1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Zacker

Posts by Zacker

  • de_Strife

    • Zacker
    • April 2, 2007 at 9:16 AM

    It looks incredible generic.

  • Level designer vs Environment designer

    • Zacker
    • April 1, 2007 at 1:24 PM

    If you want to strip it down to one word it can be said like this:

    Level Designer: Gameplay

    Environment Artist: Looks

    One thing however is certain, all companies have more or less different interpretations of these roles.

    It also comes down to the tools a lot. Previously at IO the level gameplay was set up using an internal scripting language called SDL. This required the level designers to either be able to script themselfs or have dedicated level scripters working with them.

    These days gameplay is set up using a flowgraph-like tool, which has completely removed the position of level scripter and also removed the requirement for level designers to know any kind of scripting.

    So even within the same company, it can change a lot.

    Furthermore it is differentiated depending on the team. On my team I am the only pure level designer, but we are not exactly like any other IO team.

    And ohh Warby, there should be good chances that you also get to do some art stuff at some point.

  • dm_grale (updated on 15-08-09)

    • Zacker
    • March 31, 2007 at 9:14 PM

    That big rock or whatever it is looks really wierd.

  • Nordic Game 2007

    • Zacker
    • March 31, 2007 at 9:13 PM

    The nordic governments have started to pump some millions into the Nordic Game program, which is clearly paying of now. It seems as if NG 2007 is going to be way larger than last year.

    I have heard that they are also going to be showing the games we made at NG jam, anyone going should definatly check them out.

  • More Material Slots in 3ds max

    • Zacker
    • March 31, 2007 at 12:34 PM

    The idea of a fixed amount of materials is ancient indeed.

  • dm_Monstar

    • Zacker
    • March 30, 2007 at 1:47 PM

    Looks pretty good.

  • The random model thread!

    • Zacker
    • March 30, 2007 at 9:29 AM

    Looks good Rick, but the building itself seems a little too simple compared to the nice amount of detail on the roof. Also, it looks an a little wierd with so many similar airconditioners/ventilators.

  • Americans are NOT stupid

    • Zacker
    • March 30, 2007 at 9:25 AM

    Hey guys I am sorry if I started a hate thread, that was not my intention. Take the video for what it is, fun, and nothing more.

  • DE_Museum coming to Source!

    • Zacker
    • March 28, 2007 at 11:58 AM

    Lots of potential indeed.

  • Americans are NOT stupid

    • Zacker
    • March 28, 2007 at 9:22 AM

    This might be old, but it's gold:

    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

  • Oz PS3 Launch....

    • Zacker
    • March 27, 2007 at 9:42 AM

    We just received a PS3 here and damn the games look ugly in 576i or whatever it runs on when using the standard cable. I am totally with Mazy on this one, what the fuck is up with having a hd console but only bundling it with crap cables?

    A week ago I also tried Resistance and that was a fairly pleasing experience. I was able to jump right into the middle of the game without any kind of tutorial or instructions and yet I kicked bug-ass. It is probably boring in the long run, but for 5 minutes of play it did fantastic.

  • System Shock 2 - Full visual walkthough

    • Zacker
    • March 26, 2007 at 8:23 AM

    SS2 was a fantastic game and also incredible scary. I never dared to get all the way through it.

  • Texture Scene 2: Aztec Gold

    • Zacker
    • March 22, 2007 at 8:19 PM

    Images don't work for me.

  • Test your IQ bitchez

    • Zacker
    • March 22, 2007 at 6:00 PM

    Yeah what was up with the insane english words? I understand normal english just fine, but I had never heard of half of those words in the first test before.

    The only offline test I have ever taken was the one during the military commitee(where they check if you are eligle for the army), in which I scored a 5 on scale going from 1-5. So cool enough with the topscore, but I got no idea of what it corresponds to in IQ.

  • WIP in WIP, post your level screenshots!

    • Zacker
    • March 21, 2007 at 1:56 PM

    Looks good tomdon, but I see 3 issues(and solutions):

    - Textures need to be aligned properly on the inenr arches. Alt+right click is your friend here.

    - The "broken" pieces of the upper wall texture got some visible tiling. Work with your geometry to hide it.

    - The transition between your lower and upper wall texture is way too sharp. Blend the two textures together better.

  • Test your IQ bitchez

    • Zacker
    • March 20, 2007 at 10:06 PM

    Being smart is about realizing exactly how smart you are. Or however it is that quote goes. Anwyays I guessed my IQ to be 100 before the test and check the result here below. Apparently I am as average as it can get.

    Also interesting that it I am clearly more of a logic/math guy compared to perception and memory.

    [Blocked Image: http://thefuture.dk/1/iqtest.png]

  • This is... SPARTAAAA!!!

    • Zacker
    • March 20, 2007 at 9:39 PM

    Haha that is hillarious! He could have kicked her in a little more gentle way though and it would still be fun.

  • Summer is coming - maybe MapCore T-Shirts?

    • Zacker
    • March 19, 2007 at 12:58 PM

    I remember discussing the subject of Mapcore T-shirts some years ago, but I don't think it ever got any further?

    I believe that we are a lot who would want one, especially if it's decent quality and looks good. Considering all the amazing graphic guys we got here, it should be possible that someone could design a nice Mapcore t-shirt.

  • Eidos goes Steam

    • Zacker
    • March 19, 2007 at 12:56 PM

    Yay, it seems as if the Hitman games are selling really well. The collection package is 3rd on sales, beating everything but the two cs games.

  • Texture Scene 1: Calm

    • Zacker
    • March 19, 2007 at 8:27 AM

    Those textures look pretty good. Some of the architecture in that map also looks interesting, despite being pretty random.

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Radu
    October 1, 2026 at 7:05 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™