1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Single

Posts by Single

  • Tinted props aren't properly displayed anymore in the CSGO SDK

    • Single
    • March 6, 2016 at 12:42 AM

    I've also found that the Shaded Textured view doesn't always show alternate skins on props, either. Very confusing!

  • CS:GO Blog - Lighting and Shader Improvements

    • Single
    • February 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    They also added a skybox_swapper entity, allows you to fake weather effects really nicely!

    PS Mapcore doesn't support inline web/gifv embedding? http://imgur.com/v9Nm2nv

  • de_outback

    • Single
    • February 18, 2016 at 8:26 AM
    Quote from baem123

    [everything you said]

    Thankyou for the feedback! I'll take it all into consideration. The map is large by design, so it being AWP friendly is ok (subject to playtesting). The open skybox should hopefully (with good visual aids) encourage smokes, which might cut down some of the distances, and push awpers out of good cover.

    I've considered making the other bombsite a non-train bombsite, a bit short for ideas that aren't simply boxes everywhere. I also have plans for including elevation, that doesn't include boosting. May implement them later on.

    Quote from lynx

    looks very promising! I like that you added water, its always cool if you can locate enemies by using your ears

    regarding the layout, it looks as if the Ts reach mid before the CTs. have to test that as soon as im home.

    Thankyou! Yeah, the water will stay, but I'll put mud and stuff around the edges, to pretty it up.

    In playtesting, CTs and Ts got to mid, on average, at the same time (to within 0.5-1.0 seconds). The variation comes from one faction getting a good spawn and the other faction getting a bad spawn, but this is unavoidable.

  • de_outback

    • Single
    • February 14, 2016 at 9:59 AM

    Sorry for being away from Mapcore for so long. I've been really caught up in things-that-aren't-mapping. Have only found time on some evenings to actually do some mapping, let alone post in forums about mapping. I've come back looking for some critique on a greybox I've been working on:

    de_outback

    (WIP) Terrorists have become increasingly frustrated wiith coal mining in the region, and plan to blow up a coal loading facility in rural Australia.

    The map is obviously far from done. I've included screenshots, some of which are showing the encounter times and location hints. A radar overview is presented at the end.

    Some notes:

    • The map is fairly large: this is by design. I took the 'form is function' approach for this, taking inspiration from the flat, expansive Australian outback.
    • Yes, that's a custom dev texture. I found it hard to look at the Valve supplied ones, so I just made my own.
    • It's not yet ready for playtesting, there are about 10,000 ways to escape the map. I wanted to learn from my prior mistakes, and get layout/gameplay feedback BEFORE I organise a playtest, so that I don't waste 20+ peoples time!
    • The map is only partially textured. Some areas have "final" texturing, other areas have "beta" texturing, others only have normal maps.
    • It can be found on the workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=531145397. Note that this version is not ready for general playtesting, as the map can be easily escaped, and lacks sufficient spawn points. However, by the time this post is finished, it will be ready for a run-around.
    • Yes, I'm aware that blue-orange is overdone, but I wanted to do a map in the Australian outback and that's just what colour it is out there!

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/HHUshgZ.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/lTQwT9p.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/rZI5FbZ.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/4Hd8CnH.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/jmFDWCv.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/SJsAD82.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/OcQdHGk.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/mGH46z4.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/ylPCCUg.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/xZLHiPF.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/BCaX72j.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/dwVMfGi.png]

    Workshop link is here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=531145397. When I 'finish' the map, I'll make a new workshop entry, this one is only for the WIP version.

    Taking criticism on basically everything, providing you've read the notes at the top of the post!

    Thanks everyone.

  • ar_turnstile

    • Single
    • October 12, 2015 at 11:22 PM

    I ran around the map, overall I really liked the aesthetics! Good work. I had some feedback to offer.

    Overall I think that there are lots of low-resolution textures that could afford to have more pixels in them. One standout example is this directory:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/VM5F8hj.jpg]

    I can barely make out the words. This locker model as well:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/XEzuJM1.jpg]

    This may not matter for players desperately trying to avoid Negev, but I feel like it makes the map seem Playstation 2-ish.

    Though m_fastnobump 1 revealed that your floor textures are using normal maps, it really doesn't show. Adding/boosting the specular of the floor tiles, or increasing the amplitude of the normal map will go a long way. Your floor tile is one of your 'main' textures, you use it just about everywhere, as such, it should be showing off!

    Speaking of normal maps, your non-slip tiles should also be bumped map, because they look a bit silly flat:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/I67M8jZ.jpg]

    Lastly, I know that you're using a default 2D skybox here, but in my opinion, but changing the time of day/weather could work heavily in your favour.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/DzgJRWr.jpg]

    I can easily imagine seeing a night sky with neon buildings, or even better, rain coming down and landing on the glass! The rain would allow you to use rainy soundscapes as well, always exciting.

  • [WIP] de_coast

    • Single
    • August 25, 2015 at 9:06 AM

    As cool as the night theme looks, I just can get past how bright and sunny and happy the day theme is. Whilst they both look terrific, I'm gunna buck the trend and say that the day theme is the way to go.

  • de_neutron

    • Single
    • August 24, 2015 at 11:04 AM

    de_neutron version 1.1 is here! A whole heap of visual updates and bug fixes!

    Here are some screenshots of the updated areas. Lots of areas received little or no updating, so I didn't upload them here.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/ycWq0j6.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/u3MdcWs.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/wZfRdt0.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/ZHR2izD.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/bklMWx5.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/tkmR4JU.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/naYpaGa.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/IdR8fPq.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/S3lg1G8.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/cbtfkEd.jpg]


    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/KXNFRdF.jpg]

    Here are the change notes!

    Quote

    ##########CHANGE LOG############

    ## de_neutron ver 1.1 change log ##

    # NEW AND IMPROVED
    - Redid the tops of the buildings around mid. Textured most of the surfaces, and added a selection of antennas, cables, and air conditioner units. Huge thanks to Squad and tomm from Mapcore.org for the inspiration.
    - Completely rebuilt the 3D skybox. Is now larger, and uses a better texture.
    - Improved the roofs around B site, with antennas, air conditioners, vents, etc.
    - Rotated the double stack on A-site, and added some fallen cables.
    - Put in an (inaccessible) room above cafeteria.
    - Added a few more machines and cables around A-site, for prettiness.
    - Rebuilt the entrance into A site from lockers for terrorists, also added pipes, cables, vents etc.
    - Put in a few more props around B site, and modified the ones that are already there.
    - Laid some carpet around lockers and heaven, to break up the concrete.
    - Put a bit more colour around mid, particularly around mid connector.
    - Prettied up the courtyard with some lights on the awning to the canteen.
    - Moved a door from T-to-atrium, and added some more carpeting to the floor.
    - Put in some lights above doorways between areas, to improve pathing.
    - Built a few pipes and vents around vending/servers.
    - Added a few more pipes, vents and greebles around lockers and radio.
    - Put in some cute relaxing cafe music, to compliment your cappuccino.
    - Added a set of spectator cameras.
    - Put in some more cubemaps around mid to improve window reflections.
    - Modified the soundscape around lockers/radio, added more sounds, changed those that were there.
    - Added a few extra vents and pipes around CT spawn.
    - Tweaked some texturing around B site and in atrium, to break up some vertical lines.
    - Added a few sneaky easter eggs.


    # BUG AND EXPLOIT FIXES
    - The entire map has had a massive clip/noclip pass. Many thanks go out to Fnuggi and OneBit of the Mapcore.org community, as well as Phartona on the Steam Workshop, for pointing out most of these exploits.
    - Fixed a number of floating, or otherwise misaligned props. Thanks again to OneBit!
    - Textured the roof of the garage near B site.
    - Fixed some brushwork in atrium to avoid seeing culled faces.
    - The metal door at the back of hut should now show metal decals when shot.
    - Fixed an overly loud pipe in lockers.
    - Increased the reflectivity ($envmaptint) of all the black square windows.
    - Fixed the phong on the laptop model.
    - Properly aligned the plywood sign at A site.
    - Fixed a glitching pipe in construction.
    - Removed some vents in construction. They were just too difficult.
    - Fixed reflectivity on the unbreakable glass texture.
    - Removed an erroneous baseboard prop in T spawn.
    - Fixed up some fade distances, for optimisaiton.
    - Added another areaportal between CT-to-A and A-site.
    - Fixed some cubemap faces around long hall, and in cafeteria.
    - Did some minor prop and texture optimisations across the map.

    Display More

    I'll edit these screenshots into the OP. Providing there aren't any major bugs, this version of the map will constitute my competition entry.

    It's still uploading, but here is a link to the map on the Steam Workshop, if you haven't played the map yet: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=485441486

  • [WIP] de_bastion2 | de_bastion2 (Night)

    • Single
    • August 22, 2015 at 1:51 AM

    Hmmm, I ran around today and my FPS didn't drop as low. Perhaps it was some background process screwing it up. Regardless, my FPS was lowest around A site, looking at the 'short' tunnel (160 fps) and at the fountain near T spawn (140 fps). Running around other parts of the map, I get between 220 and 320 FPS.

    I have an Intel i5-2400, 8 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 270X (2 GB VRAM). Also playing off some cheapo SSD.

  • [WIP] de_bastion2 | de_bastion2 (Night)

    • Single
    • August 20, 2015 at 12:09 AM

    I think that the colours and the aesthetics all work really well together, and there were some layout ideas that I liked on this map. I initially found the layout confusing, but after a few rounds I sorta got the hang of it. Whilst it's good that the theme is consistent everywhere, I found it difficult to differentiate some areas of the map from each other, without looking at the radar (am I on the way to A or B?)

    But it seems that everywhere I went, I had rather poor FPS. I didn't take the time to do any diagnostics (eg mat_leafvis 3/mat_wireframe 1), but it seemed that particularly around the CT side of the map, I would dip down to 60/70 fps, from my usual ~150/200 fps.

    Also that spiral staircase heading up to B is brutal for low sensitivities.

  • de_neutron

    • Single
    • August 2, 2015 at 12:05 PM
    Quote from Gap

    Hey there,

    absolutely love the map! I just love it! Found a weird bug on bombsite A (between the two barrels and the crate) - it's probz the same as on de_dust2 (on B).

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQjCdy-1MZY

    I recorded the bug - hope you can fix it!


    - Gap

    Display More

    Oh man I've always dreamed about bugs like this, thanks for the tip!

  • de_neutron

    • Single
    • July 24, 2015 at 3:37 AM

    Wow, so much feedback! Thanks to everyone! Now, getting into it all:

    Quote from Fnuggi

    The map looks really good so far, but you definitely do another clipping pass.

    I made a little video with some feedback.

    More important tho, did you fix this issue?

    (Note: I tried to remove the youtube video from the quote above, but I wasn't able to? EDIT: So, it glitched out, and THEN I could delete it. I don't know. Also, the quote in Fnuggi's post is not present in the quote above. Issues with the new forum software?)

    Haha, clearly I didn't make it as Fnuggi-proof as I should have. I was aware of lot's of these boosts, but based on the Reddit playtest, and my own playtests, I haven't really seen anybody exploit them/show them to be OP. But you taught me about quite a few that I want to remove, simply for being gamebreaking. The boost at the end tho, thats absolutely insane. I'm so impressed with yours and everyones creativity in absolutely breaking the map!

    With the windows above the rolling doors, I was happy with them being accessible, but lots of people on the Steam Workshop are saying they should be blocked out/made inaccessible. What do you guys think?

    Quote from SotaPoika

    It looks pretty cool with the simple and minimalistic style, but I just feel the bombsites look really boring and empty. They could use some more detail and geometry (that doesn't have to affect gameplay actually) to spice things up. For example, the platform at A seems like very basic geometry, no edges or trims. B-site's platform-to-ground transition is super simple too. The crates/boxes could have some other angles than 90 degrees to make it bit less "gamey". I know it might be realistic this way, but I guess it's a game so it could have stuff that makes it interesting looking even if it's not 100% accurate.

    Yeah, a whole heap of the map is on the 90-degree map. I hadn't really noticed it until you've pointed it out to me, but I think you're right, I can 'spice' up some areas of the map by rotating things a bit. Thanks for the tip!

    Quote from El_Exodus

    When i look at the screenshots i always miss some contrast colour above headlevel. It looks too depressing atm. With some small orange/blue/green/yellow/(pink) textures you could create some interesting visuals in your level. Also the lighting looks like 50 shades of grey. Some spicey colourful spotlights could really make a difference.

    I have totally no problem with clean looking maps. But it needs to look a bit more interesting imho.

    € Look at my PS skills, my PS skills are amazing!

    [cut images]


    Quote from Squad

    Have you considered using colors for player guidance? Here's a suggestion of what you could do (could be another color off course, I just picked something).

    Also, I would add reflections to all the windows. Will make them look a lot better, as well as the overall area.

    Other than that, this is coming together very nicely! Keep it up

    [cut image]


    Yeah, I had been working towards making the concrete areas of the map a bit more colourful, but I wanted to avoid using too many colours in an area. Looking at the feedback that other people get here a lot is that areas should have a simple 1/2/3 colour scheme, with sparing use of contrasting colours for highlights. Looking at my scenes, I was trying to be conservative with my use of bright colours, so as to keep the aesthetic fairly simple. THAT SAID, some of the highlights you guys drew on I think would make great additions, so I'll definitely add some of them in the next patch. Thanks a lot guys!

    Quote from onebit

    Hidden Content

    Wow, this is so thorough! This must have taken forever to do, so I'm very grateful that you went through and found all this.

    • The first few screenshots are very useful, so thankyou for pointing those out to me.
    • With the nav mesh issues, I wasn't particularly worried about the bots jumping the fence, because in my bot playtesting, when they try and jump the fence, they end up screwing around for ages, and end up walking around anyway. Given this, I deleted all the fence tops, and all the ramp-sides, to force the bots to take the long way around, because ultimately the long way around is shorter.
    • All of these bomb-stuck places are terrific, thankyou! Were all of these bombs put there under normal conditions, i.e., without using noclip, and in only a couple of attempts? If so, then I have a lot of work to do, and thankyou.. If players need to cheat, or spend a lot of time perfecting the throw, then I'm not sure if it's worth fixing.
    • With the floaters, lots of the prop_physics_multiplayer's are floating because if they are just 1 unit closer to the ground, shooting them makes wonky physics, where they sometimes disappear into the world. I tried to move things around so that the player wouldn't ever see this gap under normal playing conditions, but I'll have a closer look at the map to see if I can fix any of these!


    Quote from tomm

    Also, since the map is so clean looking I think you could make the top of the map a little more interesting and visually busy

    lil photoshop

    [image clips]

    I know it's kinda dumb to put electric towers on rooftops, but it's just an idea.

    Not dumb at all! You reminded me that this was part of my initial vision. I used my university as a visual reference, and almost every rooftop on the campus is littered with smoke stacks, telecommunications equipment, or other greebles. This idea ties in well with Exodus's point that there isn't much visual interested above eye level, so this is definitely something I'm going to investigate.

    Quote from Squad

    No, indeed. But there are other possibilities:

    [image clip]

    Terrific! Now I don't need to ride to uni to get reference images! Thanks pal!

    Once again, thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts about Neutron. Looking over these comments, I feel more inspired to open up the SDK again. This is good for Neutron, but bad for my honours program!

    I'll start working on a patch when I get some free time, which will hopefully be before the competition deadline!

  • de_neutron

    • Single
    • July 22, 2015 at 2:07 AM

    Thanks for the kind words guys!

    Quote from jackophant

    so this is finished, or...?

    Yes and no. I feel like there is more that could be done to the map, but I've been working on it for so long, I feel a little burnt out about it. In addition, I start uni again next week, so I'll have less time to work on mapping anyway.

    So I've decided to 'release' it, and do some visual upgrades/optimisation in future patches. No ETA on those though.

  • de_neutron

    • Single
    • July 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM

    Neutron

    de_neutron is a defuse map set in a modern nuclear research institute. After unsuccessful efforts to stop German nuclear power, the Balkans are hitting the the newly constructed facility, targeting either the research reactor (site A), or the military shipment in the loading bay (site B). The GSG9 have been sent in to stop the attack.

    After a lengthy development, with a complete re-design or two, I'm finally releasing Neutron, and submitting it into the mapping contest. I gained quite a lot from my first Mapcore playtest here 6 months ago, and the /r/globaloffensive + mapcore competition playtesting really helped me nail some of the finer details.

    Edit: Updated on 24 August 2015 with some newer screenshots, from version 1.1.

    Link to the Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=485441486

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/ycWq0j6.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/gR8oLCl.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/wZfRdt0.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/KNLJsg1.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/ZHR2izD.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/nXdQaFw.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/tkmR4JU.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/wpRdMjQ.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/KXNFRdF.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/HGOyN5w.jpg]

    Link to the Steam Workshop, again: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=485441486

    Thanks everyone!

  • CSGO Map Compiling/Beginner Questions

    • Single
    • June 27, 2015 at 1:06 AM
    Quote from NihiL

    Thanks @Single for typing that out. I wasn't aware of that decal material property, good to know what the cause of this is!

    That's ok!

    Quote from NihiL

    About the vvis issue: thanks for making such a long post! I was unfortunately already aware of the way bsp/vis works and how func_details are used haha so that was, while very nicely written and hopefully helpful to others, not exactly news to me I have already func_detailed absolutely everything that isn't 'big' and blocks line of sight, every stair, arch, small trim/outline brush etc.

    Oh dear, how embarrassing. I wasn't sure how much of your world had been func_detail-d, and I didn't want to make any assumptions, so I kinda just went all out. Sorry I wrote out so much...

    Quote from Michael Greenwood

    Single Your long post on Visleaves was not in vain and helped me greatly. Thanks a lot!

    ... but I'm glad that it at least helped somebody! Not a problem Michael, genuinely glad to be of service.

    Quote from Squad

    Just wondering why you didn't func_detail the actual balcony and the solids underneath the stairs. If it was just to show where the brushes are cutting the world, then that is fine off course, but I think it should be made clear that ideally they should be func_detailed as well

    That being said, nice post overall!

    The short, simple answer is: because this is a greybox, and I don't care.

    I agree, the little 'landing' on the stairs could be func_detailed, as well as the balcony on the right, as well as a very large number of other brushes in the world. Since I put this greybox together for testing a layout, I only really used my basic vvis optimisation instinct (STAIRS = FUNC_DETAIL). An optimisation pass on the map would definitely include the balcony and the landing.

  • CSGO Map Compiling/Beginner Questions

    • Single
    • June 25, 2015 at 1:42 AM
    Quote from NihiL

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/8CzzizN.png]

    That's an example of a flickering decal. Any further ideas?

    @laminutederire: I'm aware of how important optimization is, I was asking my question because I used to get good in-game performance with VIS that took long, as expected, and now for no apparent reason it goes by much quicker during compilation (like 10x faster but not instant like actual FAST VIS) and I get way worse in-game performance (ie. FPS). And that's what puzzles me as I didn't do much except add a couple more func_details.

    You can make an overlay stop flicking in Hammer by adding $decal 1 to it's .vmf. Lot's of valve decals do not have this parameter in them, but reasons not known to me. If you want to make a Valve decal stop flicking, you could copy and paste the decal's .vmf from the vpk, adding $decal 1. See the valve developer community wiki for more.


    Quote from NihiL

    @laminutederire I don't think you understood my problem? vis is compiling too fast, not too slow. It's suspiciously fast and ingame it seems like it did 'a bad job'. I didn't change much about the map at all. Don't want to sound too aggressive, it sounds like you misunderstood my issue tho!

    You can test to see which parts of your map are being rendered in-game, and thus check to see if vbsp and vvis are doing their jobs properly. With the map loaded, kick bots (in console type bot_kick, then press enter), set infinite warmup (mp_warmup_pausetimer 1) or long warmup (mp_warmuptime A BIG NUMBER), then type mat_leafvis 3, show the potentially visible set (PVS) from your location. Each of these blue rectangles represents a visleaf in your map. As you move around the map, you should notice that the visleafs which are being rendered (ie, the blue rectangles you can see) change. If there are blue rectangles being rendered on the other side of the map, then you've either not run vvis properly, or not optimised properly.

    My go-to compile parameters for vvis (or $vis_exe) are "-game $gamedir $path\$file". You should check to see if there is anything wrong in your Run Map [Advanced] window. You should also make sure that the checkbox is ticked next to the $vis_exe entry on the left of the window.

    Optimising a source map is worth far more than a comment on a forum. There is so, so much you could do. This article is in my opinion, fantastic, and should come bundled with the SDK, and I half think users should be forced to read it before giving them access to Hammer. But, if you're still in early stages, you probably don't need HINT or SKIP brushes, especially if you don't have many props out.

    Without seeing the map (and thus taking this with a grain of salt), I'm going to say that you haven't made enough of your world brushes into func_detail. A very large number of the brushes in your map should be made into func_detail.

    • Stairs? Func_detail, all of it.
    • A wall with a window you can see through? Make the window AND the wall func_detail.
    • Plywood leaning against the wall? Func_detail.
    • Brushwork window or doorframe you made? Func_detail.
    • The piece of brushwork glass you put in the window model? Func_detail.
    • Mirage->Palace style pillars? Func_detail.
    • Anything made of brushwork which isn't a solid wall, floor or ceiling? Func_detail.

    Basically, if you look at a map, and see something which isn't a model, and you think it's world geometry:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/8bkxFVr.png]


    Quote from NihiL

    So right now I optimized my map to have pretty much exactly 3k portals and vis takes a blazing 4 minutes only. Way too fast surely? On full settings with the slowest preset in Expert mode? No errors in the compile log (should I post that, would anybody look at it?) and map is optimized with func_details and nodraw but no hints/skips yet.

    Personally, I think it's INSANITY that your vvis compile takes 4 minutes, and that you think that's blazing.

    • de_typhoon takes 1 minute 57 seconds to do vvis. This was for the release version, in a map with a large number of inset windows, doors, and an open skybox. I am unhappy with this compiile time.
    • ar_skate takes 0 seconds, according to the compile log. After Typhoon, I learnt the importance of func_detail. Almost the entire map is func_detail.
    • de_neutron takes 9 seconds, sometimes 8 if I don't have other programs open. de_neutron is a full defuse map, with some indoor and some outdoor areas.

    Despite what I've just typed out, I'm not trying to say what is wrong and what is right for compile time. It may be that you have a worse processor than me. But if my vvis compile time was anywhere near 4 minutes, I'd be shitting bricks.

    Func_detail is hugely important for optimisation. World geometry (ie, brushes which aren't made into entities) 'cut' the world with the help of vbsp, into 3D polygons, or visleaves. Vvis then checks every pair of visleaves, and checks which visleaves can see each other. Every time you add a visleaf to the set, vvis must now compare that visleaf with EVERY other existing visleaf.

    Let's say I have a stupidly simple map made of brushwork, and vbps decides that I only have 5 visleaves.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/3iC7Jtq.png]

    Vvis will calculate whether each visleaf can see each other visleaf as follows:

    • CAN 1 SEE 2 YES
    • CAN 1 SEE 3 YES
    • CAN 1 SEE 4 NO
    • CAN 1 SEE 5 NO
    • CAN 2 SEE 3 YES
    • CAN 2 SEE 4 YES
    • CAN 2 SEE 5 YES
    • CAN 3 SEE 4 YES
    • CAN 3 SEE 5 YES
    • CAN 4 SEE 5 NO

    It performs 10 calculations total. Now, let's imagine I build another wall, as follows.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/CfQhWkQ.png]

    There are now 6 visleaves. So now, vvis comes along and does it's thing. IN ADDITION TO THE 10 CALCULATIONS ABOVE, it must also calculate visiblity for the 6th visleaf, so

    • CAN 1 SEE 6 NO
    • CAN 2 SEE 6 NO
    • CAN 3 SEE 6 NO
    • CAN 4 SEE 6 NO
    • CAN 5 SEE 6 YES

    So, vvis has now made 15 calculations total, up from 10, by simpling adding one more visleaf. Note that we made 5 more calculations; the same number of visleafs we started with. So, if you have x number of visleafs, making y number of visibility calculations (where y is usually much greater than x), having x+1 visleaves will mean you need to do x+y calculations.

    Given this, it should be clear that to save CPU cycles, .bsp file size, and time, you want to reduce the number of visleaves wherever possible. As an example, I'll show you the effect that simple stairs have on the number of visleaves in a map. Shown below is one way of doing stairs as func_detail in a greybox map I am working on. To show the visleafs in Hammer, go to Map > Load Portal File > Yes.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/lOFqQNN.png]

    Here, I've made the stairs func_detail. The blue lines show where vbsp has cut the world. You can see that the walls, the balcony and the landing of the stairs are cutting the world, but the stairs are not. Here are the brushes I've assigned to be func_detail, to make it clearer.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/iCmvL4n.png]

    Now, I've done the unimaginable, and I've moved these brushes back to the world with ctrl+w. The result is this:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/il5W6IM.png]

    As you can see, I've added an almost uncountable number of visleaves to the set, which is going to geometrically increase my vvis compile time. In short: func_detail everything little, and everything you can easily see around. Do not func_detail walls which you don't want to render the other side of.

    Wow, this turned into a massive post. Sorry about that. If there are any mistakes, let me know and I'll edit this comment appropriately.

  • de_neutron

    • Single
    • June 23, 2015 at 7:34 AM

    de_neutron is being playtested tonight/tomorrow thanks to /r/globaloffensive for the Reddit/Mapcore mapping competition! EU playtest is at 7:30 CEST, US playtest at 9:30 EST. Here's a couple of screens from the most recent version.

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/dUL2hQj.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/bHt6kUE.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/ATg5xhF.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/j2YUEok.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/GjbSPgH.jpg]

    And I finally updated the radar:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/bJCaju0.png]

    You can get the beta version of the map on the workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi…s/?id=270382945. When I 'release' the map, I'll likely make a new workshop entry, and make this one private, for testing patches.

    I consider the map 80/90% complete now. I'm looking forward to getting it finished. From the playtest, I'm hoping to get opinions on how the cover and angles work in the map, as well as opinions on graphical details. I'm fairly happy with the layout and the overall theme, but I'll take whatever feedback you're willing to give.

  • [CSGO] Crash

    • Single
    • June 23, 2015 at 1:18 AM
    Quote from Feral_

    You may need to read the workshop description.

    "All ported models and textures belong to Infinity Ward / Activision Studios and as such is this map is to be classified as a derivative work of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. "

    Blind as a bat. Thanks!

  • [CSGO] Crash

    • Single
    • June 22, 2015 at 7:17 AM

    There are lot of models/assets here that I don't think are in the stock CS:GO files. Did you make these all yourself? If so, that's an insane amount of work in such a short time.

  • de_typhoon

    • Single
    • June 5, 2015 at 4:46 AM
    Quote from text_fish

    Entering a completed project just because you can seems a bit cynical to me. I realise it's a flaw in the rules of the competition, and the same idea crossed my mind after reading the Hotel Gellert thread, but I decided against it because it's not in the spirit of the competition.


    Oh well, best of luck to you, it's an alright map if my memory serves me correctly.

    I was initially salty when I saw Hotel Gellert as an entry into the competition. I was expecting a new rule to be added to prevent already-completed maps being submitted, but FMPone said Hotel Gellert was fine. I do honestly have mixed feelings about submitting a map I already felt was complete, but since you are allowed to enter multiple times, I figure I could submit my other work-in-progress map Neutron, maybe before it's at it's final stages.


    Quote from st0lve

    Haven't tried the map, but doesn't running around in water all day make a ton of noise? And by the looks of it, you can't really avoid it unless you take a completely different route.

    If you've already had it tested etc., what are the times to each bombsite and rotate time?

    The map has been tested a large number of times. When you're running in water, it makes a bit of a quiet splashing sound, which is about as quiet as running on concrete. When you run INTO or OUT OF water, it makes a rather loud and distinct splashing sound. Walking in, into, or out of water is silent, as it is with other materials.

    I don't have numbers on hand for the rotate times or arrival times, but CT's get line-of-sight to each bombsite 2-5 seconds before terrorists (based on spawns). Terrorists arrive at bombsite B slightly earlier than they do at bombsite A (also based on spawns). Rotate times for CT's are fairly long, something around 10 seconds from the garage at the back of A site to the end of the hallway near B site.


    Quote from FreekSh0w

    Awww shucks, I played this a while ago and it was a damned fine map. Good luck.

    Thankyou! I'm glad you like it.

  • de_typhoon

    • Single
    • June 4, 2015 at 1:41 AM
    Quote from text_fish

    Are you planning on doing any more work on this map?

    I'm fairly happy with how the map looks and plays, but if somebody suggests a change I like, I might implement it.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™