1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Zacker

Posts by Zacker

  • Second release - 5 skies.

    • Zacker
    • August 27, 2005 at 3:53 PM

    Those skies are pretty well made! Made in which program?

  • Guess the map!

    • Zacker
    • August 26, 2005 at 9:28 PM

    Lol yeah I also remember cs_rio as a true top quality map.

  • 3D- Arts and Design School

    • Zacker
    • August 26, 2005 at 4:20 PM

    Sounds very cool!

  • What areas should I focus on as a game dev?

    • Zacker
    • August 26, 2005 at 4:16 PM

    It is one of my biggest wishes that I one day get a job in the game dev industry. I am however not really sure of what I should work on in order to get a such job. Considering the amount of industry guys in here, it should be possible to get some answers.

    I can do all kind of stuff related to game design, I do only master a few things though. Which skills can give me a job in the game dev industry?

    Until now I have only made maps in VHE. Would it be best to become even better with VHE or should I look into learning level design for other engines? Do they prefer a guy who is ok at 3 engines or someone who master 1 engine?

    I can also program in some languages such as php, actionscript, c++, TI-basic, Java and some others, nothing really hardcore though. Would it be wise learn some more programming? Can this work together with level design?

    Texturing/skinning is another area which I got some experience in. I am still not any good at it compared to the pros though. I guess that this is one of the things which would be good to know if you want a position as level designer?

    The last 2 years or so I have been project leader. Is this worth anything? If I want a job as level designer, does it then matter that I can lead a team? Would it maybe be better just to get someone else to lead SoW and then focus on my position as Lead Level Designer?

  • New Doom movie trailer

    • Zacker
    • August 26, 2005 at 2:06 PM

    I think the trailer look pretty much as expected. It was nothing special, but still ok action.

    They aren't allowed to portray Hell because of the budget:D

  • [tutorial] rocks !

    • Zacker
    • August 25, 2005 at 9:12 PM

    Looks like a good and simple tutorial!

  • So who else is waiting for DoD:S

    • Zacker
    • August 25, 2005 at 3:39 PM

    DoD was a really great game once, back in the times with beta 1-1.3b. After that it was still an ok fun mod, but nothing really special.

    I will wait with judging DoD:Source until I have tried it. It might be a game which I am going to use some time on, but it is also very possible that I will drop it after a few hours of play.

  • Hey guys

    • Zacker
    • August 24, 2005 at 7:23 PM

    Welcome!

    Yep, I still got the music from Doom on my hdd as it is still fantastic:) E3M9 and Endmission are among my favorites.

  • Almost been a year...

    • Zacker
    • August 24, 2005 at 7:15 PM
    Quote from Mazy

    Oh yes, the next one's gonna be even better

    FOFMG HE BROEKS TEH NDA!!11

    aarrhgh

    I actually think that game firms would get some of their best possible advertising and hype if some more of their workers broke the nda's. Reading a press announcement or seeing an add is far from cool, getting to hear insider details on a new game certainly is!

  • Why do texture artists always get shafted?

    • Zacker
    • August 24, 2005 at 7:12 PM

    I don't understand your frustration as I see it the other way around. I think that in general the texture artists are the most respected and the most wanted.

    As a level designer I know how extremely much a texture guy means and I am pretty sure most other people do too.

    I think the reason why texture artists are so looked up to is because that a good texture artist is very rare. There are plenty of level designers, programmers and such, but not that many texture artists.

    In my experience texture artists have for sure been the hardest ones to find to recruit for Sands of War. As it is now it is the same situation as ever, texture artists are what we really need.

  • Almost been a year...

    • Zacker
    • August 24, 2005 at 2:35 PM

    Nice! FarCry was a damn well made game, so it's really cool that you stay there:)

  • Cliff textures. (DL and screens (alot))

    • Zacker
    • August 24, 2005 at 2:33 PM

    Yep, thats cool:)

  • Job Stuff

    • Zacker
    • August 22, 2005 at 6:31 PM
    Quote from theiggsta

    Well so much for that, I just got another e-mail from HR that tells me I don't have the job. Miscommunication sucks, but I will keep in contact about the internship.Oh well, better luck next time maybe

    Ohh man, I feel sorry for you, that must be like really downtrip to discover that...

  • HL2 High-detail skin pack

    • Zacker
    • August 22, 2005 at 6:16 PM

    I think the skins in the first shot look very nice. Some high res skins can indeed improve the characters a lot, something which I guess most can agree on why they compare the normal g-man and the high res gman in HL2.

  • Guess the map!

    • Zacker
    • August 22, 2005 at 6:11 PM
    Quote from Mazy

    the remake was crap tho imo, the simplicity of the original made it alot better imo :Gstill, the original is one of the best maps to date

    UT was a really fantastic game, but UT2004 is just perfect. UT2k3 was a bit of a bummer where they just focused on gfx, but in UT2k4 they got it about as perfect as a shooter can get. Everything from the graphics, to the music, gameplay, maps and everything was just one level above what most other fps games could deliver.

    Quote

    cs_costabrava by DrDK

    Yep, the back area is somewhat easy to recognize.

  • Quake 3 Source Code Released!

    • Zacker
    • August 21, 2005 at 5:24 PM

    Great to finally have the Q3 source open source!

  • Unreal Engine 4 announced

    • Zacker
    • August 19, 2005 at 2:21 PM

    Of course firms are "working on" what comes far out in the future. Its only good to get a good early start on things so that they are ready in time. At Sands of War we do also got an experimental version of beta 3 running, but this does not mean that it will come any time soon.

    I do however also believe that this guy is driving it a bit too far by saying stuff like that they have been working with UE4 for 2 years...

  • Guess the map!

    • Zacker
    • August 19, 2005 at 2:10 PM

    2fort from TFC? It has some similarities with it, but I am also certain that I did not play that version.

  • Guess the map!

    • Zacker
    • August 15, 2005 at 4:49 PM

    I should watch this thread some more as I knew the last two ones:) The last one is Datacore, so post a new pic Mazy:)

  • Cliff textures. (DL and screens (alot))

    • Zacker
    • August 15, 2005 at 4:42 PM

    They look pretty good! Judging from the pics I don't think the normal map adds a lot to the textures just as someone else also said.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™