1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Anonymous essay from a spouse of an EA employee

  • KungFuSquirrel
  • November 10, 2004 at 6:22 PM
  • KungFuSquirrel
    • November 10, 2004 at 6:22 PM
    • #1

    http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.p ... adid=13068

    Very interesting read. Thankfully that's not really an issue here. Double thankfully, I'd already been offered my spot here when one of the EA guys called me back in May or whenever.

  • Skjalg
    • November 10, 2004 at 6:44 PM
    • #2

    very nice read, indeed

  • FrieChamp
    • November 10, 2004 at 6:46 PM
    • #3

    I wouldn't like to work in an EA in-house development studio (especially not after reading the essay), EA can be hard to get along with when you cooperate with them for a publishing deal.

  • RD
    • November 10, 2004 at 6:49 PM
    • #4

    So if i get it right, if someone sues EA now then EA gotta pay a few billion dollar overtime and go bankrupt?

  • Tequila
    • November 10, 2004 at 7:01 PM
    • #5

    EA advocates child-rape.

  • tnoh
    • November 10, 2004 at 7:02 PM
    • #6

    EA = evil. And they make too much crappy games about movies.

  • kleinluka
    • November 10, 2004 at 7:08 PM
    • #7
    Quote from FrieChamp

    I wouldn't like to work in an EA in-house development studio (especially not after reading the essay), EA can be hard to get along with when you cooperate with them for a publishing deal.

    HAR.

    see, you shoulda sticked with ubi!

  • KungFuSquirrel
    • November 10, 2004 at 7:53 PM
    • #8

    Shoulda gone with Activision. heh

  • FrieChamp
    • November 10, 2004 at 8:12 PM
    • #9

    I won't further comment anything related to EA (I'm simply not in the position to do that and still a n00b in this industry), but I think there are differences in habits between EA USA and EA England. Also, even if EA puts more pressure on the developers, everybody wants to work with EA. They got lots of money and they got lots of connections studios can profit from. I heard each game EA has published has sold at least 1 million times, I don't know if that's the official word though.

    Quote

    HAR. see, you shoulda sticked with ubi!

    Not after FarCry...

  • kleinluka
    • November 10, 2004 at 8:27 PM
    • #10

    I'd work at EA only if that meant i could beat the shit out of the voice actor for Burnout 3. God that guy is so annoying.

  • GrayFox
    • November 10, 2004 at 8:35 PM
    • #11

    so true

  • Mazy
    • November 10, 2004 at 8:41 PM
    • #12

    IO worked with EA on Freedom Fighters, and the general meaning towards EA isnt very positive to say that least. Especially since they didnt do shit to advertise Freedom Fighters.

    Anyway, havent read that stuff (will do it when I get to work tomorrow), but I assume its about how horrible EA r, which isnt news to me

  • Izuno
    • November 10, 2004 at 8:45 PM
    • #13

    I've worked with, or currently work with, three of our major internal studios that we own: Volition, Rainbow and Relic. They all work hard and put in overtime during a crunch period, but I've never heard anything like that story about 85 hour weeks at EA over and over and over through the life of a project with no comp time. That's kinda scary that it's like that.

  • KungFuSquirrel
    • November 11, 2004 at 1:12 AM
    • #14

    Apparently it's not even a matter of getting the content done - I spoke to someone who was working on the team specifically referred to in the article (and apparently another team had it worse - the 12-13 hour/7 days a week conditions for perhaps a year or more), and he said that not only was it required to work those hours, but content was getting done and people were sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for more content and were still forced to remain there for 'moral support.' Ouch.

    Edit: Even more ouch is that sentence structure... I won't even bother

  • Tequila
    • November 11, 2004 at 1:23 AM
    • #15
    Quote from KungFuSquirrel

    Apparently it's not even a matter of getting the content done - I spoke to someone who was working on the team specifically referred to in the article (and apparently another team had it worse - the 12-13 hour/7 days a week conditions for perhaps a year or more), and he said that not only was it required to work those hours, but content was getting done and people were sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for more content and were still forced to remain there for 'moral support.' Ouch.Edit: Even more ouch is that sentence structure... I won't even bother

    It sounds like EA is run by fucking Stalin.

  • zaphod
    • November 11, 2004 at 4:22 AM
    • #16

    I know a large group of people that all came from EA, and based on all of thier testimony I will never ever consider working for, or with EA. Here is some of the highlights of the stories I have heard from vetran EA employees:

    - 8 month crunch (7 days a week) during which x-mas was cancelled, and anyone who took any x-mas vacation was fired.

    - a policy of no talking during work hours becuase some employees were trying to start a union. (stay at your desk all day and don't get up and talk to people)

  • kleinluka
    • November 11, 2004 at 4:38 AM
    • #17

    I heard a nasty story where people were told that some positions were available on other in-house projects and they were asked if they'd like to join these teams. The next day, everybody who said yes the day before got fired.

    So it was sort of used as a secret test for loyality among employees, and everybody that didn't give a loyal answer was handed a few bags of fresh unemployment breeze.

    Can't verify this myself as I've never worked there, but I heard it from a industry veteran who left EA and was one of the more or less higher ups there..

  • FrieChamp
    • November 11, 2004 at 7:35 AM
    • #18

    Holy shit...

  • JynxDaddy
    • November 11, 2004 at 8:04 AM
    • #19

    EA also make crap games.

  • Fletch
    • November 11, 2004 at 1:53 PM
    • #20

    Surely you don't consider The Sims: Makin' Magic a crappy game...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™