1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Error Message Hell

  • wacko
  • December 5, 2008 at 6:04 AM
  • wacko
    • December 5, 2008 at 6:04 AM
    • #1

    Which of the following user exp would you like to see if you failed to join a chat channel 0

    1. get a failed msg when trying to join the channel and they get a spamming msg that the client is going to keep trying to join? (0) 0%
    2. get a failed msg and not see any msg after that. (0) 0%

    So I have a questions and would like people to vote in this poll. If your the player of a game on an online gaming network... lets say Steam... and you tried to join a Chat Channel and the server hosting the channel was not online which of the following would you want to see the user experience be.

  • Cybbe
    • December 5, 2008 at 6:55 AM
    • #2

    Well, for me, that depends on whether or not the client will actually keep trying to connect or not. If it does, I'd really prefer to be informed, since it'd save me the work of spamming reconnect if I know the server is in fact up or is going to be soon. On the other hand, (as is annoying me a lot with mIRC), I don't like to see the repeated message saying I still can't connect, especially if it steals focus everytime it pops up, so it should probably be kept short as a "Retrying..." message or so instead of a full error message for every repeated attempt. This is especially if you lose connection or know you'll be able to connect very soon, you want to know that it's still trying, but you don't want to get the error message for each attempt, when you know what's wrong.

    (EDIT: I didn't vote, as I opted for somewhat of a third option)

  • Sentura
    • December 5, 2008 at 8:53 AM
    • #3

    print the exception then allow me to debug owait

    joking aside, an exception message with 4 retries is something i consider standard

  • Spellbinder
    • December 5, 2008 at 2:06 PM
    • #4

    I voted send message, i have the same stand as Sentura and Cybbe. I would like to know, but then again to many times it gets annoying. I think the best for me would actually to see it try to connect, when i know that it is trying i want the option to turn this off.

  • wacko
    • December 5, 2008 at 3:10 PM
    • #5

    hmm

  • Gorion
    • December 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM
    • #6

    I would make it so, that it will never fail, and if it does, it will crash and brick your computer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM

Users Viewing This Thread

  • 1 Guest
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™