1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. bluedude86

Posts by bluedude86

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • bluedude86
    • August 3, 2012 at 4:09 AM

    This is something that I started for the WOLD story challenge, never finished in time for the contest but came back to six months later. Made in radiant using MW1 assets.

    [Blocked Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nLiXXmLD09c/T_ukznrMckI/AAAAAAAAAMU/XruOonFMqN4/s1600/backright-ig-20120709.JPG]

    [Blocked Image: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yL0lN01_Fu8/T_uk0DV0YFI/AAAAAAAAAMc/_KfjE--OaLE/s1600/countryroad-ig-20120709.JPG]

    [Blocked Image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E-gN2IUFvlM/T_uk0x0ahDI/AAAAAAAAAMk/2nKb1nMFHmI/s1600/fireplace-ig-20120709.JPG]

    [Blocked Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bgUoTWGxSD8/T_uk1agwLXI/AAAAAAAAAMo/F6PiH8MWBOA/s1600/frontdoor-ig-20120709.JPG]

    [Blocked Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3HGBbzCcQ6M/T_uk1s7QDNI/AAAAAAAAAM0/EtYxNjGInK0/s1600/houseback-ig-20120709.JPG]

    [Blocked Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FvwICmwOFBA/T_uk2Jt6g8I/AAAAAAAAAM8/r9NNfu7eaw8/s1600/housefront-ig-20120709.JPG]

    [Blocked Image: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QFFrkAyJKaM/T_uk2ixxlMI/AAAAAAAAANE/IXcYO9Mw8OM/s1600/houseside-ig-20120709.JPG]

    [Blocked Image: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZXbCEWwubdU/T_uk3F8AgaI/AAAAAAAAANM/EwnDWrEYHTw/s1600/housestairs-ig-20120709.JPG]

    [Blocked Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BTEckbLJAVc/T_uk3RjBl2I/AAAAAAAAANU/fFcrgkZEgHo/s1600/housetopleft-ig-20120709.JPG]

    [Blocked Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uiWuBcJFj8I/T_uk4EpNiqI/AAAAAAAAANc/7ApRKnJRByQ/s1600/topright-ig-20120709.JPG]

  • THE DOOR CHALLENGE: Voting

    • bluedude86
    • May 28, 2011 at 2:25 AM

    Puddy - I wouldn't blame it all on the dialog content, I think it was more the source engine text-display speed and walk speed. Do you plan on expanding the level to a longer game? It seems like a good basis for future levels/story.

  • THE DOOR CHALLENGE: Voting

    • bluedude86
    • May 27, 2011 at 4:10 AM

    Thanks for the advice and approval. I'm surprised I only had one broken trigger considering I built this version of the gravity puzzle in two days (about 10 hours total) with no one play testing it. I had another version that was a 3x3x3 cube that took me a majority of the month development time to finish, only to find out it was almost impossible for people to solve.

    I wanted to rotate the cube like campaignjunkie suggested to give people a sense of movement but had to resort to the arrow teleporting in UDK rather quickly. And for those who were able to read the story, I actually had dialog that I forgot to pack with the game with a funny british robot voice. I think I'm going to polish this a bit to see if I can get actual rotation going on, make it look pretty.

    I really enjoyed insta's "Decoy" and it reminded me of Machinarium's third level. Though I didn't play "Decoy", I could see how it would be difficult to solve if you didn't put everything together. And when you did figure it out, I enjoyed the way the solution punctuates the "a-ha" moment with a laugh for the feeling "did that just work?"

    Soleval's "The Door" was another favorite. I like the onion-like puzzle that, along with the art style, reminded me of playing Zelda. And while the puzzles got easier, they also got more physically demanding instead of mentally: you started with a puzzle that required a lot of thought, then one that required thought and then jumping, and then ended with a pure platformer.

    After those two, I enjoyed Campaignjunkie's "Secret Mission" due to the meta nature but wish it wasn't as buggy and Chimeray's "The Vault" for the way it turned the tables on the player but wish there were more hints (maybe the gun misfired into the toxins and one of the hydraulics sparks out).

    StuckAsNS: did anyone solve your puzzle? I sent you an email but haven't heard anything.

    Serenius, maybe this is what you were going for but I felt more frustrated that everything kept falling short of blowing that door up (and I so wanted that door to blow up). If this is what you intended, great job! It was awesome that Marcus Fenix, a badass locust fighter, couldn't open a door.

    Drokarn, I agree with the others that I needed something more. Maybe multiple keys with one right one and only one key can be active to open the door.

    Zoltan, I get it and I like the door bell. I think the only change is to move that metal door to ground level so the player can see the door open.

    vfig, I agree with campaignjunkie that a smaller level would have made this more fun. Otherwise it was a great idea.

    puddy, dialog really dragged for me and if the level's pace was a bit faster I think I would have really enjoyed the experience.

    Youme, I think I would have figured it out if I could have found the stick on the roof, but I did enjoy that getting in won't work unless you cut the power.

    Chopium, amazing visuals and sound, I only wish it was a little more difficult.

  • THE DOOR CHALLENGE: Submission Thread

    • bluedude86
    • May 19, 2011 at 8:51 PM

    Hi all,

    Figured I'd just use dropbox.

    Map is here: http://%7boption%7d

    I attached three images and vivi said he could possibly help me with the taking of the video.

    Let me know what you think.

    Video (Edit by KFS, posted by generalvivi):

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • THE DOOR CHALLENGE: Rules and Discussion

    • bluedude86
    • April 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM

    I've been having trouble loading the UDK version of The Door. I have downloaded and extracted the file but when I attempt to load the GC_TheDoor.udk via the UDK editor I receive a windows error. Is there something missing from the file?

    I have the April version of UDK. Let me know if you need anymore information and what that information is.

    Update: I re-downloaded April UDK and it works now. Must have been a missing file somewhere.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™