1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Strahan

Posts by Strahan

  • HL2 map designer needed

    • Strahan
    • August 29, 2007 at 2:55 AM
    Quote from Strahan

    but then this is just for personal amusement of me and friends who have been to this site so it's not really worth more than a grand or so to me.

    BTW I meant this site as in job site; i.e. the Cloister. Just realized that didn't sound quite right saying "this site" when I'm on a web site, could be confused hehe.

  • HL2 map designer needed

    • Strahan
    • August 29, 2007 at 2:54 AM

    Heh.. what I mean by "valve quality" is I don't want any flickering walls and stuff. $1000 would be great. I don't doubt that for the top notch pro quality it could run $5k as mentioned, but then this is just for personal amusement of me and friends who have been to this site so it's not really worth more than a grand or so to me.

    I gotta find a good map dev who's down on his/her luck and needs money, hehe. A good point is brought up about payment percentage; I was originally thinking to just send the full payment upon agreement but yea.. what if the person cuts and runs. I guess a contract could be made and signed, but then having never met the signor in person it could be any old scribble and not enforceable. Maybe requiring notarization.. ugh. Doing business on the internet is a PITA. It'd be nice if someone here lives in driving distance of Baltimore, that'd make it reeeal easy

    Well, I have to go over there this week and start some detailed mapping of the floors and making measurements. I've had one reply with interest so I need to start getting together my reference materials and taking texture photos. I probably won't want to actually have someone start the project until October. I want to gauge interest right now and get quotes. I'm having Qwest install a T1 next month so with install fees I can't fritter away money on a map in September (I only get paid 1x/month).

    Thanks for the replies.

  • HL2 map designer needed

    • Strahan
    • August 28, 2007 at 1:38 PM

    Wow. Well, that's not over the top but for that much I'd expect it to be of original-map-from-Valve quality and designed accurately. No stepping to close to corners and seeing white flashes, heh.

  • HL2 map designer needed

    • Strahan
    • August 27, 2007 at 4:52 AM

    Well, I've no idea what the ballpark would be for something like this so people who are interested should send me offers ([email protected]) along with links to levels they've created I can download to see quality. I'll want it to look like the real building, so there'll be a bunch of textures to make and stuff.

    As for map size, umm not sure how to equate it. I've never made a map, so I don't know what units they are measured in. I found a floorplan on the website for the building for the first floor so I made a very crude level layout: http://pics.nischan.com/default.asp?mod ... 915.181317

    I'd want basically the area outlined in the jpeg above. A little ways of forest to the north for outdoor fighting/sniping, then the castle itself has 4 levels to it. If someone takes the project, I'll be going back for detailed scale floorplans and site layout.

    So if anyone is interested, feel free to email me a bid.

  • HL2 map designer needed

    • Strahan
    • August 26, 2007 at 1:31 PM

    Yup. I'll pay for someone to make it, so long as it doesn't come out sucking heh. I looked at tutorials on making maps and it's beyond me. I'd rather pay and have an excellent looking map than muddle through the tuts and have a crappy one hehe.

  • HL2 map designer needed

    • Strahan
    • August 26, 2007 at 12:59 AM

    I went to a really cool building Friday and I was thinking it would be an awesome level for HL2. Problem is, I've no clue how to even start to make a level so I'm hoping to find a good map developer to make it for me. I'll supply scale floorplans and a website with a bunch of photos of the layout.

    The map is to be used with regular HL2 deathmatch. Nothing really special in the map, basic rooms with furniture and doors. There is a windmill outside, I'd like it to have working blades if possible. I don't wish to distribute the map commercially; however I will retain rights to distribute it freely as I desire to friends and such but the designer can resell it or do whatever with it.

    Interested devs please give me links to maps you've made that I can download and check out and a quote for cost and time to produce. Please email them to me directly at [email protected] as I may not remember to check this that often.

    Thanks!

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™