1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. ifO

Posts by ifO

  • ts_constryard - The Specialists

    • ifO
    • June 30, 2007 at 5:02 PM

    I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing. It's pretty poor, even for hl1, needs a lot of work.

  • [WIP] zs_merge

    • ifO
    • June 28, 2007 at 2:59 PM

    Pretty nice but angled railings = lose like that. The vertical bits should be vertical.

  • The Specialists 3.0 (FINAL) released~

    • ifO
    • June 28, 2007 at 12:42 PM

    Played some TS 3 yesterday, much fun!

  • hitman movie trailer

    • ifO
    • June 26, 2007 at 1:10 PM

    Looks kinda equilibrium-like which I guess is a good thing.

    Don't wanna get too optimistic about a game movie tho... so yeh it'll probably suck

  • The Specialists 3.0 (FINAL) released~

    • ifO
    • June 26, 2007 at 1:03 AM

    Small mods can't really afford to be ruthless and cut out maps that many of the community love. 1 man's hated map is another man's favourite. I actually like metro, regardless of how shit it looks it plays quite well.

    Schmung's maps look like shit but are designed for TS so they have nice big spaces and lots of stuntability whereas other sexier maps like 3d_mike's really aren't suited to TS in terms of gameplay.

    Looking forward to giving this new ver a spin.

  • Player model, test

    • ifO
    • June 25, 2007 at 7:31 PM

    Sexy, but will low poly + normal actually look like that in source?

  • Quake Wars Beta Released!

    • ifO
    • June 21, 2007 at 3:00 PM

    Cheers thrik yeah that really does look very un-Quake-like.

    And two thumbs up for the tribes influence

  • Quake Wars Beta Released!

    • ifO
    • June 21, 2007 at 12:22 PM

    Any screenshots?

    Srsly though the quake universe never did anything for me. Boring plot, gloomy boring maps, boring stupid space monsters, boring stupid space guns. And I thought q3 arena was the most boring-ass repetitive deathmatch action I have ever experienced.

    But I'm open-minded so maybe this one will be more fun... so yeah screens plz!

  • Quake Wars Beta Released!

    • ifO
    • June 20, 2007 at 10:36 PM

    Why? Quake sucks!

  • unfold3d

    • ifO
    • June 17, 2007 at 2:49 PM

    Nooba that looks good but I still don't see the point of pelting, it seems inferior to a direct 'AutoUV' approach. Why should I need to do all that rotational crap manually when an algorithm can figure out the optimal edge lengths straight away...

    I'm still not content with Unfold3d and determined to find something for Maya that can at least equal Wings3D's AutoUV. Still not really succeeded but here's a couple of nice things:

    Headus

    Another nice AutoUV app. Looks pretty powerful.

    http://www.uvlayout.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=38

    Quick video (more on that page):

    http://www.headus.com/au/doc/uvlayout-d ... a-v1.1.mov

    FG AutoUV Maya Plugin

    The closest thing I've found to an AutoUV implementation in a Maya plugin.

    Available now for Maya 7.0 as part of a pack (see the bottom of this page): http://coyhot.free.fr/plug_ins.htm

    Videos:

    - AutoUV Unwrap Ear

    - AutoUV Unwrap Spawn (character model)

  • Portfolio feedback

    • ifO
    • June 15, 2007 at 2:23 AM

    Really impressive portfolio. I played The Ship over the last free weekend and especially enjoyed the maps

    ---

    Btw using Open Office is a pretty unnecessary way to make pdfs (mainly because it means you come into contact with open office, yuck).

    You can 'print to pdf' from any standard application (word/excel/photoshop/anything...) by using an application like PrimoPDF (which I recommend).

    file > print > select PrimoPDF as printer > print

  • Flipside : HL2 mod

    • ifO
    • June 13, 2007 at 12:31 PM

    It's... it's wonderful.

    Shame it's only a platformer, I hope this is extended to involve a bit more.

  • id's new game / engine

    • ifO
    • June 12, 2007 at 12:54 PM
    Quote

    "[Artists and developers] can go in and look at the world and, say, change the color of the mountaintop, or carve their name into the rock," said Carmack (thanks Engadget). "They can change as much as they want on surfaces with no impact on the game."

    They really didn't explain that well... what are they trying to say here? What is there in this that we can't do already?

    It sounds like another "now with dynamic weapon switching".

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • ifO
    • June 12, 2007 at 2:00 AM

    sharpen? but looks pretty nice!

  • Hitler's live account banned

    • ifO
    • June 9, 2007 at 2:29 PM

    Waay too nerdy.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • ifO
    • June 9, 2007 at 2:02 PM

    Hate to be a ball-breaker but if you're making a CS custom map with lots of custom content (which therefore no-one is going to play) does game balance really matter?

    I really don't get why people waste their time making sexy custom maps for DoD or CS unless it's just for their folios. Where is the satisfaction in having your map never played.. or if played at all only by about 5 people..? :S

    Why not find a worthy mod team and make the map for that?

  • unfold3d

    • ifO
    • June 8, 2007 at 10:02 AM

    Unwrap 3D you have to pay for, I believe it has a trial you can try out last time I checked. I used to use it when it was lithunwrap and it was very basic but I believe it's had a ton of features added. Still I doubt it's worth buying...

    Unfold3D seems very slow and crashes a lot. I would maybe avoid it for the time-being until they get a solid release out.

    Uvlayout I've not tried or heard of.

    I'm personally looking for a Maya script that does it in this same ('mark cuts' > 'unfold') approach? Using all these separate apps seems like a sucky workflow.

  • unfold3d

    • ifO
    • June 7, 2007 at 11:38 PM

    Yeah from what I saw the techniques are similar, but pelt mapping is like rotationally expanding the uv in stages or something, instead of just doing it optimally automatically?

  • unfold3d

    • ifO
    • June 7, 2007 at 8:13 PM

    Yeah they are all based on the same technique from a Siggraph paper in 2002. I still wonder why this is not THE default way to unwrap in max and maya?

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • ifO
    • June 7, 2007 at 2:41 PM

    I'm not sure I'm confortable with your new Av Rick, is that your arse there?

    I didn't come to mapcore to see man arse.

    I agree on your points on the layout though. It mostly seems well thought out and it's good to see someone plan their layouts in this way. I know I never do

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™