1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. robert.briscoe

Posts by robert.briscoe

  • Dear Esther Getting Commercial Release

    • robert.briscoe
    • January 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM

  • Dear Esther Getting Commercial Release

    • robert.briscoe
    • December 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    Quote from dux

    I'm not really getting what it is. You just walk around looking at stuff or what?

    It's really something better off experiencing for yourself, but if I have to put some kind of label on it then it could probably be described as a story driven, first-person exploration game... go try the old mod if you're unsure, or other similar games like the Stanley Parable or Radiator.

  • Dear Esther Getting Commercial Release

    • robert.briscoe
    • December 15, 2011 at 9:00 PM

    not really...

  • Dear Esther Getting Commercial Release

    • robert.briscoe
    • December 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    Quote from dissonance

    if i'm not sure about a game and can't find a demo, i'll fire up a Let's Play or two to check it out.

    yeah, nothing wrong with that imo

  • Dear Esther Getting Commercial Release

    • robert.briscoe
    • December 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM

    Valid question Skjalg,

    Overall I'm not too bothered - there has been a ton of work put into making every play through unique: every new game randomly generates different things to find in the environment, VO's, Music, scripted events etc. so what you see on a youtube video may only be half of the experience. I also think by simply watching a YouTube video you miss out on a certain level of immersion and participation and it becomes a very impersonal experience. If anything i'd hope that it would actually encourage people who hadn't yet played the game to go off and experience it for themselves. Kinda like how everyone has there own cool/funny stories of their adventures in Skyrim i'd like people to have their own interpretations of DE's story, their experiences in the game and what they got out of it.

    Besides, I think that someone who is content to simply just watch playthrough is not really going to have much interest in playing this type of game anyway, so I don't think we'd be missing out on a potential customer in that regards.

  • Dear Esther Getting Commercial Release

    • robert.briscoe
    • December 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM

    Thanks guys

    Preorders will start soon, I just need to get my arse in gear and make a nice trailer first!

  • Dear Esther Getting Commercial Release

    • robert.briscoe
    • November 24, 2011 at 12:43 PM

    So Dear Esther hit Beta recently and I thought i'd mark the occasion by releasing some of the first screen shots of DE running in the new and improved engine:

    [Blocked Image: http://dear-esther.com/wp-content/upl…11/paul0137.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://dear-esther.com/wp-content/upl…/esther0100.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://dear-esther.com/wp-content/upl…akobson0065.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://dear-esther.com/wp-content/upl…akobson0068.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://dear-esther.com/wp-content/upl…11/paul0116.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.dear-esther.com/images/jakobson0052.jpg]

    Also an except from the new soundtrack can be heard here: http://www.dear-esther.com/DEostExcerpt.mp3

    For more info visit the Official Dear Esther Website: http://dear-esther.com

  • Syndicate

    • robert.briscoe
    • September 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    Quote

    Chip Enhanced Gameplay: Slow down time, see through walls, and breach your enemy and everything digital in the world with Dart vision – A neural DART6 chip implant that allows you to interface directly with the Dataverse

    Quote

    Visceral FPS Experience: Utilize an upgradable arsenal of futuristic weapons, armor and gear to annihilate your enemies and harvest their chip technology for personal advancement and sinister corporate greed,” “Sci-Fi Fiction: Immerse yourself in the world of Syndicate 2069, with a world-class sci-fi story experience, written by bestselling author Richard Morgan.”

    CREATIVITY!

    ..and SciFi Fiction

  • shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!

    • robert.briscoe
    • August 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM

    Thanks guys!

  • --> Low Budget Sci-Fi "GEMS" !!! <--

    • robert.briscoe
    • August 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM

    One of the best 'Melt' Movies from the 90's

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • Whatever happened to Insurgency Mod

    • robert.briscoe
    • July 26, 2011 at 9:41 AM

    Congrats on getting a Source license, (I know it aint easy!) it's awesome to see another Indie Source Engine game on the scene!

  • ULTIMATE CHALLENGE: Design the MapCore logo — new deadline!

    • robert.briscoe
    • July 14, 2011 at 5:26 PM

    [Blocked Image: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6026/5937472280_a806397265_z.jpg]

    Images

    • mapcore_logo_2011.webp
      • 23.25 kB
      • 730 × 477
  • SVN Hosting

    • robert.briscoe
    • June 30, 2011 at 1:33 PM

    It's not for a personal project though...

  • SVN Hosting

    • robert.briscoe
    • June 30, 2011 at 12:14 PM

    I chose SVN mostly because im already familiar with it and it's fairly user friendly. I've not heard of GitHub before but I'll certainly take a look at it, thanks!

  • SVN Hosting

    • robert.briscoe
    • June 30, 2011 at 10:28 AM

    Hi Guys,

    So I'm looking into getting a SVN server going for my project, but im a bit overwhelmed with the amount of hosting services available. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or experience with this sort of thing?

    Thanks

  • Dear Esther Getting Commercial Release

    • robert.briscoe
    • June 4, 2011 at 8:47 PM

    Haha I hope so! Exciting and scary times ahead, cant wait to get it released finally

  • Duke Nukem Forever

    • robert.briscoe
    • June 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM

    Im surprised you guys expected anything less. Everything I've seen and heard about this game over the past year has been pretty damn awful

  • What was the very first game you remember playing?

    • robert.briscoe
    • May 18, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    Quote from Gloglebag

    [Blocked Image: http://exophase.com/images/misc/double-dragon-2.png]

    This and

    [Blocked Image: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/535/186981-sky_kid_1_super.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.24x7gamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/BubbleBobbleAction1.png]

    [Blocked Image: http://www.fraserking.co.uk/arcade/screenshots/pac-land-1.png]

  • ITT: Post maps/scenes that never saw the light of the day.

    • robert.briscoe
    • April 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    Quote from Buddy

    [Blocked Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/6hm2v6.jpg]I worked on that even before the Aliens (sfam) scene we did with helder and lee. Never finished. (before d3ads rage, trees and the truck were stalker placeholders)

    Still looks awesome!!

  • My first industry job + questions!

    • robert.briscoe
    • April 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

    Luxury! when I started work at Dice I had to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof. Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to me, and when I was evicted from my hole in the ground I had to go and live in a lake. I was lucky to have a lake! Before thatthere were a hundred and fifty of us living in a shoebox in the middle of road. Still, luxury compared to when I lived with my family; we lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

    And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™