1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. robert.briscoe

Posts by robert.briscoe

  • GDC 2013

    • robert.briscoe
    • March 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM

    GDC not far away now, do we have an official Mapcore meeting time/place yet?

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • robert.briscoe
    • March 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM

    Thanks! The sky is just a standard UDK one atm, have just been focusing on the foliage and terrain textures at this point

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • robert.briscoe
    • March 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

    Experimenting with a hand-painted art style in UDK without post processing or fancy shaders:

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/JjPQNaD.jpg]

    [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/kiwtCLt.jpg]

    Still got a long way to go, but it's certainly fun to do something non-realistic for a change.

    Only thing i'm struggling with atm is finding a convincing watercolour brush/technique in PS to paint my textures with.

  • CS_MUSEUM

    • robert.briscoe
    • February 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM

    looks awesome fmpone!

  • GDC 2013

    • robert.briscoe
    • February 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM

    Btw does anyone know any good parties yet? I missed most of them last year! What's the Wed night indie party?

  • CS:GO - LODs disabled?

    • robert.briscoe
    • February 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM

    Let me know your findings, I tried this on a model with some glaring differences between LODs and noticed no change in the model

  • Aliens: Colonial Marines - WTF Happened!?!

    • robert.briscoe
    • February 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

    Exactly as expected: horrible dialog + story + AI + every marine cliche in the book. Sad.

  • CS:GO - LODs disabled?

    • robert.briscoe
    • February 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    Quote from seir

    Check your graphics options. Maybe you have a nice video card so the settings switched up to best quality (than can turn off LODS to make graphics more "l33t"). Try running a game on low details. I haven't played CS:GO so it's only a blind man's idea

    That was my thought too last night, no dice though, LODs dont seem to work even with everything set to low for me...grr!

  • GDC 2013

    • robert.briscoe
    • February 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM

    I will be there, this time just as a visitor (thankfully!) I missed the Mapcore meeting last year but will def not do so again! I'll be there from the 25-30th!

    Big Philly you better be there this year!

  • CS:GO - LODs disabled?

    • robert.briscoe
    • February 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM

    Yeah I can imagine it doesn't really affect anything if you're just making an urban non-organic level, but where de_forest is concerned it's an absolute must.

    I will see if I can get in touch with someone at Valve, but I don't think they're going to really give too much of a shit if nobody has noticed it after all this time

  • CS:GO - LODs disabled?

    • robert.briscoe
    • February 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM

    Hey all, so I'm trying again (for the third time!) to port de_forest over to CS:GO and so far it's been going much smoother and I've decided to remake some of the models and textures to bring some of the visuals up-to-date, however I've run into a strange issue which I hadn't noticed until this evening, which is that, for some reason, CS:GO doesn't seem to make use of LODs at all. I can see my models' LODs changing in Hammer, but for some reason they just don't show in-game, showing only the highest LOD instead.

    At first I thought it might be related to the way I compiled my models, but on further inspection I noticed the same thing happens with Valve's own props too. I took a tree model Valve created, checked in in hammer to see if there were LODs, which there were (Model Viewer incidentally doesn't come with the CS:GO sdk...doh!) and again, it only showed the highest LOD in-game!

    I thought it might be related to my graphics settings being too high but after turning everything to low I can see that this is not the case.

    Can anyone else confirm that this is the case for them also, or if anyone knows how to get LODs working? I know there are a few people on here with a bit more experience with CS:GO and its SDK than I so thought I'd post this here.

    Thanks in advance!

  • Aliens: Colonial Marines - WTF Happened!?!

    • robert.briscoe
    • January 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM

    how to make a shit trailer:

    Horrid dialog + shitty action shots + dubstep =

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • Farcry 3

    • robert.briscoe
    • December 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    Quote from Zarsky

    You always respawn at the nearest disabled radio tower or cleared outpost.

    But does this make sense to you? why not just let me reload in the same damn location that I left off? I just wanted to explore and do some crafting, search for loot etc. In my case, when I reloaded, it transported me right back to the other end of the map where i'd done the first tower tutorial an hour earlier! I mean... is this now acceptable in modern gaming?!

    I struggled with Skyrim when it first came out, but the world in which it took place was so captivating that it kept drawing me back despite its flaws, and at least I could save my game regardless of being in a mission, capturing a stupid tower etc. This however so far has offered me nothing, I can't explore and be absorbed in the world due to all of these weird rules the game keeps imposing on me. It's like it doesn't want to be an open world game at all, with odd linear FPS rules thrown about all over the place.

    Oh and UPlay....damn.

  • Aliens: Colonial Marines - WTF Happened!?!

    • robert.briscoe
    • December 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM

    The voice acting and dialogue is just so awful, it sounds like they paid some local Starbucks employees to spout a bunch of random aliens related buzzwords. I can just see Pitchford behind scenes saying "DUDE! Xenos, Sulaco and Hicks! WOAH AWESOME!"

  • Farcry 3

    • robert.briscoe
    • December 29, 2012 at 9:18 PM

    Just forked out for this and as much as I try to fall in love with it, it just keep kicking me in the balls. The menu system is confusing and crafting is awkward as fuck, and do I REALLY need to make a wallet in order to carry money?! I also don't like the whole "DANGER! YOU ARE LEAVING THE MISSION AREA! BS" This game is not BF3, it is an open world game...!

    The final straw this evening was the save system; I just spent 30 mins exploring the map, saved and quit to make a call, then upon reloading, am put in some completely random location nowhere near where where I was when I saved! I mean, what the fuck is that about?! How can ubi get something like this so wrong??

  • Aliens: Colonial Marines - WTF Happened!?!

    • robert.briscoe
    • December 27, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    Quote from Puddy

    wow, that trailer was so bad

    Agreed.

  • Steam Holiday Sale Discussion and Recommendations!

    • robert.briscoe
    • December 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM

    Der is a sh1t gaem on der call DERE ESTER which is shit an about walkin an nofin happen. Anyway it 50% off go bye it!1

  • CGTextures hits 80.000th texture!

    • robert.briscoe
    • November 15, 2012 at 2:17 PM

    Grats mate! Good job!

    I'm looking forward to seeing the new design too

  • Cloud Atlas

    • robert.briscoe
    • October 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

    I still have no idea what this movie is all about, can someone explain?

  • What ever happened to the Unearthly competition?

    • robert.briscoe
    • October 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    Quote from Minos

    Apparently the guy who ran the contest got involved in an internet scandal and just gave everything up

    That's interesting, I didn't know anything about that, it would certainly explain a few things. Last I heard he was just 'too busy' to organise it.

    I also remember hearing a rumour about Polycount taking over too, not sure what happened to that.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™