1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
This Thread
  • Everywhere
  • This Thread
  • This Forum
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Discussions
  3. Creative Chat

Imitation assignment

  • JeanPaul
  • April 11, 2008 at 5:58 AM
  • JeanPaul
    • April 11, 2008 at 5:58 AM
    • #1

    I was supposed to imitate a famous photographer in my work (yousef Karsh was my dude) I emphasized his excellent detail in skin features and strong contrast.

    And here it is:

    [Blocked Image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2287/2404366600_62aab07648_o.jpg]

    The rest

    http://flickr.com/photos/jeanpaultron/s ... 472112284/

  • JeanPaul
    • April 12, 2008 at 8:27 PM
    • #2

    Why do I rarely get responses?

  • e-freak
    • April 12, 2008 at 8:32 PM
    • #3

    the picture is nice but why link to flickr? I'd love to see these here in the thread to give you a direct answer.

    Furthermore it might be abit hard to catch up with Yousef Karsh, but you did a nice job though!

    On the stilistic of the lighting: Karsh used subtile lightings and had no hardedged shadows or highlights on his persons but always a whole "lighting-scene", while in the here shown picture you clearly see two spots or whatever this is.

  • JeanPaul
    • April 13, 2008 at 8:28 PM
    • #4

    Yeah I got those crits from other people, and I definitely agree. The one thing I went for in the imitation was the large amount of skin detail he has in his shots.

  • e-freak
    • April 13, 2008 at 9:50 PM
    • #5

    yes you really nailed that. The skin detail is superb. I guess you used a classic setup of two spots direct and global with low angle?

  • JeanPaul
    • April 13, 2008 at 9:51 PM
    • #6

    Actually no, this is the worst part. That was taken in my dorm

  • e-freak
    • April 13, 2008 at 10:06 PM
    • #7

    Then you deserve a medal I always find it the hardest part to get good structure in photos if I don't setup my spots.

  • JeanPaul
    • April 14, 2008 at 12:37 AM
    • #8

    Yeah, I just got lucky with this lighting, and I also did a bit of RAW editing

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Register Yourself Login
Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™