1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. DooM

Posts by DooM

  • [WIP] de_abyss

    • DooM
    • July 3, 2015 at 8:13 PM
    Quote from laminutederire

    I don't know if it is only me but I dropped to 20fps very often, so either it isn't optimized, or my computer isn't in good shape these time, or a lille bit of both.

    Graphically it is as nice as expected so that's great.

    (Layout wise I don't have much to say, Fps drops and bots camping at both spawns (i suppose it is due to performances ) weren't great to test it, I'll try it later though)

    I get some fps drops too, mainly from around 150/160 to around 80 in places, the skybox seems to encompass the entire map, something I forgot to mention in my feedback, this needs to sorted out asap.

  • [WIP] de_abyss

    • DooM
    • July 1, 2015 at 9:56 PM
    Quote from Symix

    *Text stuff*

    Looks good! New rotate options for the bottom of mid look good too, I'm sure I'll be back when a new version is posted.

  • [WIP] Cs_Rime - Hostage Map (Official Renamed)

    • DooM
    • July 1, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    Quote from ScottehBoeh

    "I never liked the hostage game mode and I don't think this map will work with it"

    I gave you feedback that said the fog didn't contribute to meaningful game-play? Fog generally makes engagements random. Look at cs;go's initial release, where most of the maps had fog, but were since updated without fog. I think if valve deem it necessary to remove the fog, I'd have a good think about whether or not it should feature in your level.

  • [WIP] de_abyss

    • DooM
    • July 1, 2015 at 11:58 AM

    Some thoughts:

    Quote

    This whole mid upper/secondary attacking route to B is a little complex, I think you could achieve some more interesting game-play if the upper area was removed. Instead the entrance could be at the same level as the secondary route. The ladder to the secondary route could be removed meaning that Ts have to gain control of mid rather than just dropping down the ladder and attacking B easily.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/xLdqv92.jpg]

    Following on from above, this area could also be removed. The between site rotate times are massive (around 20 secs, 15 is good, but It can be shorter depending on how you want the map to play.) Removing this area would compact the map, allowing for some faster rotate times, and game-play would not really be affected as CTs could play aggressively in the connector rather than on the upper area. Also this from mid makes the connector to B pretty redundant, because you can just flank B through the main CT entrance rather than using the connector

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/iqtQCqC.jpg]

    You can run on the little lattice thing, It allows you to get to the little raised section outside B, I think you could just add some boxes to allow Ts to get up their, something like the outside of A on mirage, allowing Ts to defend B main from aggressive CTs

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/XOzheyy.jpg]

    I think B might have too much cover, you could remove the AC unit thing on the right and move the one on the left over to where the removed unit was located.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/CGsTv8u.jpg]

    The A bombsite seems strange for CTs because if they want to play in the bombsite, they are trapped. This doesn't facilitate easy rotates, you either stay on the upper level and give Ts the A bombsite or you drop down and gamble on a risky rotate through A main into mid, where you could be killed by a lurking T. I think you should be able to rotate more easily off A, like Cache for example.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/h4YJMea.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/0mwVItU.jpg]

    There's this nasty angle from CT spawn to the outside of B which could be abused if Ts push the Ct side of B

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/7PcR2Fc.png]

    Visually T spawn is quite difficult to negotiate, I don't really gravitate towards a certain entrance as they seem to blend into the building's exterior.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/FsWThkK.jpg]

    The new Season's T spawn is a great example of colour and lighting used to guide the player to entrances and attacking routes, maybe check this out for some ideas.

    3kilksphillip has a great video analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Wh2w33ALE

    This article is really good at explaining lighting: http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/wol…nar-jenssen.php

    Display More
  • [WIP] Cs_Rime - Hostage Map (Official Renamed)

    • DooM
    • June 27, 2015 at 11:57 PM
    Quote from ScottehBoeh

    It is annoying to have fog, but imagine the next-gen tactics used? Ones never before seen.

    The next gen tactic of hiding and killing your opponent. Not because you can out-aim, out-position or out-play them, I feel fog is the opposite of skill and often induces randomness. The setting also seems to make no sense, Middle Eastern esque buildings with Arabic text and the map is named after a place in Iraq but set in a woodland, with pine trees. I feel the theme needs work as-well as the game-play aspects like visibility.

  • [WIP] de_abyss

    • DooM
    • June 26, 2015 at 6:58 PM
    Quote from Symix

    Mostly been working on the layout lately. Here's the current one.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/NVk3IxA.png]

    That looks pretty complex, It might be just the format of the overview/image however. I'd have to have a run around in game to fully check the complexity.

  • Source 2!

    • DooM
    • June 18, 2015 at 11:37 PM
    Quote from FeverReaver

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl35QCbMi-c

    This was the exact video I was think of when I commented.

  • Source 2!

    • DooM
    • June 18, 2015 at 1:52 PM
    Quote from jackophant

    ....utilise all the hardware you can throw at it.....

    Will it work with a steering wheel?

  • [CS:GO]de_nerone

    • DooM
    • June 16, 2015 at 9:49 PM
    Quote from text_fish

    I think Doom summed up the general player-mood pretty well when when he shouted in to the mic "WHY ARE YOU FULL FLANKING ME ALREADY?" so loud that my connection went down.

    My salt has the power to pierce the internet? wow.

  • [WIP] de_orion

    • DooM
    • June 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM

    Some thoughts from the play-test yesterday.

    Quote

    Overall the level felt cluttered with props. You could use the ivy more sparingly leaving it for certain buildings outside the engagement areas, for example:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/REiWgoO.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/IBHuzY2.jpg]

    There were some visibility issues with mid concerning the dark grey textures:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/evuYJnc.jpg]

    Mid also didn't really seem to play tactically (the play-test was 10v10 so take this with a grain of salt) CTs have this massive height advantage over Ts coupled with the many angles they can hold from makes mid really difficult to play as T. You could simplify mid to allow for better tactical play.

    This angle in the mid to B connector seems OP, I didn't really have a chance to try this connector out due to the issues outlined above.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/3H0WVvC.jpg]

    This is a visibility issue on B:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/eEMa2Xl.jpg]

    It's nothing much up close but move right the way back to B main.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/1jcpKyZ.jpg]

    Once inside B, it seems very un-smokeable with wide entrances and lots of windows, this means that holding this site could be an issue. The play-test didn't really show this but I think that's attributed to jackophant killing everyone.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/Y1MJdOM.jpg]

    Display More
  • [WIP] de_pavilion (withdrawn from contest)

    • DooM
    • June 12, 2015 at 4:40 PM

    Just some thoughts on the current version, feel free to correct me on what you have changed in your new version.

    Quote

    This sight-line from the outside of A through CT spawn to the outside of B is very long, you could reduce the width of the paths to counter this angle or stagger the spawn more.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/alVRPit.png]

    I feel mid has way to much height variation, a good starting point is a little above player height, allowing for a player to be hidden from certain angles. A height change of this magnitude also stops the nuke A bombsite effect, where you have to crane your view up to the engage with the other player. This decrease in height difference will allow for smoother, less infuriating engagements.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/oLG424B.jpg]

    The layout for the A bombsite is strange, it has two mid connectors for example, one of which allows terrorists to traverse extremely quickly into the bombsite, meaning the CTs have no setup time to counter this attack. I think the connector with the window, is the best out of the two. This connector allows for CTs to play mid somewhat aggressively and gives this connector an interesting dynamic.

    You could for example remove the wider connector (the red area on the image), allowing for more tactical, intelligent play, rather than just an aim duel.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/whlTCL1.png]

    Both bombsites feel very similar. Both have extremely long initial engagements. Long engagements are not necessarily a bad thing, just boring if you want to adopt a different play-style, as you are forced into long range engagements almost everywhere on the level. You could make one of the bombsites more close range allowing for a better game-play dynamic, moreover the cover on both bombsites reflects this also, with almost all cover obscuring all the player, you could add varying heights of cover (not 64 units, it allows for nasty head-peeks).

    Display More
  • MapCore CS:GO Playtesting 4.0

    • DooM
    • June 8, 2015 at 9:19 AM
    Quote from VIOLATION

    Just realized I had packed a different version of the radar. This link should fix that issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B29xbu…W51M2w1ZzA/view

    Not sure what the spawns comment is though? There's never been an issue with spawns that I've had.

    Do you have at least 20 spawns? It's because the server has 20 slots and if there isn't 20 spawns, only a certain amount of people can play. Regarding visibility, did you not see the post I made in your thread? I outlined various areas of bad visibility, I would maybe fix them to allow for a less frustrating play-test.

  • Cs:Go Mapping Tips?

    • DooM
    • June 6, 2015 at 9:24 PM
    Quote from El_Exodus

    I've got something more to add for the radar helfer config file.

    One of the first lines automatically changes your resolution to the one you need for taking the radar screenshots. To change it back, just use this command in your other configs with your usual resolution.

    The echo line is just a reminder of the command you need to create your radar.

    Also some more stuff for the practice/maptest config file:

    The first 3 lines will show in the upper left corner, if noclip is enabled or not to minimize confusion when testing.

    The first line of the binds will help you to find unintended boosts and more. The second one will help you optimizing your map by seeing which areas of the map are rendered and which aren't.

    Display More

    Damn I am quickly adding this to my scripts on my pc, thanks exo!

  • Mapcore June 1 Announcement

    • DooM
    • June 1, 2015 at 11:36 AM
    Quote from Vaya

    twitch plays pokemon but SDKhammer instead.

    whatever is made replaces de_inferno in the map pool

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/RG0BS1U.gif]

  • [CS:GO] de_stars

    • DooM
    • May 31, 2015 at 8:44 PM
    Quote from Vorontsov

    No early morning feeling without it, looks like any other blocky boring csgo map otherwise when it comes to atmosphere

    Fog is terrible for game-play though.

  • [CS:GO] de_stars

    • DooM
    • May 31, 2015 at 7:56 PM

    I think your level looks much better without the fog, or consider toning it down just a little bit.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/kxi3uBP.jpg]

  • [CS:GO] de_orion

    • DooM
    • May 31, 2015 at 6:11 PM

    Just some feedback:

    Quote

    This head-peek in mid could be OP

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/EK7zLQB.jpg]

    This sliding door thing is nice, but I initially overlooked it as a route, and could be quite problematic for gameplay.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/t9SJ9iF.jpg]

    Moving around this thing is really awkward.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/QjkoE4G.jpg]

    You can jump onto the windows on the bridge at B and up onto this ledge, I think this should be clipped

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/wkrdZ2i.jpg]

    This angle at B could be OP

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/nlsU80V.jpg]

    64 unit boxes are bad, make them taller or shorter, 64 unit boxes lead to head peeks like this:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/ygcQ4hE.jpg]

    All of the stairs on the map seem really small?

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/GeE5cnT.jpg]

    This angle on A could be OP

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/BHaGkxU.jpg]

    This thingy on A could be a little too high up?

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/inlK8Dg.jpg]

    The next few images are a game of spot the player!

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/pZLtNRJ.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/4xjrN4Y.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/elA7CJb.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/Uoyry30.jpg]

    Anyway, back to angles, this angle in mid could be OP.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/1mDkPMA.jpg]

    This area at B is really unreadable, I think a fence or something should at least be there so players know they cannot stand there.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/bmvur9G.jpg]

    Display More

    Map looks promising, good luck mapping!

  • Cs:Go Mapping Tips?

    • DooM
    • May 29, 2015 at 5:35 PM

    Here are two of my cfg files I run via using exec command in the console. One is for practice or checking out your map, the other is for assistance in the making of radars.

    Practice:

    Quote

    // practice

    exec lowvolume;

    ammo_grenade_limit_total 6;
    bot_dont_shoot 1;
    bot_quota 0;
    con_filter_enable "2";
    con_filter_text "3D Distance";
    developer 1;
    mp_autokick 0;
    mp_autoteambalance 0;
    mp_ct_default_grenades "weapon_flashbang weapon_hegrenade weapon_smokegrenade weapon_incgrenade weapon_flashbang weapon_decoy";
    mp_t_default_grenades "weapon_flashbang weapon_hegrenade weapon_smokegrenade weapon_incgrenade weapon_flashbang weapon_decoy";
    mp_freezetime 3;
    mp_give_player_c4 0;
    mp_ignore_round_win_conditions 1;
    mp_limitteams 20;
    mp_match_end_restart 1;
    mp_maxrounds 9999;
    mp_respawn_on_death_ct 1;
    mp_respawn_on_death_t 1;
    mp_respawnwavetime_ct 1;
    mp_respawnwavetime_t 1;
    mp_round_restart_delay 1;
    mp_roundtime 59.75;
    mp_roundtime_defuse 59.75;
    mp_solid_teammates 1;
    mp_timelimit 0;
    mp_use_respawn_waves 1;
    mp_warmuptime 0;
    mp_warmup_end;
    mp_restartgame 1;
    sv_cheats 1;
    sv_coaching_enabled 1;
    sv_competitive_official_5v5 0;
    sv_damage_print_enable 1;
    sv_grenade_trajectory 1;
    sv_grenade_trajectory_time 10;
    sv_infinite_ammo 1;
    sv_matchpause_auto_5v5 0;
    sv_holiday_mode 0;
    sv_showimpacts 2;
    sv_showimpacts_time 2.5;

    echo "practice.cfg loaded";

    Display More

    Radar Helper:

    Quote

    sv_cheats 1
    Bot_kick
    cl_drawhud 0
    r_drawviewmodel 0
    r_skybox 0
    fog_override 1
    fog_enable 0
    cl_leveloverviewmarker 1024

    Display More

    There's also a really useful bind you can use for testing angles. First have a bot on the other team, type bot_stop 1 into the console and bind bot_place to whatever key you want, then look where you want to place the bot and press your bind.

  • [CSGO] de_cargo

    • DooM
    • May 27, 2015 at 9:14 PM
    Quote from LizardPL

    *text*

    Also regarding this area, I was in ts with Jackophant and we decided that A was way to difficult for Ts to take, and that Ts should have another entrance to the bombsite.

    I suggested this. I don't know if it would work, but it could be interesting.

    You could cut off this garage making it a little smaller.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/l8QBezM.jpg]

    And add a route here:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/mgnI6Ml.jpg]

  • [CSGO] de_cargo

    • DooM
    • May 27, 2015 at 7:43 PM
    Quote from LizardPL

    *Some text*

    On that last image, what exactly have you done, did you remove the jumpy wall thing?

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™