1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. clankill3r

Posts by clankill3r

  • I know how to balance de_nuke

    • clankill3r
    • March 1, 2015 at 1:06 PM

    The only thing I would do with nuke is moving all the spawn points a bit closer to the center of the map. This gives T's a bit more time to wait for smokes to clear etc..

  • Basic Node Based Pathfinding

    • clankill3r
    • February 17, 2015 at 9:26 PM

    What kind of game?

    What programming language do you have experience with?

    What programming experience do you have?

  • proceducal map generation

    • clankill3r
    • February 17, 2015 at 9:23 PM

    I'm really into algorithms and programming lately.

    Here I will drop the stuff related to map generation that I find interesting.

    Feel free to add other interesting pages/videos.

    This one is a bit long but quite interesting. It also has some good furture reading links.

    http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-pr…map-generation/

  • What I'm Working On

    • clankill3r
    • February 10, 2015 at 10:32 PM

    If you can't see those windows you might want to consider a doctor

  • Source engine, use models as buildings.

    • clankill3r
    • February 10, 2015 at 2:09 PM

    Thanks spence for the tf2 threat.

  • ITT: Post maps/scenes that never saw the light of the day.

    • clankill3r
    • February 7, 2015 at 11:13 AM

    Wish I had stilll my first maps.

  • [CS:GO]de_zoo

    • clankill3r
    • February 5, 2015 at 11:11 PM

    Haha that blood paint on the floor

    And I think no one will use those signs to figure out where the bomb spots are. It's an nice idea as a small detail but personally I would go for colors that match the subject. Like you did already halfway (water related blue etc).

  • Source engine, use models as buildings.

    • clankill3r
    • February 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM

    spence

    Where can I see about the tf2 thing? Like was there a news post regarding that?

  • Good engines for a city

    • clankill3r
    • February 5, 2015 at 11:01 PM

    Then you truly don't know the things I can move

  • Good engines for a city

    • clankill3r
    • February 5, 2015 at 8:12 AM
    Quote

    what are you really concerned with ?

    :

    Quote

    -occlusion ?


    With source I do. Since brushes don't support LOD I would go for models if I use source. But then I need to hide simple null brushes inside the models to deal with the occlusion I guess.


    Quote

    -distance lod ?

    Yup.


    Quote

    -streaming ?

    What do you mean?


    Quote

    -performance ?


    Yes, smooth movement is one of the main important things. Having a framerate of 60 or higher is a must for me.


    Quote

    -memory footprint ?


    Well this raises a question. Does source for example have a limit of models it can load?

    The last time i was active was on gold source and there was a entity limit of 512 by the map if I remember correct.


    Quote

    -dynamic lighting ?


    Not needed. I do like it but it's more a plus then a requirement.


    Quote

    -dynamic collision ... can i blow up a house ?!?

    Not needed, although I do like it. But from what I have seen I don't like current implementations of destruction.I can be wrong but from the videos I have seen the debris doesn't destruct. --- I only have experience with gold source. I mapped for source a little but hammer was full of bugs that I hated it.What I like about source is that most pc's can run it. On the other hand, if something is ambiguous then it can save so much time choosing the right engine at the start. I have no hurry at all. First I want to make a small prototype anyway to test the fun of the gameplay mechanics. About the maps in garry mod. They are really abstract.I might do a test with combining some different cs maps to see if it still compiles.

  • Good engines for a city

    • clankill3r
    • February 4, 2015 at 8:36 AM

    I'm not sure about the detail yet.

    I'm more a fan of good gameplay over graphics.

    But bad graphics are so hard to sell.

    Also it's more fun making something detailed.

  • Source engine, use models as buildings.

    • clankill3r
    • February 4, 2015 at 8:34 AM

    Ok enough

    Let's see what source2 has to offer. I'm not in a hurry anyway.

    I prefer source over cry engine since so many pc's are able to run it.

  • [CS:GO]de_zoo

    • clankill3r
    • February 4, 2015 at 8:30 AM

    Maybe you can use a condensed font. To make the signs a little smaller.


    Thanks for the match, I will watch it later.

  • Dreamworks / PDI Shutting Down Studio

    • clankill3r
    • February 3, 2015 at 11:48 PM

    The result of downloading torrents...

  • Sleep

    • clankill3r
    • February 3, 2015 at 11:43 PM

    They tested on rats how long they could go without sleep and after 3 weeks being awake they will die.

  • [CS:GO]de_zoo

    • clankill3r
    • February 3, 2015 at 11:20 PM

    No exit sign?

    How is the gameplay on this beauty?

  • Source engine, use models as buildings.

    • clankill3r
    • February 3, 2015 at 11:01 PM

    Is the source engine capable to use models as buildings where the buildings are walkable?

    And if so, how does this affect performance?

    And if it is posssible, are there any examples out there?

  • Good engines for a city

    • clankill3r
    • February 3, 2015 at 10:58 PM

    What are good engines for a city?

    Upcoming engines are also good.

    The crysis engine looks good for this. Anyone experience with it?

    Also, some might have used dota2 tools. I'm wondering could source 2 be a potential engine for a city? Bit early to say probably

    O yeah, for the size. It doesnt have to be insane huge. 3x3 times the size of dust2 will do.

    I'm more worried about performance when you can see pretty far and a lot of buildings as well. To make it even worse, most buildings should have access to the inside.

  • A* Pathfinding for Procedural Platformer Levels

    • clankill3r
    • February 3, 2015 at 3:52 PM

    It also depend on how perfect you want it.

    If it's just jumping up straight and going to the left/right at the last moment then things become a lot simpler.

  • A* Pathfinding for Procedural Platformer Levels

    • clankill3r
    • February 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM

    This is quite an interesting problem.

    I don't have time to look into it but I did some quick thinking.


    First, have you experience with A* PathFinding? I programmed myself A* Pathfinding that deals with the sales man problem for an iPhone app.

    I think a good start would be to start with just getting a A* algorithm to work cause that is just the basics.


    Also I think you will get much better answers if you ask on http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/ .


    1.

    This might be a start but I didn't think long for this problem! (weeks of programming can save hours of thinking).

    I only thought of the jumping problem.



    Find for every platform the left and the right end (see squares).

    Find other platforms (below) within the maximum jump range (see arcs).

    If it intersects with a platform below then the intersection might be a good start as a jumping point (purple).


    However, the idea above doesn't deal with a lot of situations.


    2.

    While writing above I got a new idea. The pathfinder should be aware of the acceleration, speed, direction etc.

    You have a certain amount of "fuel" for a jump, i call this 'J'.

    Let's say 'J' is 10 by default (meaning you could jump 10 units up).

    You allow access to access isolated white cells, as if it is a RTS game seen from above. However, accessing a white cell in the up direction decreases J. If J == 0 then you no longer can go up, so the next nodes to look for are down (gravity).


    While writing above:

    Instead of 'J' for jump it should be related to upwards acceleration. So on the start of a jump the acceleration in an upward direction get's added. (And some boolean canJump will be set to false until you hit the ground again).


    That's it for now. I might have more time in like a few weeks from now. I really love to solve those problems.

    It would be nice if it could also take time into consideration to deal with moving platforms.


    O yeah, about F = G + H. Last week I did a quick test where I reversed an array that had the best options for the next node sorted. By adding one line of code I had an algorithm that was almost taking the longest path possible

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™