1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. Lee3dee

Posts by Lee3dee

  • MapCore Job Census

    • Lee3dee
    • March 10, 2009 at 7:19 AM

    Starting my new gig at Bioware Austin at the end of the month, go ahead and update me too

  • Scene from a Movie - Aliens

    • Lee3dee
    • March 9, 2009 at 9:20 AM

    Finished modeling the center piece of the scene, NorthLock

    [Blocked Image: http://www.3dwasabi.com/Models/GA-Aliens/NorthLock.jpg]

    and what it looks in Crysis with the other models

    [Blocked Image: http://www.3dwasabi.com/Models/GA-Aliens/NorthLockCrysis.jpg]

    4:20am, time to pass out. texturing starts tomorrow

  • Scene from a Movie - Aliens

    • Lee3dee
    • March 9, 2009 at 3:36 AM

    Yeah, 23 days and counting.....but what makes it harder for me is that I'm moving to Austin, TX to start my new job at Bioware at the end of the month. So, I'll be juggling moving, packing, and the competition. I wonder if the competition will get an extension

  • Scene from a Movie - Aliens

    • Lee3dee
    • March 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM

    [HP] has done a lot of work, I'm kinda slow at modeling. I've been trying to push as much detail into the building structures as possible. Working on North Lock at the moment which is the center piece of the film.

  • Wow...it's another portfolio thread

    • Lee3dee
    • February 15, 2009 at 6:27 AM

    A fellow Plano resident! I clicked the link to download you gears map but there wasn't one. If you going to display your maps, you may want to include a map for download. There are tons of talent looking for work in the Dallas area looking for work, I was laid off from Gearbox in November with a bunch of other people and i haven't found anything yet No job is ever safe, even when you think it is especially in this economy.

    You went to SMU Guild Hall, Gearbox takes in a lot of people from there. Good luck on your job search.

  • [cod4] AirBase

    • Lee3dee
    • February 9, 2009 at 11:20 PM

    figured out my problem. when compiling for TDM or multiplayer you need to put mp_ at the beginning of the name. I just had airbase.map discovered the fix on cod mapping forum site.

    Thanks CompoSITe that tip, btw.

  • [cod4] AirBase

    • Lee3dee
    • February 8, 2009 at 11:08 PM

    Thanks for the support guys

    CompoSITe: thanks for the tips

    [HP] : I was thinking about applying to IW but I really don't think my abilities are good enough to apply there at the moment. Maybe after i've cranked out a few quality maps or 1 kick ass map. I originally started learning the cod4 radiant because I thought it maybe good for me to learn a version of radiant should I apply to any company that uses radiant, then i could at least know how to use the tools, as opposed to "i just opened it and made a room, from the tutorial" Sadly, my hunger for knowledge and seeing how others seem to make cod4 maps, fueled my interest .

    These are some of the rare tutorials I found

    http://www.modsonline.com/

    http://www.infinitytutorials.com/wiki/i ... ry:Codmwmp

    http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.ph ... mapping_mp

    I'm definitely having issues learning the tools, spawners seem to never work for me, I always get a compile error when making reflections "cannot find spawn point", but once I figure out what I've been doing wrong hopefully it should all fall into place. I definitely miss the "right click, play from here" feature that unreal has.

    At least the positives for being unemployed is that I can learn new tools

  • [cod4] AirBase

    • Lee3dee
    • February 6, 2009 at 6:34 AM

    Thanks guys Its fun learning a new editor that's not Unreal Small hangar populated with meshes (completed), moving onto control tower next.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.3dwasabi.com/levels/mods/cod4/1stMap/SmallHangarObjPass.jpg]

    Things I have discovered so far

    - you cannot scale the mesh enity using the scale in selection. You have to scale it by adding a value to the mesh entity.

    - xmodels pictures are way easier than going through all them 1 by 1 (thanks Frittz)

    - duplicating the mesh and copying and pasting the name from the xmodel pics folder into the entity window is way faster than going through the model list looking for it.

    - selecting a brush and then middle clicking on any texture applies it to the brush. (very handy)

    - hitting escape every time is gets annoying for deselecting, but the brush tools are awesome!

  • [WIP] mp_cc - Chechnyan Crisis [COD4]

    • Lee3dee
    • February 6, 2009 at 4:49 AM
    Quote from Frittz

    You can create a link to the folder where the xmodel pics are located. I have one on my desktop!

    well u didn't say they were in Docs/model_pics. Now I know where to look quickly. Now i need to find a better way to rotate textures quicker than using the surface browser.

  • [cod4] AirBase

    • Lee3dee
    • February 5, 2009 at 7:26 AM

    After watching many tutorials and asking Sensei KungFuSquirrel for radiant tips, I started my map COD4 map today.

    First building, small Hangar (Reference from Pearl Harbour)

    [Blocked Image: http://www.3dwasabi.com/levels/mods/cod4/1stMap/SmallHangar_ref.jpg]

    I need to get my brush speed up. lol This took at least 6 hours I opened the air vent at the top so someone could possible throw a grenade through it.

    [Blocked Image: http://www.3dwasabi.com/levels/mods/cod4/1stMap/SmallHangar.jpg]

    Some general radiant questions:

    1. do you make decals using brushes? or patches? or is there another way.

    2. is there an easier way to rotate textures then inputting numbers into the surface browser. UE3 has a texture gizmo that you can manipulate it on the bsp, wondering if radiant does also.

  • [WIP] mp_cc - Chechnyan Crisis [COD4]

    • Lee3dee
    • January 29, 2009 at 9:20 AM

    CompoSITe: Thanks. There are a few models in xmodel that I want to use in my map that I don't see in prefabs.

    I wish there was a way to look though the xmodel folder quicker. There's too much in there! would be nice for a quick thumbnail preview.

  • Dawn of War II beta

    • Lee3dee
    • January 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM

    I downloaded it last night from steam, why the hell are we forced to use "games for windows live" whats wrong with relic's servers to play. It worked for dow1. So after many many attempts to login using my xbox account, and getting the same "you account is invalid" the beta came and went for me. I'll keep playing dow1 and Company of Heroes, having to use GFW i'll be passing on my purchase.

    They should of gone with Steam.

  • UT3 editor

    • Lee3dee
    • January 26, 2009 at 8:19 PM

    free on Youtube. The videos come with UT3 dvd collectors edition if you wanted higher quality version.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k6ImhLtGnI

  • [UT3] - Waterfall

    • Lee3dee
    • January 25, 2009 at 7:06 AM

    maybe adding some water splashes to the waterfall

  • [UT3] - Waterfall

    • Lee3dee
    • January 23, 2009 at 4:15 PM

    no problem, lets us know when you have done some optimization so i can run through it again. If you have any questions just ask

  • [WIP] mp_cc - Chechnyan Crisis [COD4]

    • Lee3dee
    • January 23, 2009 at 7:41 AM

    awesome map! I've been messing around with the cod4 editor also, barely gotten to the level that you have accomplished here. Coming from Unreal 3, radiants navigation controls are very annoying! having to hit escape everytime to deselect a brush gets frustrating. I do like its prefabs option for bsp, and the bsp tools are sweet, oh an patches are awesome! I really miss the 4 windows from unreal 3.

    I had some question

    * When you were adding meshes were you getting them from the xmodel directory? because i noticed that every model that I brought in didn't have any collision associated with it, so I had to build my own collision as bsp.

    * Did you build the houses first? then add the terrain? and did you have to stitch the terrain patches together once you were completed?

    * Did you ever have any problems where the gun/player would be multicolored?

    Thanks

    -Lee

  • [UT3] - Waterfall

    • Lee3dee
    • January 23, 2009 at 7:28 AM

    I walked around your map in the editor, you definitely need to implement some optimization. I outlined a few areas where collision can be simplified with blocking volumes. Once you've optimized it a bit it it will be a fun map for a few people.

    Remove these the collision on these pieces of rock and make a blocking volume that is the shame of it. I found myself getting stuck occasionally.

    [Blocked Image: http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9751/waterfall01rh8.jpg]

    I would do the same thing here also, simplify the collision mesh using a blocking volumes.

    [Blocked Image: http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9423/waterfall02be3.jpg]

    This island is only accessible from a certain direction which makes if frustrating depending where you are located. I would add a blocking volume that on the sides where the collision stops the player from collecting the health, or rebuild the collision using a blocking volume.

    [Blocked Image: http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5207/waterfall03rh1.jpg]

    These rocks in the distance don't need to have collision, its wasted processing power. Make some simple blocking out there. incase a projectile happens to go there.

    [Blocked Image: http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7109/waterfall04wm2.jpg]

    Same with these rock pieces, they are wasted processing power, be better to simplify the collision with a volume.

    [Blocked Image: http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1759/waterfall05jc5.jpg]

    If you are unsure about how to remove collision from a mesh, Hit F4 and goto collision tab and theres a drop down menu, just select nocollision.

  • New Portfolio site - Interview - 180 TCOS screenshots

    • Lee3dee
    • November 29, 2008 at 8:53 PM

    Inspiring work Hourences as usual

    I'm patiently waiting for them to release TCOS to the US, but i didn't see any information on their site

  • Editor tools what to learn next?

    • Lee3dee
    • November 29, 2008 at 8:02 PM

    I'm more interested in broadening my tools than being only limited to 1 editor. Isn't radiant used in a lot of games recently? Is hammer similar to radiant? so would it be easier to learn radiant over Hammer?

  • Editor tools what to learn next?

    • Lee3dee
    • November 29, 2008 at 6:54 PM

    With my recent layoff from Gearbox, I've been using this past month to work on art tests but I want to start expanding my knowledge of other game editors. I've been using Unreal tools for about 4 years, so its very familiar to me, but I feel as though its limiting me when applying for jobs.

    Which editor do you think would be easy for me to pickup and start learning. I briefly experimented with COD4 radiant a few months ago found the navigation difficult compared to Unreal. Unreal tool set has spoiled me with its ease of use.

    thanks

    Lee

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™