1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Cybbe

Posts by Cybbe

  • Reality check in games journalism - a short essay

    • Cybbe
    • December 4, 2007 at 6:19 PM

    Sources?

  • Reality check in games journalism - a short essay

    • Cybbe
    • December 3, 2007 at 7:29 PM
    Quote from Steppenwolf

    Actualy there is nothing new about this topic. Hell more then a decade ago many print magazines already had a bad reputation for favouring certain companys/publishers and giving often ridiculous high scores to mediocre and bugged as fuck games. Now it has arrived to the internet. Doesn't surprise me at all. It's capitalism and these things happen.Personaly i trust opinions on forums or impressions from demos a lot more then any game test. This is why demos are so important. games can have the best scores i dont care about them if they dont come with a demo. There is always something fishy going on about "top games" without a demo.

    Like how the nintendo magazine would always 10/10 nintendo published games ;D

  • Activision + Blizzard = divide by zero

    • Cybbe
    • December 3, 2007 at 7:29 PM
    Quote from PogoP

    I propose... ACTIZARD!Or... Blizzavision!

    Sounds like some sort of pokémon.

    Then again... Their current name isn't much better

  • Reality check in games journalism - a short essay

    • Cybbe
    • December 3, 2007 at 7:22 PM

    Well played, Frie

    Congratulations with your 3000, and I must say, that I can't help but agree, though I fear that the people reading the reviews might not be able to see this coming, and will just keep on further endorsing the corporate control over how games are publically perceived. People are gullible, and the reviews can be very convincing, and it really does threaten credibility everywhere. At this moment, I don't know how much of an impact it'll have on GameSpot, but despite all this outrage, I don't think it'll do much. I'd probably be willing to bet that they'll recover and (re)build a (new) base of readers, either unaware of the transpired events, or unaffected by them.

    Then again.. Word of mouth can have a huge effect. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what transpires in the next month or so. Maybe they'll even put out a pretty statement.

  • The elephant in the room - Kane & Lynch reviews :D

    • Cybbe
    • December 3, 2007 at 12:46 AM

    Well, honestly, I don't trust reviews because I know my tastes aren't fit for reviews. I'll play games with broken game mechanics if the story is good.

    But the fact that this guy actually manages to slam his balls on the table to at least provide some sort of feeling of how well-constructed the game/item is, is a huge step up from most other things I've read. And of course every review site are under the influence of their paycheck. That's why 8 is actually considered a semi bad grade around reviews. Because after all this time of gloryfying stuff, people are just expecting 9 and above for good games.

    I must admit, that I do not vigilantly read every review out there. I've read a few here and there on the things that piqued my temporary interest, but the ones I've seen with Gerstmann have been, though hardly objective, at least somewhat analytical in their execution. This compared to a bunch of other reviews just plaqueing the walls with fancy buzzwords that hold no general meaning, and after you read your 9.9/10 review, you feel like someone shat in your hand and told you it was liquid gold.

    But at least we still have Zero Punctuation for some bashing..

    Oh, and excuse my ignorance. What is THPS3?

  • The elephant in the room - Kane & Lynch reviews :D

    • Cybbe
    • December 1, 2007 at 9:21 PM
    Quote from Taylor

    Gerstmann was famous for actually being a good, unbiased reviewer, handing out fair grades for everything - successfully pointing out flaws and strokes of genious in mechanics of games and hardware alike. Not being afraid of the fanboys, he valiantly assumed the role of being the one honest person you could actually trust to make a review that was at least in-depth, well-thought, and had viable arguments pro and contra. Him being fired is a great loss to the future of reviews, and I fear that the example set will only serve to further cave in reviewers to give amazing scores to shitty games in fear of losing their job.

    Fixed.

    -Edit-

    Oh, btw. I haven't played Kane and Lynch, so I have nothing to say about that particular game so far.

  • Mass Effect

    • Cybbe
    • December 1, 2007 at 9:14 PM

    This is the game I've been expecting the most this year, I think.

    But then again, I'm a huge KoTOR/Jade Empire fan, so I'm right in that alley anyway :x

    Played the Obsidian games as well. Loved KoTOR 2 and NWN2, though I never got the time to beat NWN2 yet. Can't wait to crack open that expansion

    I've played both KoTOR and KoTOR 2 multiple times, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't go dark side on either of them. Same thing with NWN 2 and Jade Empire :/

    I'll be getting Mass Effect in January.. AFTER my exams in December... ._.

  • mapCon: phase 2

    • Cybbe
    • December 1, 2007 at 9:02 PM

    Oh. Just noticed now that stuff had actually been decided. Lemme just check some stuff with the dates and I'll be writing pm in no time!

  • Favorite bands

    • Cybbe
    • November 28, 2007 at 10:37 PM
    Quote from clayman

    External Content youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

    Yeah, that is some of their new stuff. It's a bit more rock/metalish than they usually are. But it's actually pretty nice. Played it at both concerts I went to with them in Denmark Really, really nice band ;D Though I prefer some of their older stuff. The album "Stupid Dream" or "In Absentia" or something along the lines of that.

    But they fucking rock And they have some videos running on a screen behind them at concerts. Some really nice stuff there sometimes, that brings the best out of the music sometimes, and creates a lot of interesting connections

  • Favorite bands

    • Cybbe
    • November 28, 2007 at 8:16 PM
    Quote from Nexus

    I do not have any simply because; I can create music for myself...

    Isn't that kinda contradictory to your avatar?

    Also, isn't it kinda lame to be listening to your own music? :x

    And even as a composer, you'd think inspiration would also be drawn at least a little, from somewhere else?

  • Favorite bands

    • Cybbe
    • November 28, 2007 at 4:10 PM

    Anathema

    Antimatter

    Arcturus

    Belphegor

    Boards of Canada

    Borknagar

    Burzum

    Cream

    Death

    Draconian

    Forgotten Tomb

    Goldlog

    Green Carnation

    Immolation

    Immortal

    In the Woods...

    Jimi Hendrix

    Judas Priest

    Kidney Thieves

    Leonard Cohen

    Mourning Beloveth

    My Dying Bride

    Opeth

    Porcupine Tree

    Portishead

    Splashdown

    Supertramp

    Ulver

    ....Pretty much what I've been listening to for the past month or two.

  • Good places in London

    • Cybbe
    • November 16, 2007 at 7:38 PM

    I enjoyed strolling from Leicester Square to Picadilly Circus...And back. Lots of stuff there. They even have a chinatown kind of thing

  • Gaming Questionnaire

    • Cybbe
    • November 16, 2007 at 7:33 PM

    I did them all. Some of them were a bit hard though. The entire "how many hours do you do x a day" really varies, depending on what you feel like doing, what day it is, what your school schedules look like etc. And sometimes, you need to abandon your social life completely for homework :X

    Really nicely done though. A good survey

  • why I hate physical media

    • Cybbe
    • November 16, 2007 at 7:28 PM

    What I don't like about steam, is being dependant on steam to be able to play your games. Even on the games that have non-steam counterparts. It's silly. And it often means you can't play it when the steam servers are down :/

  • mapCon: phase 2

    • Cybbe
    • November 16, 2007 at 7:23 PM

    Agreed.

    I already have maccies phone number !

  • why I hate physical media

    • Cybbe
    • November 16, 2007 at 1:18 AM

    You know, I feel for you and everything. And damn, that's tough :/

    But it isn't exactly news. They even state in the xbox 360 manual that you're not supposed to move the xbox in any way while a disc is inside the tray, since it might damage the disc.

    This is in my manual anyway.. And I still have my first batch xbox360. However, I have an european version, and I don't know if tha tdiffers from the american first batch.

    There was however also a big fuss about it when the box got released because people kept scratching their discs.

    However...

    I don't see how it can fuck it up that bad by just moving it so little as you did. You must have gotten really unlucky, I'm afraid While they do mention it, off the top of my head, I think they're talking about more than minor movements. I have myself moved my box around(horizontally) while the disc was spinning with no issues. I think their mention is more involving vertical movement, such as lifting the xbox to a stand.

    Damn Hope things work out for you.

  • mapCon: phase 2

    • Cybbe
    • November 12, 2007 at 5:46 PM

    omg yes I must meet d3

  • mapCon: phase 2

    • Cybbe
    • November 11, 2007 at 9:16 PM

    You managed to pick three dates where I'm at work Nice.

    But now I at least have enough time to cancel. Looking forward to see all of you.

    You too, Sentura. I know you're a great guy IRL

  • Duke Nukem Forever

    • Cybbe
    • November 11, 2007 at 12:41 AM

    So many developers getting... wasted.

    Seriously though. Are people still actually hoping for DNF to hit the shelves? I'm pretty sure that if it ever comes out, it'll disappoint majorly :/

  • Post your desktop 2007!~

    • Cybbe
    • October 29, 2007 at 10:55 PM

    Ouch ;D

    Well, at any rate, I'm not the one who's unhappy about his boner ;P Go figure

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™