1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Creative Chat

VTFedit (Making TGA into material?)

  • sk3tch
  • April 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM
  • sk3tch
    • April 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM
    • #1

    VTFedit help:

    I have been using VTEX in the bin directory to make materials for the longest time due mainly to the fact I could never get VTFedit to work properly. When I open a TGA file in VTFedit, it makes the alpha 8 bit...but I notice I need 1 for translucent. It won't let me change it at all.

    Is there something I'm missing? I thought you could just open a TGA and convert it to a VMT without problems. I also tried re-installing VTFedit but it eliminated Nice Filtered option right above the clamp-U option (see image below...changed it to unused).

    So..in a nutshell...HOW DO I USE VTFEDIT to ENTIRELY make a translucent material? And why did I lose options when I re-installed VTFedit? Is there a tutorial anywhere to do this properly?

    [Blocked Image: http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6442/wtffio0.jpg]

  • Wunderboy
    • April 12, 2008 at 7:05 PM
    • #2

    You dont. You define it as translucent in the VMT files with $translucent "1". The VTF is just the bitmap data for the texture, the VMT set-ups the shader and how it's meant to be rendered.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™