1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. tomm

Posts by tomm

  • The Half-Life 3 thread of closure and memorium AKA what Tyler McVicker just said on YouTube

    • tomm
    • February 23, 2016 at 5:02 PM
    Quote from blackdog

    Not that I tried it much, but I don't like L4D. The money I spent in the first is one of the worse spent ever in my life.

    that hurt my feelings, first l4d has a special place in my heart. Your post just shows that you haven't really given it a chance.

    the game has a ton of depth and strategies involved, the nerve-wrecking feeling when everything got silent and you knew a nasty ambush by the infected team was about to happen at any time.

    There were many cases where one team lost because of a small mistake.. it was also at the brink of a nice competitive scene.. until they announced l4d2 and successfully killed it.

    but that's just like my opinion man.

  • problem with blender model in Hammer editor

    • tomm
    • February 22, 2016 at 8:13 PM

    hey

    I think you're currently looking into "csgo\materials\industrial"

    try

    Quote

    $cdmaterials "models\industrial"

  • [csgo] Lighting on props broken since Wildfire Update? (+ Possible fix)

    • tomm
    • February 19, 2016 at 4:49 PM

    I've noticed static props aren't lit properly in my case, info_lighting seems to be ignored or not as effective as it used to.

    also computing static prop lighting takes a lot longer than it did before the update, yet the props look the same or maybe even worse.

  • Looking for a modeler to make some shotguns

    • tomm
    • February 17, 2016 at 11:17 PM

    how much do you pay?

  • Zombie mod help!

    • tomm
    • February 13, 2016 at 1:25 PM

    yeah let's do it

  • Blender Modeling For CSGO?

    • tomm
    • February 10, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    Quote from clankill3r

    I hated blender, I have tried it a few times in the past when it wasn't so good. They improved really well over the years. And they are heading in a nice direction with clear goals to work on.

    it looks the same to me as 10 years ago, button fest

    no hate though, it's a powerful piece of software.. I just couldn't get used to the UI.

  • [CS:GO] de_sirius

    • tomm
    • February 5, 2016 at 7:54 PM

    looks amazing, any good resources on how to get something similar?

  • My Advanced Hammer YouTube Tutorial Series (Episode 8 RELEASED: Packing Textures/Models into the BSP)

    • tomm
    • February 3, 2016 at 7:13 PM

    There's a small mistake in your video

    $surfaceprop doesn't refer to the texture file name, the texture file name is already embedded in the smd when you export it, so the compiler only cares about the directory where your materials are.

    $surfaceprop defines the physical properties of your model, you'll get bullet impacts based on that.

    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Material_surface_properties

    great video though, wish we had this 10 years ago :v

  • de_havana

    • tomm
    • February 3, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    Quote from jackophant

    Dare I ask what this is going to do to our FPS when finished?

    it's not that bad, the complex looking stuff is usually faked with a normal map.

  • de_havana

    • tomm
    • February 3, 2016 at 4:55 PM

    small update, there's not much worth showing.. I just desperately wanted to update the thread.

    [Blocked Image: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/314492958144261846/C219B5A1AEA8E59EEE638CA3A6281B7E4931DBD9/]

    check back in 2018, we will have another building


    maybe

  • Paragon (Epic Games)

    • tomm
    • January 29, 2016 at 9:39 PM

    got 2 invites left to the alpha testing, send me a pm with your email addresses if you're interested.

    edit: all sent out.

  • Need to find a new vein of motivation for personal projects.

    • tomm
    • January 27, 2016 at 5:05 PM

    to spark some motivation maybe we could start a small ue4 project anyone could contribute to, of course it would have to be maintained by someone I guess.

    maybe a small exploration game or something simple/minimal, puzzle solving whatever.

    could be a great learning opportunity for everyone.

  • [WIP] De_Wulfe

    • tomm
    • January 20, 2016 at 12:29 PM

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    lol sorry

  • [Source] Need help with strange leak

    • tomm
    • January 17, 2016 at 7:39 PM

    welcome to hint/skip nightmare(I'm just guessing)

  • Has "Dust" theme become too old to replicate?

    • tomm
    • January 16, 2016 at 2:48 PM

    I think it's about execution rather than theme, make the map stand out so it has its own identity.

    easier said than done though.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • tomm
    • January 15, 2016 at 6:07 PM
    Quote from Stollat

    Hi!
    This is my first post as I'm new to the site.
    Right now I'm working on a CS aim-map, and I would like to make parts of the map diagonal. The entrance to one building for example.

    I'm having a struggle finding out how to make this due to the fact that the some vertices always get off grid and this might be complicated to "sew together" with the other parts of the map. Right now I'm building the entrance and corridors in 90 degree angles and then rotate the whole building by 45 degrees. However I don't know if this is the best approach.

    Thanks!

    <pics and stuff>

    hey

    good approach, however you should probably make those entrances/corridors in a separate vmf and load them up in your original via func_instance and rotate there. This will preserve your geometry all on grid so it's easy to edit.

    as far as I know it's close to impossible to make 45° angled stuff align perfectly on grid, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

  • de_havana

    • tomm
    • January 9, 2016 at 11:39 PM

    blame the spanish colonists for bringing their fancy looking architecture and stuff into cuba

  • Problem with overview/minimap/radar

    • tomm
    • January 7, 2016 at 3:11 PM

    the straight red line is correct, it indicates the boundary(or edge) of the square. What you need to do is position the level rougly in the middle of that square

    here's a pic:

    Quote

    [Blocked Image: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/3606523214…FD2E16FB61D167/]

    NP!

    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Creating_…_overview_image

  • Happy New Year Friends !

    • tomm
    • January 1, 2016 at 6:22 PM

    [Blocked Image: https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ghettoredhot.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F12%2Fhappy-easter-steve-harvey.jpg&f=1]

  • Breakable walls?

    • tomm
    • December 26, 2015 at 11:02 PM

    you could fake it by placing a broken version of the wall(probably a custom static mesh) behind the to-be-broken piece of wall so that it gets revealed after you destroy the brush, if that makes sense.


    edit: another interesting solution came to my mind, since you can shoot doors into pieces you could literally make the wall into a door(locked obviously). You'd have to model all the individual pieces though and play around with the *.qc file .. I think this could work nicely, but it's probably too much work.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™