right style.

    Other than that really good work. Thumb up!

  • SolSara
    • September 6, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    • #3
    Quote from Seldoon182

    Hey Sara,I really like those kind of preproduction work. Very helpful in the development process.

    I took some time to read the manuscript of The female Assassin which made me think about Assassin's Creed. I liked the way you developed the Elodie's identity, her past and such. But as a French and as kind of passionate of history (especially World wars) I would say that you didn't dig enough with you research.

    First, I've seen some orthography mistakes with the French by example: "Qu'es-ce que tu faire? What are you doing?" -> Qu'es-ce que tu fait?

    Then, about the swear word like "Merde" and such, I think the people who lived that time were used to say swear word like:

    - "Diantre ! Fi donc ! Foutre ! Morbleu ! Mordious ! Mortecouille ! Par la malepeste ! Que le grand cric me croque ! Ventre saint-gris !"

    "Merde" et "Putain" went too way later though!

    At last, when I was reading I though Elodie compared to her Father/Mother must have a better language to show her respect. More over there is more words to describe in French than in English I think you should make a choice between write the dialogs in French or in English. The way to go would be to read some book from Diderot, Baumarchais, Marivaux, Montesquieu, Voltaire to really get the right style.

    Other than that really good work. Thumb up!

    Display More

    Thank you for your comments! I had a challenging time trying to find swearwords in French. I have now changed "Merde" to "Diantre" and Qu'es-ce que tu faire? What are you doing?" to Qu'es-ce que tu fait? in the manuscript. What does "Fi donc ! Foutre ! Morbleu ! Mordious ! Mortecouille ! Par la malepeste ! Que le grand cric me croque ! Ventre saint-gris !" mean? And when would they be proper to use? I have only taken a couple of classes in French, in high school and I was thirteen to fifteen then. So I can't write the dialog in French but wanted to give it a "French feel" by using French swearwords and some sentences I still remembered.

    I'll see if I can find some book by Diderot, Baumarchais, Marivaux, Montesquieu or Voltaire at my library, I didn't even consider reading something by them when I wrote The Female Assassin, mostly because I focused so much on finding the right historical events for the manuscript.

    Hopefully I will have more time for research for my next project

  • Seldoon182
    • September 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    • #4
    Quote from SolSara

    Thank you for your comments!

    You are welcome! :wink:

    Quote from SolSara

    What does "Fi donc ! Foutre ! Morbleu ! Mordious ! Mortecouille ! Par la malepeste ! Que le grand cric me croque ! Ventre saint-gris !" mean? And when would they be proper to use?

    Those are swear word no longer used nowadays. You could keep "Merde" (from around 1179) in the manuscript but imo Elodie would say something like I quoted before.

    Quote from SolSara

    Hopefully I will have more time for research for my next project

    Good luck! I liked reading your script and also like your voice acting!

  • Corwin
    • September 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    • #5
    Quote from SolSara

    What does "Fi donc ! Foutre ! Morbleu ! Mordious ! Mortecouille ! Par la malepeste ! Que le grand cric me croque ! Ventre saint-gris !" mean? And when would they be proper to use?

    Hey, I'm not fascinated by history, but can help with the meaning of these:

    Fi donc! : expresses disgust or contempt.

    Foutre! : literaly it translates into Cum! It can be used as Merde (=Shit).

    Morbleu/Mordious : They refer to the death of God, but using bleu (blue) or dious (deus) instead to avoid blasphemy. Like saying "Oh my gosh" I guess, but with a meaning close to Merde.

    Mortecouille : Well, literally it's like saying "Dead ball", as in testicles

    Par la malepeste : Refers to the plague, it's like "By the name of the great plague" or something.

    Que le grand cric me croque : Very similar to saying "I'll be damned!", it's literally "Shall I be eaten by the big eater" as in death.

    Ventre saint-gris : another familiar swearword, which etimology I don't know.

    I would also have thought about "Sacrebleu", that english-speakers seem to have heard about more. But I don't know if it's too old or too recent to be used in that context.

    Anyway, no wanting to distract from the topic, I just had 5 minutes to kill so I figured I'd explain away old french insults

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™