1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Basalt

Posts by Basalt

  • Mapcore Introductions Thread

    • Basalt
    • August 19, 2015 at 8:21 AM

    Hello all,

    My name is Julian offline and Basalt online, currently 23 years old, and this is my first post on the forum.

    I've been involved with mapping for quite some time. When I was about 13 years old, I've learned myself to map for the original Unreal Tournament, discovering I love to make content for games just as much as playing them. I wished to study gamedesign at the HKU in Hilversum, but practical reasons prevented me from taking that path at the time. As a compromise, I made efforts to study graphic design at the much closer KABK in Den Haag. I've learned and matured a lot there, but didn't manage to finish the study. I ended up with no degree, but I had just enough critical mass to climb up and get a job as a DTP artist the hard way. This allowed me to move out and live with my girfriend (who is finishing a study).

    With the new Unreal Tournament entering open Alpha last year, my fingers started to itch again. I'm still contemplating to give the HKU another shot someday, but as my girlfriend is still working on her study and I have a steady job for the moment, I try to develop myself by spending my free time learning mapping, programming and general gamedesign instead. Off course, my age and past experiences allow me to work on this in a much more serious and diciplined level.

    This looks like a great community to discuss mapping (and also get some insight on working in the game industry), and I can't wait to get to know you people.

    See you around.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™