1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Rodolink

Posts by Rodolink

  • Big open area level design tips

    • Rodolink
    • May 29, 2018 at 7:54 PM

    Thanks, I like v3 I think I can use it not for the POI themselves, since I require them to be around the player, but to place interesting things in between them

  • Big open area level design tips

    • Rodolink
    • May 29, 2018 at 9:37 AM

    Thanks, great feedback, actually I started reading Melendez article yesterday. I like that idea of placing "breadcrumbs" here and there in between the points of interest.

    So here's my layout, the big circles show the areas where the player has to go, or eventually discover, by following the POIs , one is a hill with a temple on top, then is a "weird" rock structure that leads to a beach, and the third is a forest area, the player starts at the center in what is intended to be the "desert". Right now it looks flat, but maybe adding some big dunes or hills to occlude the view towards the rock structure, could work (I'm gonna try that).

    The terrain doesn't have to be flat, I just thought that being flat could help accentuate the POIs. And yes ideally the player will go back to that area at least 3 times, each time she goes to the big circles.

  • Big open area level design tips

    • Rodolink
    • May 28, 2018 at 3:13 PM

    Hi, I'm currently making a level design of an open area that leads to three separate paths imagine the corners of a triangle and the player starts at the center, so the idea is the center to be a kind of desert like space, I added three main interest points leading to those 3 paths, and there will be a sign pointing towards them as well. But still the area feels a little boring while walking since there isn't much variation, (like a flat land desert surrounded by mountains).

    Sorry for the lengthy intro, is there any suggestions on how to make it interesting? the interactive experience, doesnt have a combat system, just walking, so I'm looking for any suggestions on how to make open areas more interesting, without cluttering the view and without taking away the feeling of openess.

    Also the player's movement is very slow like in Everybody's gone to the Rapture, and it has a sprint action as well. But speeding up player's movement is my last resort though.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™