1. Forums
  2. Discord
  3. About Mapcore
  4. Patreon Supporters
  • Login
  • Register
  • Search
Everywhere
  • Everywhere
  • Articles
  • Pages
  • Forum
  • More Options
  1. Mapcore
  2. Members
  3. CompoSITe

Posts by CompoSITe

  • Making of COD4 maps

    • CompoSITe
    • November 5, 2007 at 9:19 PM

    Yeah, I guess we're still old school in that we designers build the levels (good old brush work). We just put in requests for models and textures we need.

    Building process....I guess I get an idea for a layout and kind of sketch it out in Radiant, just rough it out with blocky masses or prefabed buildings from other levels to get a sense of size and distance. Then run around it in and see how things look. Then check it in and get people to play it so you can see how it holds up (and not listen to the wise-ass's telling you it doesn't look done)

    Theres more to it but that is the start.

  • Making of COD4 maps

    • CompoSITe
    • November 5, 2007 at 6:09 PM

    Glad you like it Mazy.

    Alex R made Overgrown and I made Crash. It's funny that they found that old layout for Crash.

  • MOH Airborne. YAHTZEE STYLE

    • CompoSITe
    • November 4, 2007 at 6:04 PM

    Lol, I can't wait until he tears us a new one.

  • Call Of Duty 4 demo

    • CompoSITe
    • October 15, 2007 at 4:06 PM

    Looks like the spec and model shadows have been turned off on your comp Mr.h20.

    Thats why I tend to like the 360 more, you have base specs that let you present the game looking the same on every 360.

    I am also not a huge fan of Bog A (maybe I have played it too much, lol). I think the rest of the game is actual much better imo. Good to hear all the input.

  • Halo 3 - No Spoilers Plz K Thnx

    • CompoSITe
    • October 4, 2007 at 6:57 AM

    My 360 has red ringed on me again. Number 5 is on its way back to Texas.

    I did "finish the fight" (until halo4 comes) though and I have to say I agree with Yahtzee on a lot of things.

  • Bungie + Microsoft calling the quits?

    • CompoSITe
    • October 2, 2007 at 11:17 PM

    I have heard it is true as well.

  • Crysis MP Exclusive Beta

    • CompoSITe
    • September 14, 2007 at 6:55 PM

    Umm....this doesn't sound good.

    DX9 vs. DX10 – The endless question

    To shed some light into one of the most discussed topics regarding Crysis multiplayer I would like to explain you the differences between Crysis MP DX9 and DX10.

    As for the DX9 version we won’t have physics and day and night cycle in-game. That means you won’t be able to shoot down trees and/or alter any other objects than vehicles on the map. Additionally the time of day setting doesn’t change dynamically. This is caused due to the tremendous server load such physics might cause on crowded gaming servers. Still you will be able to experience maps with different time of day settings since the maps can be altered in the Sandbox2 Editor.

    Rather than providing the community partially working features we limit this for the DX10 version only. Due to the strong hardware available with DX10, server load is less and performance is increased. This ensures the pure physics and day and night cycle experience without any limitation.

    Gamers with a DX10 card are able to play on DX9 servers, but with the limitation of the respective server. Vice versa it is not possible for gamers with DX9 cards to play on DX10 servers due to the limited features.

  • Level Designer - Some questions

    • CompoSITe
    • September 5, 2007 at 1:42 AM

    A lot of your questions depends on the company. I have seen some companies where the designers just draw layouts on paper and some artist builds it. At our place we have some designers that are more toward the programing side and designers that are closer to the art side of things.

  • Want one of your own maps reviewed?

    • CompoSITe
    • September 4, 2007 at 6:46 AM

    Crash and Vacant from COD4 beta.

  • Halo 3

    • CompoSITe
    • August 31, 2007 at 7:27 AM

    I think Halo was a hit only because Console guys had never played any Quake type game before it. PC guys look at it and see a game they played five years ago but to Console players it was a whole new world. What FPS on a console was any good before Halo? I would say the best was Goldeneye. The first Turok was descent. Pretty slim pickings after that. They just came out at the right time.

    They also worked very hard to make the controls not only feel good but let you hit a target (which was pretty damn hard on other games before it).

    I was a fan of the first one. I would play CS at work until 10pm, then stumble home and find my roomy had 14+ dudes in the living room having a LAN Halo fest. After a while I started playing and ended up having a great time. I think this was more because of the atmosphere then the game. It was great talking shit to the other team and getting all exited with your team when you won.

    When Halo2 came out and it went online, the atmosphere was gone and I noticed I didn’t have fun playing anymore. The gameplay was just kind of boring to me.

  • MapCore Job Census

    • CompoSITe
    • August 29, 2007 at 9:13 AM

    Hiya Izuno.

    Yeah a few guys still hit up Benihanas. How have you been. (pm me)

  • CALLING ALL ENVIRONMENT ARTISTS!

    • CompoSITe
    • August 15, 2007 at 7:33 AM

    Good read.

    The real trick is to keep all those element yet still keep it within your memory budget and not clutter up gameplay. lol.

  • Silicon Knights sues Epic Games

    • CompoSITe
    • July 20, 2007 at 5:56 PM

    Sk's case actually looks pretty solid.

    The suit initially alleges that: "Rather than provide support to Silicon Knights and Epic’s other many licensees of the Engine, Epic intentionally and wrongfully has used the fees from those licenses to launch its own game to widespread commercial success while simultaneously sabotaging efforts by Silicon Knights and others to develop their own video games."

    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=14759

    Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

  • Peter Moore leaves MS for EA Sports

    • CompoSITe
    • July 18, 2007 at 6:38 AM

    Lol, I believe an ex EA exec is filling his shoes....oddly enough.

  • The Darkness Over Teddy!

    • CompoSITe
    • July 17, 2007 at 6:21 PM

    My roommate is playing it now and loves it. Looks great.

  • MapCore Job Census

    • CompoSITe
    • July 17, 2007 at 9:08 AM

    Lol, hero worship? What the...

    Its great to see so many community guys in the industry now.

  • MapCore Job Census

    • CompoSITe
    • July 15, 2007 at 11:27 PM

    Been with Infinity Ward now for 2 1/2 years or so.

  • Brothers in Arms : Hell's Highway Officially announced.

    • CompoSITe
    • April 13, 2006 at 6:36 PM

    Looks great!

Discord

The Mapcore Discord is our lively IRC channel of the 2000s reborn. Chat about level design, gaming, and more.

Latest Posts

  1. Any of the old guard still around? D:

    Thrik
    September 28, 2026 at 7:26 PM
  2. (HLDM) dm_warehouse

    The_Invader79
    September 20, 2026 at 11:44 AM
  3. [CS:GO][WiP] cs_opera

    leplubodeslapin
    September 17, 2026 at 8:50 AM
  4. Building a Huge Library of Free Images for Everyone

    Thrik
    September 7, 2026 at 10:09 PM
  5. POLYSTRIKE - Finally Announced After Years of Development!

    Mocherad
    August 23, 2026 at 7:56 AM
  6. CS:S | cs_manoir | Map creation process by D'artagnan

    Thrik
    August 3, 2026 at 10:42 AM
  7. Custom Gamemodes Contest

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 11:46 AM
  8. FAQ

    Angel
    July 20, 2026 at 10:14 AM
  9. Tangerine

    Harry Poster
    July 18, 2026 at 11:10 AM
  1. Privacy Policy
  2. Contact
Powered by WoltLab Suite™