1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Off-Topic

Flagship is going bust!?

  • FrieChamp
  • July 13, 2008 at 9:57 AM
  • FrieChamp
    • July 13, 2008 at 9:57 AM
    • #1

    http://kotaku.com/5024558/flagship-sunk ... f-hellgate

    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53581

    Too early on a Sunday morning to write an extensive post, just wanted to say:

  • dux
    • July 13, 2008 at 10:02 AM
    • #2

    Kind of what happens when your first new title is a major disappointment

  • -HP-
    • July 13, 2008 at 1:00 PM
    • #3

    Ouch...

  • Mazy
    • July 14, 2008 at 7:31 AM
    • #4

    Too sad really, but I guess they had it coming.

  • JohnC
    • July 14, 2008 at 7:39 AM
    • #5

    Apparently the Schaeffer brothers (likely the namesake of Schaeffer's Hammer in diablo 2) gave their employees 30 days pay out of their own pockets. Standup guys, it seems.

  • JamesL
    • July 14, 2008 at 9:26 AM
    • #6

    Shame, despite its major flaws (there were many) I quite enjoyed playing it and got at least 30-40 hours worth out of it.

    Another case of a project's ambition outstripping its development timescale and funding I think.

  • Zacker
    • July 14, 2008 at 11:54 AM
    • #7

    Woah, there is quite a bunch of rumors and conflicting statements flying around here. I think it's quite sad to see as I have heard that Hellgate: London had lots of good ideas and elements. I was going to try it myself at some point, but I guess that's not possible anymore if they are closing down the servers?

  • JamesL
    • July 14, 2008 at 1:59 PM
    • #8

    I don't see how they can drop the servers. The game is still out there on the shelves and people are still playing it, so shutting the servers is not really likely to be an option for the immediate future. It's all going to become a bit lawless in there for a while now I expect.

    A friend of mine who still plays it said the servers appear to have been swamped with botters trying to sell gold/items. I guess no one is administrating the game right now ...

  • JohnC
    • July 14, 2008 at 11:09 PM
    • #9
    Quote from JamesL

    A friend of mine who still plays it said the servers appear to have been swamped with botters trying to sell gold/items. I guess no one is administrating the game right now ...

    Oh cool, so it's even more like Diablo 2!

    On that note, rumor has it Flagship was well aware of Diablo 3 and their only hope was to get Hellgate out ahead of it.

    I equate this with all of the greats who left Saturday Night Live to make redundant comedies. It's great that you want to do something new and make it big on your own, and I admire the initiative, but man oh man. It's not as good as your old stuff.

  • Erratic
    • July 15, 2008 at 1:27 AM
    • #10

    Mythos was becoming really well regarded overall as well. I'm think that loss is going to hit harder than Hellgate.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™