1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Erratic

Posts by Erratic

  • Trouble Designing A Layout

    • Erratic
    • July 18, 2008 at 2:41 PM

    The paper layout approach never really worked for me, at least in the way that I always understood it. Expecting to take a 2D overhead drawing and translate it into 3D is sorta nonsense in my opinion. It's useful for a collection of ideas and going through the motions of figuring certain things out but in the end I find so many of the best decisions are made on the fly and just screwing around with the geometry in editor to get a sense of what works best and what doesn't for the layout/composition/connections between areas.

    I have no real good advice for the best process of getting a level going, but I always find the seat-of-your pants approach works best for me. Which probably stems mostly from the fact that I can't draw for shit, so the editor has always been the best tool for me. All I'd say is create one small section of your level that encompasses some of the main ideas you want to include regarding gameplay/theme/architecture/shape/lighting whatever and expand from that one piece. That's essentially how I've done every level I've made (and still do).

    Try not to think about it and just get something on screen that looks cool and go from there. I always felt like I was pissing away time over thinking a layout or idea, when I could have just been rolling with it in 3D.

  • Custom Gears of War map - duckncover

    • Erratic
    • July 17, 2008 at 7:33 PM

    The floor in the last screen is pretty dark, kind of disorienting for gameplay.

  • WoW is 500x better when you're dead.

    • Erratic
    • July 17, 2008 at 12:48 AM

    lol, WoW.

  • E3 2008

    • Erratic
    • July 16, 2008 at 10:07 PM
    Quote from Buddy

    Wow Wolfenstein: Singularity.

    Goddamn Raven is starting to be next Activision Value :roll:

    You know, they didn't do the last soldier of fortune. Also, Singularity looks cool.

  • Dead Space

    • Erratic
    • July 16, 2008 at 7:51 PM

    I always liked the design for the main character I just haven't seen much else shown about the game to feel any which way about it. Definitely keeping an eye out for it though.

  • E3 2008

    • Erratic
    • July 16, 2008 at 4:13 PM

    Killzone 2 is looking cool, the multiplayer trailer was one of the few things from Sony that had me interested. I couldn't care less about the God of War 3 CG trailer. Fat Princess also looked really cool from the few clips I saw during the press conference's PSN line up. Like some violent cartoonish dota looking thing, looking forward to it.

    Also, the dashboard redesign for 360 is nice but avatars are a big :roll:

    Nintendo... :-|

    Though Madworld is looking completely awesome: http://%7boption%7d

  • POLL: Mappingcontest

    • Erratic
    • July 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM

    So, was Portal the likely choice? Should someone setup a thread setting the dates and guidlines and all that?

  • RAGE

    • Erratic
    • July 15, 2008 at 2:54 PM
    Quote from Buddy

    Tech - CheckArt - Check

    Gameplay -

    I'm trying to think of the last time id made a bad game...

    ...

    ...

    ...

    Oh right, never.

  • Prince of Persia E3 trailer is live

    • Erratic
    • July 15, 2008 at 2:51 PM

    Is that...Sigur ros?

    Looking really cool, whipping that chick around at enemies is gonna be sweet.

  • Flagship is going bust!?

    • Erratic
    • July 15, 2008 at 1:27 AM

    Mythos was becoming really well regarded overall as well. I'm think that loss is going to hit harder than Hellgate.

  • Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox 360

    • Erratic
    • July 15, 2008 at 1:23 AM

    Tell me when God of War 3 and the next Team ICO game have gone to the 360, then I'll regret my PS3 purchase.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Erratic
    • July 13, 2008 at 10:49 PM
    Quote from Psycho

    [attachment=0]island-2.jpg[/attachment]Texture test for an upcoming TF2 map.

    A sandy TF2 beach map could be seriously cool. [Blocked Image: http://www.vulomedia.com/images/71726smilie.gif]

  • STALKER: Clear Sky

    • Erratic
    • July 12, 2008 at 2:22 AM
    Quote

    ":337ov3i8]seen the video.also seen some new footage I havent seen before, I like the part where you'r at that tower and than suddenly the sky turns red, damn, that's so atmospheric!

    That tall brown grass, field bog place looked really cool. Pretty creepy little setting.

  • Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising

    • Erratic
    • July 11, 2008 at 11:29 PM
    Quote from Buddy

    Yes it was stated that its prerendered using ingame assets.

    Oh god, why? This isn't helping me get excited for the next Op Flash, especially since the original team is off doing ArmA (an awesome game no one cares about, btw)

  • Max Payne [movie]

    • Erratic
    • July 11, 2008 at 3:47 AM
    Quote from Jetsetlemming

    Mark Wahlberg doesn't look like Max Payne. Otherwise, it looked pretty good.

    Could have been worse. They could have got Michael Madsen.

  • Mapcore mapping contest?

    • Erratic
    • July 8, 2008 at 11:08 PM

    Is the prestigious Mapcore Spotlight not prize enough?

  • Mapcore mapping contest?

    • Erratic
    • July 8, 2008 at 2:54 AM
    Quote

    ":1zr8e6b8]I still don't get it why you guys want to limit this compo to a single engine/game, you'r missing the point.

    kk, you use Cryengine 2.0, I'll use the half-life 1 engine, let's see who ends up making the prettiest level.

    I get what you're saying but I think the relativity of that sorta thing may be a bit of a stretch? You eliminate a lot of ambiguity in terms of what the 'best' map is when it's all on a level playing field.

  • What have you purchased recently?

    • Erratic
    • July 7, 2008 at 11:01 PM

    Yay, finally found this in retail box.

    [Blocked Image: http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/wampir01/img.jpg]

    also nabbed

    [Blocked Image: http://mytintinnabulary.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/world-ends2.jpg]

  • Mapcore mapping contest?

    • Erratic
    • July 6, 2008 at 9:25 PM

    Portal mapping contest!Or another HL1DM contest, that could be really fun.

    It's always a safe bet with Valve tech for participation.

    Or maybe even a full on TF2 map contest. If enough people are up for a more serious/time consuming project.

  • Diablo 3

    • Erratic
    • July 4, 2008 at 12:41 AM
    Quote from dux

    I'm currently playing Titan Quest Immortal Throne in COOP with my best mate for the second run. Massive game. Took us like a whole week to get through the game and the expansion. Now we're doing it again I'm a level 17 Hunter and he's a level 16 Necromancer.Our last 2 characters were 45+ Warrior and Rouge.

    I always forget how big it actually is. I should have picked up the expansion for my current run through, but I felt guilty cause I never actually beat vanilla TQ before. Last time I tried I pumped way too many points into some lame ass wolves with my Defender/Nature class and by the time I was in China my wolves were useless and I had nothing else leveled up. Was a pretty fucking noob move on my part Those bipedal tigers were owning me hard.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:18 AM
  2. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:17 AM
  3. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:14 AM
  4. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Minos
    October 6, 2026 at 4:13 AM
  5. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™