1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Erratic

Posts by Erratic

  • I am making a DoD:s map.

    • Erratic
    • August 2, 2007 at 4:32 AM

    I can sorta feel the pain here. I pretty much stopped on my DoD map because I got to destroying buildings and it really wasn't panning out. Maybe I can steal some ideas when you get going JP.

    I think if I can suggest anything, it's stick with the way the destroyed walls were done in dod_flash. Smaller holes, lots of brushes outlining the whole and forming the cracked bits. I find the larger holes in the other maps with mostly displacement just don't work very well. Maybe if I get back in the swing of things I'll post some updates, doubt I'll come up with anything not already done though.

    Even some of the modeled bits of destroyed brick have a nice effect, if that's not too far out of your goal; sticking strictly with stock content and such.

  • ICO Creator on God of War I/II

    • Erratic
    • August 2, 2007 at 4:21 AM
    Quote from Sentura

    having played both games i can say that i think of them as the epitome of console gaming; quite possibly the 2 best console games i have ever laid my hands on.

    GoW I/II or ICO and SotC? Either way, I agree. The translation is a little iffy, yeah, little confusion in places but you take away the gist of what he's getting at.

  • ICO Creator on God of War I/II

    • Erratic
    • August 2, 2007 at 1:54 AM

    There's a short interview with ICO/Shadow of the Colossus creator about his take on the God of War games over at Cory Barlog's blog. It's a quick little read but it's not often you see Japanese developers talk about other games very often. Especially Western ones.

    Wish this kind of open discussion occurred more often in game development

    http://%7boption%7d

    Also, that blog displays weird in Firefox for some reason.

  • Unreal vs Source.

    • Erratic
    • August 1, 2007 at 9:58 PM
    Quote from ShaDoW

    .. and the Source user base is in my opinion larger.

    That's probably more of a fact, though.

    Unreal hasn't really changed much over the years either I don't think. Now, I haven't touched UE3 yet to see how far the tools have come, but up until now the editor has been pretty much the same since UT1. Which is the same scenario as Hammer save for some engine specific stuff with Source. The core of these tools really hasn't changed at all. It's just a matter of Unreal Ed having always sort of been ahead of the pack when it came to down to features/functionality. And for the longest time it's only really been the lighting preview that's pushed it ahead in my opinion. The rest is preference.

  • PCGamer's Bioshock review

    • Erratic
    • July 31, 2007 at 5:52 PM
    Quote from dux

    No doubt it will run like complete shit on my system though.

    [Blocked Image: http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/eot_mapcore/smilie.gif]

  • PCGamer's Bioshock review

    • Erratic
    • July 31, 2007 at 5:47 PM

    Now, which platform to get it on. [Blocked Image: http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/eot_mapcore/smilie.gif]

  • Interview with Garry on Shacknews

    • Erratic
    • July 27, 2007 at 12:23 AM
    Quote from FMPONE

    Thats an interesting point, almost all of these games have more players than retail FPS games multiplayer mode (with the exception of a few)

    Being free for one of the most (if not the most) popular PC game is the primary reason.

  • First MGS4 gameplay footage

    • Erratic
    • July 26, 2007 at 4:11 PM
    Quote from buddy the designer

    "Drum can" attack? Common! Where does he keeps this barrel btw.

    Well, if he can materialize a box out of thin air, why not a barrel? :wink:

  • First MGS4 gameplay footage

    • Erratic
    • July 26, 2007 at 2:19 PM

    Actually, I generally like where they're taking it this time, I'm just kinda torn with the further addition of minute actions for Snake.

    As far as Snake Eater goes I probably should have enjoyed it more considering I loved the first two. Just a combination of the micromanagement stuff for Snake, cutscene dialogue and the dated controls kinda pushed me away. But it has the markings of a great game, no doubt.

  • First MGS4 gameplay footage

    • Erratic
    • July 26, 2007 at 4:49 AM

    I dunno, ever since Snake Eater I've been really turned against the Metal Gear series and this seems to be taking it even further. The number of actions that snake can perform seems to have tripled and I found that controlling snake in the last game was cumbersome enough.

    Stuff like an over the shoulder view and a first person view. I just don't really see the need for having both. Sure it's cool to have options, but I'm getting the sense the game can't decide what it wants to be exactly. And with all these actions available to Snake there must be some redundancy going on. I'm all for giving players control and choosing how they want to play the game, but if there's no real need for certain actions, it's kind of empty design. Not to mention adding to the complexity of playing the game.

    Yes, no one's played it yet so I'm basically talking out of my ass but I'm a bit worried about some of the stuff I saw going on. That and the past game's tendency towards similar things.

    That aside, I really do like the setting and the scenario. How you're sort of on the sidelines and your interaction with the factions can alter the way stuff plays out. Plus the crawling/rolling/shooting on your back stuff was really neat, but again, how many different states can Snake have?

    Oh, and of course it looks bad ass all around, from the environments to the effects.

  • Insurgency Trailer Release & Website Launch

    • Erratic
    • July 24, 2007 at 2:12 PM

    Soundscapes are there they just seem to be very very quiet for some reason.

  • [DOD:S] dod_snowblind_b1

    • Erratic
    • July 22, 2007 at 4:21 PM

    Yeah I like it, has a nice open feel to it, like something out of Red Orchestra.

  • Holy shit

    • Erratic
    • July 22, 2007 at 3:29 PM
    Quote from Taylor

    I prefer it without the self-important rants and wankery.

    Shacknews is better in that regard, but damn it, Kotaku is so fast.

  • Silicon Knights sues Epic Games

    • Erratic
    • July 20, 2007 at 6:11 PM

    The thing that struck me was how specific the document was with its allegations. I was expecting something a lot more vague, laced with legal babble.

    Than again, I'm not all that well versed in this sort of thing.

  • The random model thread!

    • Erratic
    • July 19, 2007 at 2:26 PM

    The metal bits are bland, but the knob size is pretty accurate I think. Door handles really aren't all that big from what I've noticed.

  • The random model thread!

    • Erratic
    • July 19, 2007 at 4:50 AM

    This door is so next gen:

    [Blocked Image: http://www.joeyadey.com/next_gen_door.jpg]

    Just for you, Hessi.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Erratic
    • July 19, 2007 at 3:03 AM
    Quote from ReNo

    On the topic of rugs - rug overdose! I can count 7 of them in that last shot

    That's probably one of the decals in INS with like 6 rugs on it. Better to take that up with the texture artist than PogoP.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Erratic
    • July 13, 2007 at 4:44 PM

    I like the bars, similar to the HL2 train ones, just without env mapping.

  • [serious] Is RD still alive?

    • Erratic
    • July 8, 2007 at 1:53 AM
    Quote from JeanPaul

    Hey guys

    I 'lol'd'.

  • where to start...

    • Erratic
    • July 6, 2007 at 4:21 PM

    What exactly about Gears levels impressed you? Was it the visuals or was it the actual level layouts and the flow of the game?

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    October 6, 2026 at 9:01 AM
  2. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™