1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Cirian

Posts by Cirian

  • The Hows And Whys of Level Design - Released!

    • Cirian
    • January 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM

    Well, the book arrived and I've just finished reading it. I've got around 10 years experience, 7 of them as a professional, and I found it excellent! Very very useful for intermediate-to-veteran level designers to clarify the whole process of level design into a well organised, structured process.

    I'm mainly self-taught and learned through reading around, experimenting and getting tutorials from people I know, so I have this whole jumbled mass of experience and knowledge. It was nice to be able to see it all written down in an organised way that made sense and was stimulating, because when I talk about level design myself it's usually just a discussion about a particular facet. Level design is so broad that although I have very comprehensive knowledge myself, it can be hard to pass it on. Now I own a good book that I can point people to

    I think the areas of the book that I strongly agree with from experience and would like to re-iterate are the importance of thorough planning, the importance of balance and harmony between all the elements, and the most important thing of all - for the final product to be lots of fun to play!

    I definately recommend checking it out

  • How many years have you been involved in mapcore?

    • Cirian
    • December 12, 2006 at 3:13 PM

    I got introduced to mapcore a few months ago, but I've been mapping since I got into Duke Nukem 3D

    Ack, that was 9 or 10 years ago!

    Still having fun tho'!

  • mapcore.net almost ready to open it's doors

    • Cirian
    • December 12, 2006 at 2:59 PM

    Looking good

    A friend at a sister studio showed me this site and I'm really impressed with the community here. I've got sooo much reading to do! (and finally some time to do it )

    And I just love looking at the mapping projects... It's sparking an itch to do my own little side project because work is being slow at the moment - I hate downtime!

  • Where do you live?

    • Cirian
    • December 12, 2006 at 2:45 PM

    I'm in England, although I wouldn't mind seeing more of the world... I've been thinking about Washington State (around Seattle), but I know a lot of people who've moved to Canada recently

  • The Hows And Whys of Level Design - Released!

    • Cirian
    • December 12, 2006 at 1:17 PM

    Just purchased it too

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™