1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. tofu

Posts by tofu

  • Best mods you ever played?

    • tofu
    • December 2, 2008 at 8:23 AM
    Quote from m8nkey

    Insurgency is the only HL2 mod I know of with populated servers in Australia.I've never had a decent game of Dystopia due to lack of servers but I'd like to. Same with FoF, it just keeps getting better and better but there's no damn servers here.

    All too common in Aus, even custom map servers for games are a rarity. Damn I can't wait to get back to Europe!

  • Best mods you ever played?

    • tofu
    • December 1, 2008 at 3:14 PM

    Action Quake II and later Action HL were huge for me back in the day, loved them. Science and Industry was fun as well, but it was never popular enough in Australia at the time, to garner a decent server or two..

    Neil Manke's They Hunger and Darkstar were highlights too

  • Relic studio tour and interview! (Awesome)

    • tofu
    • November 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM
    Quote from n8braker

    looks interesting, but its quite sad it switches to the banjo kazooie website a few times DURING play :comeback:

    Looks like you were clickin to the left or right of the main content, the whole background is hyperlinked to B&K

    Video itself was interesting, I like the sound of their nights out ;P

  • Editor tools what to learn next?

    • tofu
    • November 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM

    If you're going for a standard LD position then I'd want to see how concentrated your gameplay designs are over what or how many toolsets you feel you're competent in. Candidates would learn fast inside the studio, surrounded by others who know the tech. If you've learned one already - you've shown you have the capacity to understand the technical aspects to creating your work.

    I'd rather see a small SP level done in Gears of War than seeing your resume stating that you know Unreal and Hammer/SE, but don't have a solid gameplay demo available.

  • Kings Bounty, anyone hooked?

    • tofu
    • November 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM

    I first heard about if via this rock paper shotty article and decided to check it out... now I think I've clocked around 18 hours this weekend - how productive ;P

    I'm finding it a bit like Sids Pirates! simple but addictive and given I've never been a huge fan of RPG's that require mass amounts of investment, this one seems to fit quite well for me.

    Anyone else checked it out? Going by their website, looks like they might be planning to release tools for it too, at some stage.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • tofu
    • November 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM

    Yes, it's overly bright snow, a bit too realistic as it's burning the playtesters eyes in numerous occasions!

    The level starts off as standard alpine and climbs up and into a snowy mountain top to Red's "Fort Knox", from each individual round there are numerous areas where you'll see parts of the previous/next round, so players will have a good sense of progression. There's even an ice cavern, but I'm having some trouble finalising that one (visually). If there happens to be any keen texture artists reading this who'd be up for a challenge - I wouldn't mind having a chat! It's a 3 round PL map with around 40-50hrs playtesting already under its belt.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • tofu
    • November 30, 2008 at 7:29 AM

    Nice work insta, that's looking awesome!

    Here's a shot from my upcoming payload map, Great Heights:

    [Blocked Image: http://triggerthis.net/screens_alpha/plgh_03.jpg]

  • DeadB4Xmas

    • tofu
    • November 27, 2008 at 7:10 AM

    Cool idea Likely to be very popular even after Christmas, assuming you don't include any christmas carol ambient sounds ;P

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • tofu
    • November 27, 2008 at 6:36 AM

    I'd be keen to hire anyone who's done anything in any engine - as anyone who's been in the industry for a while should know, it's not that difficult to learn new engines when you're forced to use them 8hrs a day It's also beneficial to know more than one engine as it can open your eyes to different pipelines and future tech requests for your own toolset.

    I still use Hammer as it makes me nostalgic - I get kinda tired of working on open world environments, placing prefabbed buildings or in UE where your BSP work is purely for optimisation methods. Different strokes for different folks The clumsiness of hammer, at times, makes me feel like I've achieved more when the day is over ;P

  • Night Terror Alpha

    • tofu
    • November 11, 2008 at 6:33 AM

    I'm a newb when it comes to installing custom SP levels, where do we extract it? (good info to place in your readme)

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • tofu
    • October 26, 2008 at 11:58 PM

    I like #1 and #4, I think the rafter in #3 looks a bit bizarre going into that curved wall

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • tofu
    • October 26, 2008 at 12:07 PM
    Quote from freakadelle

    Hey I didnt say blabla

    Quote from omega322

    My apologies for not sitting at your level in mapping ifO, but hey all of use where new at one point, you guys way before me, I'm still a novice at mapping attempting to improve myself, rather then act like an ass and telling me to stop posting why not tell me what to do to improve? [Blocked Image: https://migrationtest.mapcore.org/public/style_emoticons/default/mapcore_smilies/emot_shakehead.gif]

    I completely missed ifO's reply, but good response! That was a bit dick of him.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • tofu
    • October 26, 2008 at 7:50 AM
    Quote from freakadelle

    They have the rights for the Cryengine1 (FarCry Edition). Do you really think Dunia was made from scratch? e: I've even read in an Interview that there are still some parts of the old engine. Don't know to what extend but I agree: We better consider it as a new engine

    I worked on the game, and whilst we all know publishers and devs and spin some propaganda to hype up the interested in their product, it's pretty fair to say that the engine was developed from scratch. I don't think anyone but the engineers themselves could comment on whether there are or aren't features left over, and I'd think it would be a bit ignorant to think everything is shiny and new. However, the engineering team on the project was solid and lead by some incredibly talented folks. You have to consider that FC2 required many new features as it's not for old gen, it's seamless, streaming, open world and that it's also for console. All three require quite a fair amount of restructuring, thus, easier to start from scratch. In the bigger picture, when you've started an engine from scratch - at the end of it you have something that's viable for many projects in the future and the engine and tools support team are in house. In some cases it's sometimes cheaper to do as well, over licensing an already existing engine (or utilising one of your own other engines).

    Also, Ubi is renown for chopping and changing massive chunks of an engine. The UE3 used for Rainbow Vegas is completely different to the UE3 you'd have from a smaller dev team, but those changes pale in comparison to their old UE2 stuff. They have the man power and can afford to make such drastic changes/decisions.

    Edit: Upon rereading, hope it doesn't sound too serious ;P Just wanted to shed some light on the topic

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • tofu
    • October 23, 2008 at 4:26 PM

    Nice work Nurb! I thought the first three were UE engine

  • DM-Grand-Diablo_Beta3 Mega Update !!!! image heavy

    • tofu
    • October 1, 2008 at 4:21 AM

    Nice job! I think the lighting falls down on the last 3 shots and I agree with Dux that the red is too over powered. I'd like to see more of an ambient environment. In your 3rd last screenshot, there's a central light placed there, causing the pillar shadows to beam outwards - but the candles aren't adding to any of that at all (shadows or light source).

    In regards to Marc Simoneti - there's a linkedin profile hereand some facebook results come up if you search for him (the one located in France could be him?)

  • Competition: Escape!

    • tofu
    • September 25, 2008 at 3:16 AM

    Yeah I'd like to see another 1024

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • tofu
    • September 17, 2008 at 4:21 AM

    Nice! Personally, the lighting looks fine to me!

  • DM-Worm (UT3) (updated beta 2)

    • tofu
    • September 16, 2008 at 12:50 PM
    Quote from merkaba

    Yes, I decided to have a go at some cave design last night, using Hourences method. It's all fine and dandy, but I find myself falling through the floor of my mesh. Maybe I missed something obvious, and I'll have another go tonight.

    Check the properties of the mesh inside the generic browser - there should be an option there under collision to use the mesh itself. I don't have any UE3 engine installed at the moment so can't verify, but memory tells me it's there However, I would consider creating your own collision mesh for it. Bullets/physics still react of the exact mesh but the player will be restricted by your collision model.

  • DM-Worm (UT3) (updated beta 2)

    • tofu
    • September 16, 2008 at 2:10 AM
    Quote from merkaba

    Excuse the technical question, but how do you make the cave model collide with the players? I was studying the mesh in the editor, and the mesh itself has no collision and I can't find any clues in the collision section of the actor's properties. Yes, I am sort of new to Unreal engine editing :]

    If the mesh has no collision model, it will use itself for collision - often ludicrously expensive on detailed models. You can disable/enable this collision in the properties but by default it's always on.

  • [TF2] CP_Great_Heights

    • tofu
    • September 13, 2008 at 9:05 AM
    Quote from arhurt

    Nice! I don't know how you are implementing them, but make sure the entrances and exits are set inside some kind of respawn room (as in a room where only your tem can enter) to prevent sticky bomb and sniper camping on the exits.Also make them less than optimal so an engineer can still be useful with teleports of his own

    Yeah that's all been taken care of Engies are permitted to build their entrances inside the safe zone as well, so only their exits are sappable. Whilst that's a bit unfair to spies, the map itself doesn't play much in the offensive engie's favour - we'll see how it pans out over the playtests.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™